Weakening voting rights will only provoke greater division: Thai opinion

webfact

Furthermore, that a populist political mandate was at all achievable, first by Thai Rak Thai and now by Pheu Thai, is indicative of the many historical injustices that existed before most Thais had even heard of Thaksin. No amount of evasive political argument can change this fact, despite continual attempts to divert attention away from the "elephant in the room" of Thailand's social inequality.

Sad but true, in a democracy peoples economic status should not matter. A compromise is in order, i don't think anyone denies that PTP won the election and have the right to govern, however, nobody should be comfortable, or have to tolerate a person running the country from exile.

Edited by ramrod711

I'm visiting Singapore at the moment and talked to a few academics there. Although some have a sense of a cycle repeating itself, there is near disbelief in some quarters about Khun Suthep's demands. One Malaysian professor said to me over dinner last night: 'I find it truly amazing that a man like that can order the elected Prime Minister to leave the country. How is it possible for him to do that?' Dr Titipol is pretty much in tune with what most outside academic observers think.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

yes again we hear about the uneducated in the rural part of thailand.....but PT had it in hand to really improve the educational system but their incompetency and populist stupidity ended up in spending into useless tablets .... there we go again if the PT would have a strong and integer PM elected they couild really turn to better use of their elected power....majority in a parliament is no free ticket to do what they are pleased without listening to the opposition...they have to serve all people.....

a clever swiss politician said once asked by a journalist....do you have a problem now...his party had just lost a vote....."it is easy to be a democrat if you are part of the majority, but the real democrat shows if he looses and accepts the verdict of the majority" compromises seem to be impossible in tahiland......if both sides would give in a bit to find solutions which are supported by people from both sides, then......this here would not happen. unfortunately i never heard from the actual governement something like "yes we mad mistakes, we will do better in the future" they never seem to learn the lesson

As I said earlier in another thread, this whole 'people's council' thing is only being used as a way to try and pressure the stubborn Shin regime to leave. It is the only way Suthep can try and lever them out of the political system using the constitution to back him up. Good on him I say, he found the one loop hole and he is trying his darndest to use it to out them. While the fugitive puppet master is involved, there can never be a fair election, remember 3 of his parties were dissolved when the members were given 5 year bans for electoral fraud - therein lies the problem. Once they are gone, if all Shin's and cronies are out of it, maybe then we can have a fair election.

As I said earlier in another thread, this whole 'people's council' thing is only being used as a way to try and pressure the stubborn Shin regime to leave. It is the only way Suthep can try and lever them out of the political system using the constitution to back him up. Good on him I say, he found the one loop hole and he is trying his darndest to use it to out them. While the fugitive puppet master is involved, there can never be a fair election, remember 3 of his parties were dissolved when the members were given 5 year bans for electoral fraud - therein lies the problem. Once they are gone, if all Shin's and cronies are out of it, maybe then we can have a fair election.

You really can not be that nieve, the Shin regime is no more than a cover for there true agenda and thats to put the other corrupt BKK elites and military back in full control, only this time they want to seal the deal for no futher losses at the polls by eleminating the elction system and passing laws that say only certain people can vote. This is the only way this party can take control once again by a coup, its the only way they have ever been able to regain power either by military force or misleading propaganda.

Excellent piece--

But I wonder why so many academics, while condemning the 'peoples' council' idea, are shy about discussing that this is in no way a new concept in history. In the interwar-period in Europe- utopian visions ran rampant- and unifying all of them was the idea that electoral democracy was rotten. What was needed was 'good people' whose soul reflected the hightest and most noble virtues of the nation, to lead the country out of the morass of modern politics.

To steal a famous quote that is quite appropriate ,They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it. whistling.gif

One way to handle it well it allow all net contributors to the budget to vote, i.e. all net taxpayers. No tax, no vote.

Well that would rule out all civil servants, the police and the armed forces so I suppose it is a start - not quite sure it was what you meant though.

"Millions of Thailand's rural population continue to subsist as an effective underclass, without the privilege of a secure economic status or the realistic possibility of accessing high-quality education. In their stereotypical perceptions of this majority, the Bangkok middle-class remain harsh and closed-minded, behaving towards them as if they were second-class citizens."

This is an interesting statement in that it is the truth. I find it difficult to understand the attitude of the middle-class in this, though. What is second class or uneducated about growing your own food, living with the environment and understanding it, clean of polution and all the rest of the chaos of a big city? It's a matter of perception I suppose. The perception of self because you have things, is a result of consumerism, that the middle-class, with all the advantage of education seem to miss. They too, seem to miss the point that you are who you are due to the incredible accident of birth, being born rich does not make you Einstein! If Einstein was born in a poor rural thai village would that make him stupid or less worthy?

One way to handle it well it allow all net contributors to the budget to vote, i.e. all net taxpayers. No tax, no vote.

Well that would rule out all civil servants, the police and the armed forces so I suppose it is a start - not quite sure it was what you meant though.

Everyone in Thailand pays tax whether they are working or not. Its called the VAT

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6043.0.html

ok, time to be more precise:

voting rights go to people whose direct taxes on revenue or on wealth are higher than direct social transfers, i.e. money or services they receive from the government.