Thinking Of Moving Daughters And I To Thailand?

These parents you speak of who genuinely remove their children from international schools the caliber of ISB, Patana, Ruamrudee or NIST for these reasons sound quite insecure in their own ability to turn out their children properly.

What you think they sound like, is irrelevant as parents they (and we) make decisions on what is best for their/our children.

But let us not loose sight of my contention, it is not that Thailand cannot provide a good life for young people, rather the life options Thailand offers young foreign children are limited compared to those that they would enjoy at home.

BINGO - GUESTHOUSE IS SPOT ON

It is the better quality of life in Farangland and preparation for future opportunities relative to the possibilities in Thailand which cannot be denied. The Thai experience will add little to the childs future relative to another choice especially with foreign language opportunities ... Japan, China, or possibly a Spanish speaking country.

Ofcourse if you are primarily interested in driving a Tuk-Tuk Thailand is the country of choice.

These parents you speak of who genuinely remove their children from international schools the caliber of ISB, Patana, Ruamrudee or NIST for these reasons sound quite insecure in their own ability to turn out their children properly.

What you think they sound like, is irrelevant as parents they (and we) make decisions on what is best for their/our children.

But let us not loose sight of my contention, it is not that Thailand cannot provide a good life for young people, rather the life options Thailand offers young foreign children are limited compared to those that they would enjoy at home.

[/quote

:D ----It sounds like Skylar is one of the few farang here that really grew up in Thailand. It sounds to me that skylar may have even liked it?? Any thing you could add about living in Thailand as adolescent would be of great help to me (me being a troll and all).

By the way I’m not sure what most men do there?? But I am not the kind of father (or troll)that will just leave his kid’s to cruise girl’s, I watch out for them better than most “two parent”(troll) teams I’ve seen. I have a girlfriend here in the U.S and not in need of a concubine (or lovelies as ElGrande put it) and if I choose to date it will be some one close to my age (as it is now).

I do have friends that own land in Samui, but I don’t think we’ll be living there and not because of crime, were surrounded by that now. I’m planning on staying in Phuket or Bangkok for that is where more schools are and my daughters liked it most.

It is also my belief we are all limited only by are own “blinders”(“set your limits… and sure enough their yours”), if after a year of living in Thailand all we find out is how much more we appreciate the U.S then so be it. Most kid’s here in the states do not realize what they really have. I don’t think that a year or so in Thailand will destroy my daughter’s future. I do believe they will come away with much more than that though.

--------Never the less all your views are very much appreciated and continue to help me in my decision, thank you all for helping (a troll). :o ----P.S driving a tuk tuk could be fun(for a troll like me :D ).

I think that the advice you have received here has been extremely good, not just from men with experience in Thailand but from women too.

If the advice has not been of the kind that possitively supports your ideas, but rather offers alternative views then you need to draw your own conclusions.

You've had the advice, you are an adult, you can choose. So in the long worn out Thai expression, 'Up To You'.

Just be careful.

Gary, I'm not trying to judge you at all. One year may be all right, although I as well as others would strongly advise against it when our opinions are sought. I am merely trying to tell you that unknowing comparisons between the east and west are way off target. That is because we are judging them against what we know as familiar norms, without really understanding their norms.

If you are upset with what you see in the United States, then you will be horrified when you learn about widespread norms here. And also, I believe you are a troll, albeit a useful one, if you are coming to this forum to tell us that you are moving two *pubescent daughters to Samui. There is no way an informed person in their right mind can say that without being a troll.

Kat habla jing jing

Perhaps I may add a little advice to the acres above me.

Firstly, do not decide where to live until you have spent some time in several places. I personally live in Chiang Mai for a host of reasons, not least because the international schooling and general cost of living here is half that of Bangkok, Phuket or Samui. There is also a large expatriate community here and just about all a farang could need.

There are great advantages to an expat lifestyle - and major disadvantages. Start off thinking of this as an educational experience for the children, don't burn your bridges and you should be Okay.

Guesthouse's advice above was spot on, especially regarding not running away from your previous life. The grass is never really greener, just different, no matter how many fences you climb over. Furthermore, a sunnier clime does not make you any happier.

Good luck.

I have been following this thread with great interest as I have a similar predicament to Gary. My circumstances are a little different though as my wife is Thai, and our children are younger. We have to make a decision in about three years time whether to move back to the UK , where I have not lived for 24yrs ! or to Thailand. We have two daughters who will be 5 and 7 when we make the move.

Our English friends say don't move back to England and our Thai friends say don't move to Thailand ! That advice I take cautiously though as neither have experienced life on the "other side". A classic case of the grass is always greener on the other side ! We have looked at the education situation and what really concerns me is what future my children would have in Thailand, but I feel this is tempered by the fact that if , and thats a big if, they get a good education there, then in the world today opportinities are world wide. They hold UK citizenship aswell so why couldn't they return to the UK to work ? or elsewhere in the world for that matter. Hopefully being bi-lingual will also be an advantage.

Is the U.K. or even USA, today really a much better place to raise children ? I am not really sure that they are. Having lived away from the UK for so long it is hard to tell and I can only go by what I am advised. I certainly would not look forward to the climate in the UK !! but that would not be a major consideration.

I think the advice not to burn bridges is critical. I have a house in the UK and would never give that up, alternatively if I lived in Thailand I would rent, so that any exit would be relatively easy.

At the end of the day the decision made MUST be one with the best interests of the children in mind. With my children being young, it probably would not harm them to spend two or three years in Thailand anyway, a more informed decision could then be made. Gary I think your biggest question would be "What impact will moving your daughters have on their education ?" I honestly don't know, but I would have thought at 12 and 13 it might be quite detrimental.

I should add how I fully concur with Khun Jean about the "Tropical Paradise " feeling soon being replaced with "Just another place to live " I know that feeling so well having lived in Bermuda for 24 years !

We are very fortunate in one aspect, and that is the very fact that we have a choice, many people just have to put up with their lot, although having that choice obviously requires making a difficult decision at the end of the day.

Our English friends say don't move back to England and our Thai friends say don't move to Thailand ! That advice I take cautiously though as neither have experienced life on the "other side". A classic case of the grass is always greener on the other side ! We have looked at the education situation and what really concerns me is what future my children would have in Thailand, but I feel this is tempered by the fact that if , and thats a big if, they get a good education there, then in the world today opportinities are world wide. They hold UK citizenship aswell so why couldn't they return to the UK to work ? or elsewhere in the world for that matter. Hopefully being bi-lingual will also be an advantage.

I am also a Brit, with four children; 16, 13, 7 and 6. The elder two have scholarships to good UK private boarding schools. The younger ones are at an international school here in Thailand.

The top international schools in Thailand can compare with the best educational institutes anywhere. So education is not too much of a worry. (My elder children would be here, except it is now cheaper for me to educate them in the UK, and the boarding experience is doing them a lot of good.)

Is the U.K. or even USA, today really a much better place to raise children ? I am not really sure that they are. Having lived away from the UK for so long it is hard to tell and I can only go by what I am advised. I certainly would not look forward to the climate in the UK !! but that would not be a major consideration.

Personally, I could not conceive of returning to live in the UK, and would not wish to bring my children up there. However I can foresee my children attending UK universities and at least starting their careers there.

I think the advice not to burn bridges is critical. I have a house in the UK and would never give that up, alternatively if I lived in Thailand I would rent, so that any exit would be relatively easy.

Renting is much the most cost effective in most parts of Thailand. Long leases are extrordinarily cheap. Property is also extremely difficult to sell at present.

At the end of the day the decision made MUST be one with the best interests of the children in mind. With my children being young, it probably would not harm them to spend two or three years in Thailand anyway, a more informed decision could then be made. Gary I think your biggest question would be "What impact will moving your daughters have on their education?" I honestly don't know, but I would have thought at 12 and 13 it might be quite detrimental.

Their education should not suffer if you get them into a good international school, following a similar syllabus to that at home. Local schools would not be such a good idea.

I should add how I fully concur with Khun Jean about the "Tropical Paradise " feeling soon being replaced with "Just another place to live " I know that feeling so well having lived in Bermuda for 24 years !

Honeymoons never last more than a few weeks/months.

There is a major difference between Bermuda and Thailand. Both places have definite "Plusses" in comparison with the other. I personally prefer Thailand!

We are very fortunate in one aspect, and that is the very fact that we have a choice, many people just have to put up with their lot, although having that choice obviously requires making a difficult decision at the end of the day.

Very true.