Viber introduces cheaper-than-Skype Int'l calls.

Chicog

Mike, please accept my apologies, my reply quoted you rather than Peergin who was making, in my opinion unfounded, allegations against Dellmont. My reply made it look as though it was you who posted the initial warning, and for that I'm sorry.

One point I missed - many of the complaints are of Dellmont misusing Paypal accounts. I didn't think it through (lots of cold and flu medication at the moment). Nobody can misuse your Paypal account unless you allow them to by knowingly or unknowingly giving a criminal your password or by you authorising a regular payment. The merchant knows your email address, but not your password. I repeat, it is not possible for anyone to access your Paypal account unless you have set up an automatic payment of a set amount to that person/merchant. Paypal can doesn't take money FROM people, it sends money TO people. If someone has your password, then you have been using an infected machine and some hacker has stolen it from you.

FWIW, I worked for an Internet Service Provider for many years, and the banks always rolled over pretty much as soon as anyone lodged a complaint about charges on credit cards. In the early days I had requests from them for IP address logs (not possible for the protection of our users' privacy without a police warrant, and they never bothered with one of those - for the amounts involved not worth their time or money. I was quite surprised to find out how high the amount claimed had to be before they would spend resources beyond a form letter requesting IP addresses to track down the criminal ).

There really isn't any risk to you, and when something is free, human nature is to use it more.

PS - whilst working at the ISP, I used to get a lot of people sending me messages similar to Peergin's, from small companies to the biggest telecommunications operator (and at the time one of the top Australian companies by market cap) It seemed the bigger the company, the more fervent the rant. I learnt very quickly to put such messages in File 13.

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic