Canadian visiting Thailand for 55 days visa help!

We are canadian citizens and will be traveling to thailand in February and will be there for 55 days. We have our roundtrip plane tickets.

We're trying to fill out our tourist visa applications but we have never done this before and need help

Here are a few of our question:

- Can we send a photocopy of our passport with the application? We don't want to send out actual passports incase they are lost of stolen

- How do we pay the $40 fee? I've heard that we either get a special cheque from out bank, or we can pay at the post office

- On the application form one of questions asks "Type of travel document" is this asking for what type of visa, or if we are sending out passport?

- Also on the application form, it asks "Counties for which passport is valid" as a canadian, our passports are valid for many countries and I can't list them all so what is this asking?

Please help!! We are worried about this as we leave in less than two months and want to get our visas soon so we won't be worried about not getting them before we leave.

Thank you!

1. You must send your actual passports.
  2. You should ask the consulate where you plan to apply for your visa what payment methods they accept. There is no universal rule for this valid for all Thai consulates.
  3. Type of travel document: passport
  4. Counties for which passport is valid: all

If using Vancouver consulate, the lady there is very good.

Their website has complete and easy to understand requirements. Basically, you send to them via express post, along with a paid for and addressed return express post envelope inside. Include your passports, a money order for the correct amount, two passport photos, and your itinerary.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I know how to figure it all out now. I would call but the embassy is closed on the weekends and I work during the day and am not able to make phone calls. I really want to get all of this over with so I will mail the applications tomorrow

" I really want to get all of this over with so I will mail the applications tomorrow"

Your visa will be good for 3 months from when it's issued..

As long as your travel date is during the first half of Feb you'll be okay. If later in the month you should wait a bit before sending the application in.

The turnaround at the consulate is usually just a couple of days.

In the US the Thai Embassys (LA & Portland) suggest sending application/passport via USPS ($19.95) Priority Mail Express (both ways) enclosing prepaid/addressed envelope for return - you then have a tracking # for arrival and return. This adds an extra $40 to costs but insures delivery. I imagine similiar in Canada - follow advice posted on Thai Embassy web site for mailing of documents. And be sure you are using official Embassy site - as posted above by Ubonjoe - there are some fakes out there.

Edited by IBoldnewguy

There are are 5 locations in Canada where you can apply for your visas perhaps one is close enough so you can apply in person. Info: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/obtaining-visa-canada

It really is very very simple and easy. As UbonJoe said, there are five locations you can drop in to for that basic tourist visa. You can even get a double entry one at the Honorary Consulate General in Edmonton, I do know. Only have to go through Vancouver for the O-A visa or a triple entry.

As for not being able to phone, remember that Canada has many different time zones, so you could call Ottawa or Toronto or Vancouver at completely different times - surely you're not "at work" and "unable to make a phone call" during your lunch period long enough to cover all those time zones!

I have had bad experience sending passport for visa using Canada Post. I'd recommend UPS or another carrier. Maybe a few bucks more, but also more reliable.

1.You MUST send passport.

2. You must buy 2 express post envelopes (1 to send application etc., + 1 for them to return your passport). Buy these at any canada post outlet -e.g. in shoppers drug mart. Consulate will not accept fedex, purolator etc for return. -use express post.

3. you must include a MONEY ORDER- get that from your bank.

4. you need passport size-type photos- you can get them done at walmart.

5. you need your application -get it online.

6. passports must be good for at least 6 months.

7. toronto office is very good to deal with.

8. Wait til after xmas to send since the mail service is crazy this time of year. The turn-around time is very good.

9. With express post- check off signature box for the return envelope -this means that the envelope with your passports will not be left in your mailbox.

note- all of this is not cheap- express post will set you back about 30$ + about 20$ for photos + application fee.

follow all instructions carefully on consulate website

bon voyage!

" I really want to get all of this over with so I will mail the applications tomorrow"

Your visa will be good for 3 months from when it's issued..

As long as your travel date is during the first half of Feb you'll be okay. If later in the month you should wait a bit before sending the application in.

The turnaround at the consulate is usually just a couple of days.

A single-entry tourist visa is valid for travel to Thailand for three months or, from some consulates, for 90 days from its date of issue. Therefore, a visa issued on 15 DEC 2013, for example, will be valid for travel until 14 MAR 2014 or 15 MAR 2014.

As Canada is a G8 country you would get 30 days visa exempt entry by crossing a land border into Malaysia/Burma/Laos/Cambodia and returning to Thailand half an hour later.

That way you could cover your 55 day visit with no need for a visa at all.

If you will be in, say Chiang Rai, about 30 days after your arrival by air into Thailand a quick visit to the market in Tachilek ( Burma) would be an interesting day out. It would cost you $10 US each but you could save that on the duty free that you can bring back into Thailand.

• Like 1

As Canada is a G8 country you would get 30 days visa exempt entry by crossing a land border into Malaysia/Burma/Laos/Cambodia and returning to Thailand half an hour later.

If you will be in, say Chiang Rai, about 30 days after your arrival by air into Thailand a quick visit to the market in Tachilek ( Burma) would be an interesting day out. It would cost you $10 US each but you could save that on the duty free that you can bring back into Thailand.

The problem with your suggestion is the need for a return or or onward ticket out of the country within 30 days if you don't have a visa. The airlines can and do deny boarding a flight for this. Getting a tourist visa is always the best option planning a stay longer than 30 days.

2. You must buy 2 express post envelopes (1 to send application etc., + 1 for them to return your passport). Buy these at any canada post outlet -e.g. in shoppers drug mart. Consulate will not accept fedex, purolator etc for return. -use express post.

I would avoid using Canada Post completely. I used UPS with a prepaid UPS return envelope included, with all necessary documents, sent to the Royal Thai Consulate General in Vancouver.

No problem - perfectly happy using the UPS courier. You do not need to use the Canadian Postal "Service."

[Edit - typo]

Edited by JusMe

I would avoid using Canada Post completely. I used UPS with a prepaid UPS return envelope included, with all necessary documents, sent to the Royal Thai Consulate General in Vancouver.

No problem - perfectly happy using the UPS courier. You do not need to use the Canadian Postal "Service."

[Edit - typo]

You are correct - you can use UPS at **some consulates -see e.g., Royal Thai Consulate-Toronto. Note that:"For all courier returns, a valid Federal express or UPS account number is required" .

However, if you apply through the embassy in Ottawa', you will need to use Express Post.

See notice on their site http://www.thaiembas...neral-visa-info: "*Remarks : A PREPAID EXPRESS POST ENVELOPE MUST BE INCLUDED FOR THE RETURN OF THE PASSPORT WHEN APPLYING FOR TOURIST, TRANSIT AND NON-IMMIGRANT VISA."

And here: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/general-visa-info/visa-processing "Applying by mail: If the applicant would like to have their passport mailed back. Please include a self addressed prepaid express post regional envelope for Ontario or Quebec provinces, or from other provinces within Canada (prepaid express post national envelope)."

The lesson to be learned here is that each consulate/embassy may have slightly different requirements so it is best to carefully check the requirements of the office where you are applying. You can call or email them with your questions.

Edited by bkksiam

[Edit - typo]

You are correct - you can use UPS at **some consulates -see e.g., Royal Thai Consulate-Toronto. Note that:"For all courier returns, a valid Federal express or UPS account number is required" .

However, if you apply through the embassy in Ottawa', you will need to use Express Post.

See notice on their site http://www.thaiembas...neral-visa-info: "*Remarks : A PREPAID EXPRESS POST ENVELOPE MUST BE INCLUDED FOR THE RETURN OF THE PASSPORT WHEN APPLYING FOR TOURIST, TRANSIT AND NON-IMMIGRANT VISA."

You do have a good point there about varying acceptances by different consulates. I used the standard UPS service and enclosed a standard UPS return envelope. It was prepaid, but I do not have a UPS account at all - just went down to the agency on the corner near where my apartment is in Edmonton.

The notice on the embassy website could be a rather generic one, meaning prepaid express return etc. but not necessarily only Canada Post. They could accept some other couriers as long as it's prepaid.

One might be encouraged to check with the individual embassy office or consulate about that. Good point, though, to remind us that consulate and embassy procedures do vary between the offices.

The problem with your suggestion is the need for a return or or onward ticket out of the country within 30 days if you don't have a visa. The airlines can and do deny boarding a flight for this. Getting a tourist visa is always the best option planning a stay longer than 30 days.

Well, in thirty years + I have never been asked for an onward ticket on travelling to Thailand from Australia, Canada or several other countries and I wonder who has a ticket these days where bookings are all on line.

Another point: I have had dozens of yacht crew fly into Thailand over the years who have then sailed with me to Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, none of them has ever had an onward ticket out of Thailand. So I really wonder if such a requirement exists in practice.

It certainly does exist. If you do not have a valid visa you must have a ticket out of the country within 30 days or the airline can deny boarding of your flight.

Enter info here and you will get info on IATA database that all airlines have access to. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

Sirius 1935 - Well, in thirty years + I have never been asked for an onward ticket on travelling to Thailand from Australia, Canada or several other countries and I wonder who has a ticket these days where bookings are all on line.

What you didn't say: Are you claiming you traveled on one way tickets for 30+ years? Are you aware that it is not necessary to ask the obvious? For instance at check in your entire itinerary pops up and can be seen by the receptionist... hence, no problems... no questions. From the US, personal experience, roundtrip ticket or appropriate visa is required and checked.

Another point: I have had dozens of yacht crew fly into Thailand over the years who have then sailed with me to Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, none of them has ever had an onward ticket out of Thailand. So I really wonder if such a requirement exists in practice.

What you didn't say: Are you claiming you arranged these dozens of tickets and know for a fact they were one way? I don't think anyone would claim exceptions don't occur but the purpose of using these forums is for travelers/members, regardless of experience, to be able to get up to date advice according to the various countries regulations.

Readers: I recommend Ubonjoe; he manages to deliver not just accurate advice/updates but timely as well... coffee1.gif

Have a weekend out on the middle. If you are coming to Asia for the first time you might want to see Singapore or Ankorwat in Cambodia which are both short flights. I've never had a flight ticket checked but if it's a concern get a 30 day flexible ticket and move the return date back when you work out your trip.Note that I only got 15 day visas when I traveled out by land. You get another 30 days if you do the trip out by plane.

• Like 1

It certainly does exist. If you do not have a valid visa you must have a ticket out of the country within 30 days or the airline can deny boarding of your flight.

Enter info here and you will get info on IATA database that all airlines have access to. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

To the O.P.:

Maybe the can (deny boarding) but in my experience they won't. If they do ask for an onward ticket to another country I would advise you to answer that you will be leaving Thailand by a land crossing or by boat, which happens in the case of all my crew sailing from Phuket to Langkawi every year. I am in Canada now so you can call me if you need any advice. Just send me a PM and I'll give you my number in Alberta.