A wish for Thailand

Somsrisonphimai

Although, falang is not a bad or insult word, after reading comments and posts on this forum, I try not to use the word falang anymore since I know that some people here do not like to be called falang.

Ok, very thoughtful, so as an alternative what term should the Thai people use, you see I find it nonsensical that some dislike the word Farang but would not be able to suggest a viable alternative, as such they are in a vicious circle, so perhaps you could help them out? Before they get too dizzy!

So please complete the line below

Excuse me I would prefer not to be called farang. You may call me......

Well, I would ask for your name and will call you by name. If your name is Jake and you are from USA, I will call you Jake and introduce you as Jake and as American. If Thai people know your name, they would call you by name and the word Falang will get used less. Sometimes they refer you as "Kuon Koaw" if you are white. If you are Black, they say "Kuon Doum."

People complain about many things on TV about Thailand but the one thing that really annoys me is the litter.

Plastic, glass etc everywhere and nobody seems to care. Ive traveled alot in Thailand and its an epidemic. Even when your not in a city its a big problem. .

• Like 1

People complain about many things on TV about Thailand but the one thing that really annoys me is the litter.

Plastic, glass etc everywhere and nobody seems to care. Ive traveled alot in Thailand and its an epidemic. Even when your not in a city its a big problem. .

Yes, I agree with you about the plastic and I don't know what is the solution. If someone has an idea to solve this problem, please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Dislike about Thailand?....Well I guess we could ask the same of any country in the world and the answers would be very similar!

Paternalistic Government, Traffic congestion, corruption, taxes, noisy neighbors, barking dogs, etc....same same for all countries...

As for Thailand ...yeah it has its inconveniences but at the end of the day....I love it here!

As for Santa and Thailand....Buddhist country so they don't celebrate Christmas ....BUT they love presents

I second that one. I tend to complain wherever I go in the world. While living in Sweden I tend to complain the most, I guess because I spent most of my youth there in a small boring town. Which had the tendency to bring out the worst of everyone.

While living in Norway I often complain about everything there and compare it with Sweden and that's about one of the few times I see the good sides of my birthplace.

In Thailand everything is not perfect as well, and I have walked away pissed more than once in different situations, all from overpriced western prices to ignoring officials in times of problems. That being said I have also walked a way with a big smile many times when I played the game right and asked them nicely in Thai if I could bypass the "Western price" since I live there, and many times have been granted without a problem. Say what you want, but in some cases it makes complete sense that non tax-payers should pay more (Now that's not always the fact, and many times it's a question of how "European" you look, or "Western" if you Aussies and Americans prefer).

But then I had times living in Cambodia for extended periods of time. My longest was in 2007 for 6 months. And God did I complain and compare with Thailand. I guess it's simply my grumpy, childish, immature nature when things doesn't go my way... But in the end I wouldn't want to live anywhere else than in LOS. It sure has it's down sides. But it sure has it's good sides as well. And no, I'm not talking about the bar scene, girls, booze or weed...

One thing I always try to keep in my head as a guideline is how long-term patient the Thais are. people often complain on sellers being rude, taxis being rude and the "Land of Smiles" is long dead blablabla. Well guess what, it's no f**king wonder! Imagine loads and loads of Thais, Chinese, Koreans, Cambodians and Laotians come to your country every year. Walking around like they own the place, always speaking about how bad this and that is. Treating your women like toys. I promise many of you Would get offended... And I'm surprised there is not more violence going on between Thais and Westerners.

A good closer example to Sweden is Poland. Italians, Englishmen, Norwegians, Swedes and u name it come to Krakow every year. Walk the streets like kings with their wallets. Whistle to girls who obviously already walk with another guy. The guy, naturally, gets enough and beats the shit out of the tourist. The tourist returns and tells everyone what savages those Polish people are... This I got told from my Polish work mate from Zabrze. And I can clearly picture it after my own travels around Europe.

The Thais might not have much patience in shorter actions which they are very aware of, often referring to themselves as "Leuat rorn" (hot blooded). But I would like to say the same goes for many European nations. And in the end I'm certain it's more individual than genetic...

One thing though, I have never really figured out, is why Thailand got way more transgender guys than next to any other country on this planet? That's a mystery I would really like to hear some good facts for. :P

Well said! And, I have no idea why there are so many lady boys in Thailand, nor do I care to know.

Dislike about Thailand?....Well I guess we could ask the same of any country in the world and the answers would be very similar!

Paternalistic Government, Traffic congestion, corruption, taxes, noisy neighbors, barking dogs, etc....same same for all countries...

As for Thailand ...yeah it has its inconveniences but at the end of the day....I love it here!

As for Santa and Thailand....Buddhist country so they don't celebrate Christmas ....BUT they love presents

I second that one. I tend to complain wherever I go in the world. While living in Sweden I tend to complain the most, I guess because I spent most of my youth there in a small boring town. Which had the tendency to bring out the worst of everyone.

While living in Norway I often complain about everything there and compare it with Sweden and that's about one of the few times I see the good sides of my birthplace.

In Thailand everything is not perfect as well, and I have walked away pissed more than once in different situations, all from overpriced western prices to ignoring officials in times of problems. That being said I have also walked a way with a big smile many times when I played the game right and asked them nicely in Thai if I could bypass the "Western price" since I live there, and many times have been granted without a problem. Say what you want, but in some cases it makes complete sense that non tax-payers should pay more (Now that's not always the fact, and many times it's a question of how "European" you look, or "Western" if you Aussies and Americans prefer).

But then I had times living in Cambodia for extended periods of time. My longest was in 2007 for 6 months. And God did I complain and compare with Thailand. I guess it's simply my grumpy, childish, immature nature when things doesn't go my way... But in the end I wouldn't want to live anywhere else than in LOS. It sure has it's down sides. But it sure has it's good sides as well. And no, I'm not talking about the bar scene, girls, booze or weed...

One thing I always try to keep in my head as a guideline is how long-term patient the Thais are. people often complain on sellers being rude, taxis being rude and the "Land of Smiles" is long dead blablabla. Well guess what, it's no f**king wonder! Imagine loads and loads of Thais, Chinese, Koreans, Cambodians and Laotians come to your country every year. Walking around like they own the place, always speaking about how bad this and that is. Treating your women like toys. I promise many of you Would get offended... And I'm surprised there is not more violence going on between Thais and Westerners.

A good closer example to Sweden is Poland. Italians, Englishmen, Norwegians, Swedes and u name it come to Krakow every year. Walk the streets like kings with their wallets. Whistle to girls who obviously already walk with another guy. The guy, naturally, gets enough and beats the shit out of the tourist. The tourist returns and tells everyone what savages those Polish people are... This I got told from my Polish work mate from Zabrze. And I can clearly picture it after my own travels around Europe.

The Thais might not have much patience in shorter actions which they are very aware of, often referring to themselves as "Leuat rorn" (hot blooded). But I would like to say the same goes for many European nations. And in the end I'm certain it's more individual than genetic...

One thing though, I have never really figured out, is why Thailand got way more transgender guys than next to any other country on this planet? That's a mystery I would really like to hear some good facts for. tongue.png

Well said! And, I have no idea why there are so many lady boys in Thailand, nor do I care to know.

555 (I really don't care as well, I have friends and family who are ladyboys. Just as I have family who are Tomboys. Couldn't bother me less. More a way to show I have nothing to complain on really. I say like the song by Mocca Garden: ผมรักเมืองไทยและมาอยู่เมืองไทยหลายปีลายปี)

Another thing I find interesting when comparing Thailand with the rest of SEA is the music Scene. All from the roots of Peua Chiwit like Maleehuanna, Carabao, Hammer and Pongsit, Dtut Nakon, to Folk like Jaran Manopech. And the huge Reggae scene going on in the south with bands like Job2do, Somrom Band, Dtai Sawan, Yakaya, Srirajah Rockers etc.

Even the main stream Indie bands like Scrubb, Paradox, Bodyslam, labanon etc. Are still very unique to SEA. And I have yet to find anything similar in neighbouring countries. The closest might be Cambodia's revival of their old school Hippie Scene that the Khmer Rouge killed out. But so far those bands consists of 1 immigrated Khmer and the rest foreigners (Like Dengue Fever, Cambodian Space Project etc). In Laos I have found some Lao Peua Chiwit. But Lao is still Tai (Not Thai Thai. But Tai like: Tai Leu, Tai Dam, Tai Yai, Tai yeuan, Tai Khao or Tay in Vietnam). They all share a distant past and heritage.

But in Vietnam, Malay, Indonesia or Philippines I have yet not found anything comparable to the diversity of the music scene in Thailand. Not even in the huge country of China. Which I find very cool. Way to go LOS!

One thing though, I have never really figured out, is why Thailand got way more transgender guys than next to any other country on this planet? That's a mystery I would really like to hear some good facts for. tongue.png

555 (I really don't care as well, I have friends and family who are ladyboys. Just as I have family who are Tomboys. Couldn't bother me less. More a way to show I have nothing to complain on really. I say like the song by Mocca Garden: ผมรักเมืองไทยและมาอยู่เมืองไทยหลายปีลายปี)

Another thing I find interesting when comparing Thailand with the rest of SEA is the music Scene. All from the roots of Peua Chiwit like Maleehuanna, Carabao, Hammer and Pongsit, Dtut Nakon, to Folk like Jaran Manopech. And the huge Reggae scene going on in the south with bands like Job2do, Somrom Band, Dtai Sawan, Yakaya, Srirajah Rockers etc.

Even the main stream Indie bands like Scrubb, Paradox, Bodyslam, labanon etc. Are still very unique to SEA. And I have yet to find anything similar in neighbouring countries. The closest might be Cambodia's revival of their old school Hippie Scene that the Khmer Rouge killed out. But so far those bands consists of 1 immigrated Khmer and the rest foreigners (Like Dengue Fever, Cambodian Space Project etc). In Laos I have found some Lao Peua Chiwit. But Lao is still Tai (Not Thai Thai. But Tai like: Tai Leu, Tai Dam, Tai Yai, Tai yeuan, Tai Khao or Tay in Vietnam). They all share a distant past and heritage.

But in Vietnam, Malay, Indonesia or Philippines I have yet not found anything comparable to the diversity of the music scene in Thailand. Not even in the huge country of China. Which I find very cool. Way to go LOS!

That is scary that you know more about Thailand than me 555, I love it though. I found myself envy you as well to have the opportunity to travel around the world. Have you been North Korean? Call me crazy but that is one of the countries I would like to visit, 555. They still live in the 1970, so it will be interesting to see how they live their life. Imagine how much money they can bring to their country if they open it up the world.

• Like 1

That is scary that you know more about Thailand than me 555, I love it though. I found myself envy you as well to have the opportunity to travel around the world. Have you been North Korean? Call me crazy but that is one of the countries I would like to visit, 555. They still live in the 1970, so it will be interesting to see how they live their life. Imagine how much money they can bring to their country if they open it up the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand.

Haha, well, 'm used to people calling me crazy for knowing too much about the Nation tongue.png To put it simple, I know WAY more about Thailands history, heritage and music scene, underground than I do about Sweden at home. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" some clever person once said smile.png

555 I'm aware that we have gone completely off topic, and it's just a matter of time before the grumpy guys comes and enforce the laws of internet talk with a yellow card. But DPRK is sure on my list to go countries. Not that I'm a huge fan of communism, but as you said, there are not many places left like that.

And also I'm glad to see someone who want to know more about the northern part of the country! Only meet people who are crazy about South Korea in LOS tongue.png The endless Korean fever. It seems most of my friends went there already. And then when I see their pictures they all seem to only visit those Lakorn places, the wall with a lot of locks (Just like in the movie กวนมึนโฮ) and of course making Kimchi. Doesn't look all that interesting with me. And yea, Jeju island is beautiful. But for people who are used to Thai nature, or even our Scandinavian Nature, it will not be very spectacular.

Anyway, here's are some of my favorite travel shows from the country I think you might like:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LovkrOC2lpk

This is an episode of the Canadian show Departures. I like it cause it's simply 2 guys (well, actually 3 with the camera guy Andre) traveling the world without trying to make it a political agenda or anything. Just simple joyful traveling when it's at it's best.

DPRK the land of Whispers, is also a nice documentary showing the country more or less for what it is. The bad sides of course as well as the good.

Vice made a documentary as well, but I'm no fan of it, specially since they claim they had to sneak into the country with their cameras and blablabla. Next to anyone can travel there now, and although you will have "guides" following your every step, it's not like you have to hide your camera to get it in... Also the rumors that every room you sleep in are bugged I think is pure BS, and even if they where I think the officials wouldn't be very interested what we had to say as travelers. Being a journalist the story may of course be different. But still I feel Vice exaggerates in that one. And I usually like the Vice videos.

Edited by banglassie

Yes, I agree with you about the plastic and I don't know what is the solution. If someone has an idea to solve this problem, please share.

Hmm, one first step might be for 7 Eleven, who after all is a foreign company, to front with a good example and stop handing out 50 bags of plastic for every single item you buy in the store. Secondly other vendors should do the same. But nobody is worse than Seven when it comes to this... I actually met a seller at JJ Market once who refused to give us a bag, when my friend asked him why he simply said he was a fighter for the worlds nature, and suggested us buy a bag or use his paper bags (he didn't say it with a bad attitude if it comes out like that from me). And of course the guy was a southern hippie guy, The true spirit of พรรคเขียว - จรรโลงโลก! tongue.png 555

Edited by banglassie
  • Like 1

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand.

Haha, well, 'm used to people calling me crazy for knowing too much about the Nation tongue.png To put it simple, I know WAY more about Thailands history, heritage and music scene, underground than I do about Sweden at home. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" some clever person once said smile.png

555 I'm aware that we have gone completely off topic, and it's just a matter of time before the grumpy guys comes and enforce the laws of internet talk with a yellow card. But DPRK is sure on my list to go countries. Not that I'm a huge fan of communism, but as you said, there are not many places left like that.

And also I'm glad to see someone who want to know more about the northern part of the country! Only meet people who are crazy about South Korea in LOS tongue.png The endless Korean fever. It seems most of my friends went there already. And then when I see their pictures they all seem to only visit those Lakorn places, the wall with a lot of locks (Just like in the movie กวนมึนโฮ) and of course making Kimchi. Doesn't look all that interesting with me. And yea, Jeju island is beautiful. But for people who are used to Thai nature, or even our Scandinavian Nature, it will not be very spectacular.

Anyway, here's are some of my favorite travel shows from the country I think you might like:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LovkrOC2lpk

This is an episode of the Canadian show Departures. I like it cause it's simply 2 guys (well, actually 3 with the camera guy Andre) traveling the world without trying to make it a political agenda or anything. Just simple joyful traveling when it's at it's best.

DPRK the land of Whispers, is also a nice documentary showing the country more or less for what it is. The bad sides of course as well as the good.

Vice made a documentary as well, but I'm no fan of it, specially since they claim they had to sneak into the country with their cameras and blablabla. Next to anyone can travel there now, and although you will have "guides" following your every step, it's not like you have to hide your camera to get it in... Also the rumors that every room you sleep in are bugged I think is pure BS, and even if they where I think the officials wouldn't be very interested what we had to say as travelers. Being a journalist the story may of course be different. But still I feel Vice exaggerates in that one. And I usually like the Vice videos.

I feel so embarrass to admit that I did not know anything about those documentaries you mentioned. I will check them out this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I am also aware we have gone off the topic and after this post, they probably will close down this thread, 555. South Korea has very beautiful women. I heard Thai men would go for Korean women and Thai women would go for white men (off the topic again, sorry.) I am not a big fan of Korean food especially Kimchi. Thai people love Korean BBQ at the moment. Have you noticed that Thai people have a brief taste of popularity? They get bored very easily. They'll find something new they like and follow (oops another off the topic.) Anyway, I watched YouTube about the poverty in North Korea. It was very sad and disturbing to see. On the other hand, I am fortunately to be born in Thailand. We are not rich, we are not perfect, but we are free.

The purpose of this thread was to know what are some of the things people dislike most about Thailand and how they want to make it better. The chances are there will be other Thai people who read them and maybe they would try to make a change and make Thailand a better place to live for everyone.

Thailand is my home, and I am rooting for her. I want people who come to Thailand whether to live, to work, or for vacation to have a good experience and love Thailand just as much as I do. I know I am in my la la land again 555.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai

• 5 weeks later...
So please complete the line below

Excuse me I would prefer not to be called farang. You may call me......

By my name seems to be a reasonable expectation.

It would just be silly if all falangs were to be called 'By my name'

Some people are just too easily offended for the smallest things in my opinion. The cure is found in the local pharmacy wink.png

If I was to describe to you an arab person, i'm sure the word arab would be used at some point. I don't think it's racist at all.

But to answere the OP... I've loved every part of thailand i have been to. Not much i would want to change really. I just hope the hardcore bargirl scene in certain areas will not expand to much as not all tourists are in to that smile.png

But really.. I have nothing to complan about!! You may even call me falang biggrin.png

• Like 1

I don't like the arrogant, self-important chinese population in BKK.

I don't like to hear day by day about suffering of children and women.

I don't like the greedy politician (all the same in red or yellow).

I wish for TH peace, peace and PEACE.

TH is amazing and love so much.

• Like 1

I did not know that the foreigners do not like to be called falang before joining this forum.

This is a good example of Thais being misinformed on ThaiVisa. I do not know one farang in Thailand who is bothered by the term "farang," and I have known hundreds, if not thousands. So no, it's not true that farangs are bothered by the term "farang." There are a few on this forum, but they are incredibly misguided and ignorant.

Most of the thousands of Westerners I have known have had problems with the 'farang' word. The longer I live here, the more the word bothers me. I think that the ones not bothered are the ignorant one. They don't speak Thai and can't understand how the 'farang' word is not the same as it was 20 years ago.

Is that because they were not here twenty years ago, and have no idea what it meant then, or what you are talking about?

Really, if I had one wish for Thailand, it would not involve semantics.

SC

I think if I had one wish for Thailand, I would wish that they would align their laws with how they want to be governed, so that honest civil servants could prosper.

I have no axe to grind with motorcycle helmets or drink-driving, or prostitution, but I would like that the law reflects the practice, and vice versa, and that whatever the laws are, that they be enforced,

I like to see honest people prosper and succeed, and I like to know where I stand vis a vis law enforcement.

SC

• Like 1

I don't like the arrogant, self-important chinese population in BKK.

I don't like to hear day by day about suffering of children and women.

I don't like the greedy politician (all the same in red or yellow).

I wish for TH peace, peace and PEACE.

TH is amazing and love so much.

I give you a million likes for this reply!

my wish for Thailand is, an amicable solution to its political problem(never Happen)more serenity and peace in the way they drivecheesy.gif close down Phuket and create a nature reserve, for my thai friends and family in the north east, look after my still!!wai.gif , no floods,, good crops and good health and care for everyone