Random orbital sander

teletiger

I use a disk sander in my electric drill. Sanding disks are [or were] difficult to get in Chiang Mai, so I improvised and cut my own out of the high quality sandpaper sold by the metre in many places here. It's usually a reddish-brown colour.

You could do the same for a random orbital sander. Use an old disk as a pattern, mark and cut the back [paper] side. If it attaches with velcro, I'm sure you could get that locally. My sanding disk is held in place by an arbor screw and washer.

Choke Dee.

I was in Global Home Mart Pro House today (the one on the outer ring road, north of CM) and they had circular abrasive-looking things, of a dark colour, about a foot in diameter, with a hole in the middle. Not sure if that is them or not.

Global have orbital sanders I think, and perhaps the big planes and drills. They also have Velcro sanding pads. Failing that, Chiang Mai Tool has the 4" Velcro chuck attachments that go into a drill for 45 baht and Velcro sanding pads for 8 baht to fit--grit 40 to 120. They also have 8" jobbies.

Here is where I go for all my power tool and accessory needs. Very friendly staff, owner speaks good English. They have a good selection of tools at decant prices. Wood/Metal lathes, drill presses, bench grinders, you name it. If you don't see it there, show the owner a pic on your phone and if he doesn't have it there, he can most likely order it.

Here is the Google Maps info: 18.797246, 98.997194

Edited by Kiniyeow

Here is where I go for all my power tool and accessory needs. Very friendly staff, owner speaks good English. They have a good selection of tools at decant prices. Wood/Metal lathes, drill presses, bench grinders, you name it. If you don't see it there, show the owner a pic on your phone and if he doesn't have it there, he can most likely order it.

^ If they don't stock it, no-one does! 555 I've bought tools there and marvel at the range. They are part of a large buying group so prices often better than the BIG stores. Drill presses and other heavy equipment + lathes and materials/spares are stocked.

King Kong tools located near the corner before you get to Mad Dogs Pizza have an AEG display/promotion at the moment. Lots of drills both electrical and cordless, plus random orbit and belt sanders. Not a bad shop and Im sure I saw the velcro pads there too.

Another place virtually on the other side of the 'old town' is Nana Screw. Worth a look there too.

I was in Global Home Mart Pro House today (the one on the outer ring road, north of CM) and they had circular abrasive-looking things, of a dark colour, about a foot in diameter, with a hole in the middle. Not sure if that is them or not.

No, what you have seen are cutting discs for angle grinders,stihl saws and cutting saws.

Those are for cutting steel and masonry.

And not sure if you are being cynical but the stores are actually

Global House

Home Pro

Home Mart

Home Sukkapan

All same same but different

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

No, what you have seen are cutting discs for angle grinders,stihl saws and cutting saws.

Those are for cutting steel and masonry.

And not sure if you are being cynical but the stores are actually

Global House

Home Pro

Home Mart

Home Sukkapan

All same same but different

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

Thanks for that, I always thought there was one big one.

^ If they don't stock it, no-one does! 555 I've bought tools there and marvel at the range. They are part of a large buying group so prices often better than the BIG stores. Drill presses and other heavy equipment + lathes and materials/spares are stocked.

I concur with both Kiniyeow and kaptainrob, this shop (Web address www.arkarnsin.com) is amazing. I have been to most of the big outfits already mentioned but this place holds the biggest range I have seen in CM. They have a large range of grit sizes for the orbital sander discs, the velcro type.

I was there yesterday after reading this blog and spotted reciprocating saws and blades.... which someone on TV was looking for some time ago.

I would suggest that anyone whom is looking for any type of machinery, to visit this place first. They also have lawn mowers and bush cutters (I saw my first ride on mower in CM at this store. It took me about an hour to look at what the store had on offer....and as General MacArthur said 'I will return'

I concur with both Kiniyeow and kaptainrob, this shop (Web address www.arkarnsin.com) is amazing. I have been to most of the big outfits already mentioned but this place holds the biggest range I have seen in CM. They have a large range of grit sizes for the orbital sander discs, the velcro type.

I was there yesterday after reading this blog and spotted reciprocating saws and blades.... which someone on TV was looking for some time ago.

I would suggest that anyone whom is looking for any type of machinery, to visit this place first. They also have lawn mowers and bush cutters (I saw my first ride on mower in CM at this store. It took me about an hour to look at what the store had on offer....and as General MacArthur said 'I will return'

Didn't realize they had a website and thanks for that. It actually translates well with Google Translate....

http://translate.google.com/