Anti-govt protesters refuse to attend Thai govt forum on political reform

webfact

Protesters refuse to attend govt forum on political reform
By Digital Content

13869896072661.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 14 – Anti-government protesters will not send representatives to participate in the state-initiated forum on political reform, according to protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban.

His statement, made at the Democracy Monument rally last night, was a reversal to an earlier announcement by the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) that it would be represented by three members in the forum, scheduled to be held at Queen Sirikit Convention Centre on Sunday.

Mr Suthep said he was told not to send PDRC members to the event, or else it would be seen as an endorsement of the government’s move.

“We know that conclusion in the forum is predictable. That is, holding a general election to be followed by political reform,” he said.

The PDRC has repeatedly insisted that a general election will not be held unless the country’s political reform materialises first.

The PDRC will organise its own forum at Thammasat University today where people from all quarters, particularly academics, were invited.

Regarding his meeting with the top military brass on Saturday, Mr Suthep said he would explain the PDRC’s objectives for Thailand’s future and answer all questions posed by leaders of the three armed forces.

“The decision is theirs. We are not putting any pressure on them,” he said.

He said he told protesters not to accompany him after a report that police would arrest him when he showed up. Some PDRC executives will join him for the dialogue.

National police chief Adul Saengsingkaew declined to join tomorrow’s meeting, reasoning that Mr Suthep is a suspect with an outstanding arrest warrant on insurrection charges.

“The military arranged the meeting. I want to know how it will react if I’m arrested by police. If that is the case, the (political) game will be over sooner,” he said.

He said he would have no objection to whoever would be invited by the armed forces to the discussion, adding that he would leave immediately after the talks. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-14

His reasoning for not attending is astute. That the outcome of the forum is predetermined and his agreement to attend implies submission. It is quite preposterous that the police chief said that he wouldn't attend since Suthep has an outstanding warrant. One might wonder if he police chief refuses to have a Red Bull for the same reason?

• Like 2

They didn't invite any farang to attend the forum. Farang bring in the largest amount of money to Thailand. More than rice exports, more than any ten Thai corporations combined. Yet, we can't even get electric service in our names, let alone a little piece of property. A few years ago, a farang couldn't even get a telephone number without a Thai sponsor. That's changed a little bit for the better. Apartheid was abandoned in South Africa, but lives on in Thailand.

I own my condo in my name and also have my electric in my own name ,Seems you are misinformed ,They didnt invite any westerners etc due to the fact its called Thailand not farangland.Seems your as bitter as Mr Suthep himself .

My electric check bill monthly comes not in my name but the condo room number, all through the condo admin. I have an amount in credit at the condo so when the bill comes in it is deducted from that. I do not have an electric bill sent directly to me in person.

The c. PM is not attending ???? ha ha.

I don't think Suthep is interested in solving the problems, having an election or obeying the King's ruling. It seems all he wants is to do is cause sheite.

1) I want an election "ok we will have an election" Ok I don't want an election.

2) Oh I'm being indicted for Murder? Oh just wait while I start another rally and add a few more to my bill

3) We need to resolve Thailand's political unrest. "Ok lets have a Governemt reform meeting and we will discus this issue" No I won't attend !

I think if they just arrest him and make him dissapear things would go alot smoother for Thailand right now.

Oh a lot smoother you say--Like the last two and a half years ????? get real, be honest not just knocking the guy (whatever his methods) focus on the governments achievements. the biggest one is to place Thailand into one of the most corrupt governments---see last weeks international finding. SMOOTH you say ???

• Like 1

I don't think Suthep is interested in solving the problems, having an election or obeying the King's ruling. It seems all he wants is to do is cause sheite.

1) I want an election "ok we will have an election" Ok I don't want an election.

2) Oh I'm being indicted for Murder? Oh just wait while I start another rally and add a few more to my bill

3) We need to resolve Thailand's political unrest. "Ok lets have a Governemt reform meeting and we will discus this issue" No I won't attend !

I think if they just arrest him and make him dissapear things would go alot smoother for Thailand right now.

For now maybe, but hopefully the anti-govt protesters think a bit further than now!

Sad to see such stonewalling on both sides. Civilizations thrive on compromise. The longer the pressure cooker is on the stove, the more likely it will burst.

Maybe both sides want that? For me, this seems to be the trillion baht question.

sad.png

"Mr Suthep said he was told not to send PDRC members to the event, or else it would be seen as an endorsement of the government’s move."

As posted earlier, looks like he nearly let the embarrassed cat out of the bag. Not advised -told! Who's the puppet now?

• Like 2

I am not sure anyone feels they have a lock on anything at present. The PM and cabinet are not in public blowing smoke as usual. There are 300 + MP's treaking lightly, The rebel rousing red shirts are still in wonder as to getting bruised badly. The sand rat is quiet and even the FM has gone back to spouting nonsense numbers of support, instead of getting arrest warrents issued for countless numbers of lwabiding citizens.

i just attribute it to normal 'piss poor planning' on everyones part. It would appear things progressed or regressed (depending on which group you favor) futher than expected. Maybe its true there is no one involved who is capable nor deserves to lead Thailand in reform to a better government/way of life.

Oh a lot smoother you say--Like the last two and a half years ????? get real, be honest not just knocking the guy (whatever his methods) focus on the governments achievements. the biggest one is to place Thailand into one of the most corrupt governments---see last weeks international finding. SMOOTH you say ???

SMOOTHER I say.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "Government achievements" or "Placing Thailand into one of the most corrupt Governments" (Whatever that means).

This is about some Nutter who has Murder indictments pending who is asking for some time to run a Mob squad before they indict him and at the same time has not listened to what the King of Thailand has ruled.

What does the last 2 1/2 years have to do with some freak trying to run the country from a stage right NOW?

If he had put his efforts into an anti-government rally in a peaceful way and kept his cool, did not go against the King's ruling and gave his head a shake, he might have got something done but now he is just showing the people his true face and you think the people want him in politics?

You cannot dictate to a Government to step down and when they say "ok" you say "oops, what I meant was to have a new election, and then when they say "ok", you say "oops, I didn't mean have a new election, I meant.....blah blah blah

They guys doesn't know which way is up and which way is down but I know where he is going......and it's not UP.

We all know that screeming and yelling in Thailand gets you nowhere and that goes all the way from being in a convienient store to being a Politician.

If he had gone about it a different way, he might have had the people behind him but now.........

Having noticed the love, respect and reverence that the people of Thailand from all walks of life, have for HRH, i am gobsmacked that this man Suthep sees fit and is able, unhindered, to deny and tear down anything that HRH has approved with his blessing. Just because Suthep thinks he knows better or is from an higher order.

Surely in the eyes of all Thais, this man Suthep has gone just a step too far by calling into question something which HRH has approved.

Edited by oldsailor35

They didn't invite any farang to attend the forum. Farang bring in the largest amount of money to Thailand. More than rice exports, more than any ten Thai corporations combined. Yet, we can't even get electric service in our names, let alone a little piece of property. A few years ago, a farang couldn't even get a telephone number without a Thai sponsor. That's changed a little bit for the better. Apartheid was abandoned in South Africa, but lives on in Thailand.

Are you a Thai citizen, do you pay tax here, if not sssshhh. If you do you are a small minority in Thailand that are represented like all other citizens by your elected MP. Please do some research on companies like CP before you write post like this, it make foreigners look stupid.

It is clearly obvious that Suthep is trying his best to pit the RTA against the RTP just for his own benefit.

I just hope and pray that they are one step ahead of him and that the RTA tell the RTP to get on and arrest the trouble maker Suthep.

• Like 1

Suthep has for some time said that he does not want an elected government because the people would re-elect the same. He wants a non-elected council sponsored by the armed forces to "reform" Thai politics first - err isn't that what happened when Thaksin was ousted in the first place - in what delusional world does he believe it would work any better this time? He simply doesn't like the fact that in a free national vote - people he disapproves of would get elected. It is completely naive to suggest that millions of voters can be bribed with a few hundred Baht - if that were the case then his "masters" probably have as much cash to splurge as the Thaksin set and would use that route themselves. Of course people will accept bribes but who is to say that this influences the secret tick they place in the box. Lots of people here in the UK accept transport to the polls from one party but actually vote for another.

The fact is that the majority of people in Thailand are poor and will vote for whichever party they feel gives the poor majority the best deal. Middle class, educated, Bangkok is not the country and is not entitled to a say in who the majority want in power. They don't care that Thaksin was corrupt because they know that corruption is endemic throughout the system, they know whoever has power will be equally corrupt so why should that be important. Support for rural Thailand and better distribution of wealth is what people would vote for and that is something the majority of the elite do not want.

As for farangs voting well of course long term residents should be able to claim nationality just as Thais who come to the UK can my partner has lived here 6 years, became a citizen and can vote in both national and local elections as she should be able to in the country he has made his home

• Like 2

But Transparency International didn't give any proof.

Forget about T.I. they are another Rubbish organisation that advertises on their website to donate and contribute money. Same Same !

Hopefully Suthep disappears soon. This monkey should have been gone long time ago.

What's really wrong with the last 2 1/2 years. Government subsidies rice? In Europe they even subsides sugar, potatoes, pigs, corn, cows etc. In the US they do also subsidize to protect the local industry. So what? Let them subsidise and who cares really. If you don't like governments subsidise farm goods, let me know from which country you are and I will give you a list what your government subsidised.

It's not our money any way. It's about Thai people but from what I hear around if the Democrat Party goes to the pull, they will be beaten badly.

Down with Suthep's and his clowns who have even already a PM in waiting but don't want to announce anything. His People Power is rubbish and he wants to fill his pockets.

Let him go back to his 2000 Rai's of farmland in the South but before arrest this clown and ship him to Dubai as he still refuses to answer to his charges. In no time this monkey will be outside Thailand or back to his supporter base in Surat Thani. In 95 he came up with that idea of having a million march to Bangkok by his paid thugs from Surat Thani.

Having noticed the love, respect and reverence that the people of Thailand from all walks of life, have for HRH, i am gobsmacked that this man Suthep sees fit and is able, unhindered, to deny and tear down anything that HRH has approved with his blessing. Just because Suthep thinks he knows better or is from an higher order.

Surely in the eyes of all Thais, this man Suthep has gone just a step too far by calling into question something which HRH has approved.

Well said he has gone by too far and his time surely is limited of the strings he is currently pulling.

It is clearly obvious that Suthep is trying his best to pit the RTA against the RTP just for his own benefit.

I just hope and pray that they are one step ahead of him and that the RTA tell the RTP to get on and arrest the trouble maker Suthep.

Not this time. The RTA knows this guy is nuts and they will not back him up.

Last time the RTA shot a lot of demonstrators and Suthep said he has no guilt and so did Abhisit. Suthep has not even heard his charges but I applaud Abhisit that he actually went to the courts and got bail. Many people's in Isaan think Abhisit is just the deputy of Suthep. Suthep should be charged and send to the firing lines or live sentence without parole. Their are a lot of people's who want this little Kamnan gone from the National Politics.

Farang money is small money compared to what the Chinese Elite in Bangkok generate. Most of those elite companies have been left out of the pie during the Thaksin years and that's why the turn to a monkey like Suthep.

Suthep is not a royalist, he is a traitor to the Kingdom of Thailand.

If you're groveling with guppies, you're going to get a bit muddy.

I own my condo in my name and also have my electric in my own name ,Seems you are misinformed ,They didnt invite any westerners etc due to the fact its called Thailand not farangland.Seems your as bitter as Mr Suthep himself .

Are you a Thai citizen, do you pay tax here, if not sssshhh. If you do you are a small minority in Thailand that are represented like all other citizens by your elected MP. Please do some research on companies like CP before you write post like this, it make foreigners look stupid.

I am not a Thai citizen, but I do pay taxes ....and kickbacks for getting things done Thai style. There are hundreds of thousands of farang residing in Thailand, and each bring in an average of 1 to 2 million baht per year. In addition, there are a bunch of 'under the table' expenditures, most notably 'sin sod' (dowry) which can range up to Bt.10 million (I've actually heard higher amounts, particularly when houses and cars are tallied - for the extended family.) How often is Sin Sod declared as an expense with taxes? Answer: NEVER. So, if you take in to account the gargantuan amount of 'undeclared' money that's brought in to Thailand (usually via ATM) and spent here, the cummulative amount is much more than rice exports or Thai corporations bring in from outside.

As for having an electric bill in a farang name: rare indeed. And yes, we know that condos can be in farang name, but with limitations, most importantly; the farang cannot own the land it's built upon.

• Like 1

But Transparency International didn't give any proof.

Forget about T.I. they are another Rubbish organisation that advertises on their website to donate and contribute money. Same Same !

Hopefully Suthep disappears soon. This monkey should have been gone long time ago.

What's really wrong with the last 2 1/2 years. Government subsidies rice? In Europe they even subsides sugar, potatoes, pigs, corn, cows etc. In the US they do also subsidize to protect the local industry. So what? Let them subsidise and who cares really. If you don't like governments subsidise farm goods, let me know from which country you are and I will give you a list what your government subsidised.

It's not our money any way. It's about Thai people but from what I hear around if the Democrat Party goes to the pull, they will be beaten badly.

Down with Suthep's and his clowns who have even already a PM in waiting but don't want to announce anything. His People Power is rubbish and he wants to fill his pockets.

Let him go back to his 2000 Rai's of farmland in the South but before arrest this clown and ship him to Dubai as he still refuses to answer to his charges. In no time this monkey will be outside Thailand or back to his supporter base in Surat Thani. In 95 he came up with that idea of having a million march to Bangkok by his paid thugs from Surat Thani.

Don't let Suthep fill his pockets--you let your lot do it they are used to it--runs in the family. For all you think of him he isn't running away like your savior, I say come on the reds, they are so gentile, polite and non violent.----------------I also am a fan of Disney world, and your memory is jaded.