A wish for Thailand

Somsrisonphimai

Before joining the forum, I thought people love Thailand and all the things Thailand has to offer that they left their country, friends, families, and ways of life to come and live in Thailand. Boy I was wrongfacepalm.gif, maybe I was naive or was in my la la land.

What do you dislike most about Thailand?

If you were Santa, what do you give Thailand this holiday season?

I kinda have an idea what your wish will be but want to hear it from your own words, so lets hear it.

Somsrisonphimai

I think most people do love Thailand and its people,unfortunately this forum seems to attract a lot of people that only have bad things to say about Thailand and the Thai people.

I'm very sorry for that but I don't understand why?

At least they have this forum to vent (:

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I love Thailand but when any good thing becomes commonplace my level of gratitude decreases. My memory is bad so it takes a trip to the UK to realize how good I have it here.

There are a lot of old guys who are grumpy because their memory is worse than mine.

There is no place like home!

Dislike about Thailand?....Well I guess we could ask the same of any country in the world and the answers would be very similar!

Paternalistic Government, Traffic congestion, corruption, taxes, noisy neighbors, barking dogs, etc....same same for all countries...

As for Thailand ...yeah it has its inconveniences but at the end of the day....I love it here!

As for Santa and Thailand....Buddhist country so they don't celebrate Christmas ....BUT they love presents

I did not know that the foreigners do not like to be called falang before joining this forum.

I guess it is safe to say that the majority of them still love Thailand and prefer Thailand than other southeast Asian counties or am I in my la la land again?

I did not know that the foreigners do not like to be called falang before joining this forum.

This is a good example of Thais being misinformed on ThaiVisa. I do not know one farang in Thailand who is bothered by the term "farang," and I have known hundreds, if not thousands. So no, it's not true that farangs are bothered by the term "farang." There are a few on this forum, but they are incredibly misguided and ignorant.

So if you visit ThaiVisa to "better understand" the farang perspective, you are going to get a very, very distorted and inaccurate view. And if you read TV on a regular basis, you may even come away with a very negative view of farangs, that farangs in Thailand are all hateful, obnoxious, retarded, brain-dead bigots. Many of the comments on this forum do support these negative characterizations.

My recommendation to you is to stay away from this forum. And if you do read the comments, do understand that not all farangs think so negatively of the Thais and Thailand. I for one love this country and its people.

I agree with 90% of what you've written. Where we differ is the use of the word in professional settings, especially when those using it know the names of the people they're referring to. I've worked at two schools where the staff constantly referred to the English teachers as 'farang' - farang this, farang that. (And no, I don't mean we were being referred to as a group - specific people were being discussed.) That is rude, even to Thais. In formal or professional settings, Thai culture requires that one be referred to as Khun + their name, e.g., Khun John, Khun Eric, Khun Emily. That is my understanding, maybe I'm wrong.

The above is a small example of what I dislike most about Thailand, the double standards. Not just those existing between westerners and Thais, but moreover those existing here due to the wealth divide. But the truth is, there are double standards everywhere, in all societies, and I've come to realize -- somewhat recently -- is that what I dislike about Thailand is really just a reflection of what I dislike most about human nature in general.

By and large, the world over, different classes of people are treated differently. Still, I considered the hit-and-run incident involving the grandson of the Redbull owner as an indictment of Thai culture. I believed, and still do, that such blatant disregard for the law and human life cannot stand in any moral society. The reality is, though, it's not so much a reflection of Thai culture, but rather the dynamic existing between rich elites and the rest of us. The Redbull incident was just another example of the rich doing what they please and getting away with it.

But this isn't only the case in Thailand. Throughout the world, the rich play by a different set of rules and it never ceases to outrage me.

For those who don't know, there's now a legal term called "affluenza", whereby the rich can be excused for their crimes because their money prevented them from learning the difference between right and wrong.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/12/affluenza-defense-probation-for-deadly-dwi_n_4430807.html

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-texas-teen-drunk-driving-probation-affluenza-20131212,0,61486.story#axzz2nVpE3aoL

The case above, which took place in Texas, is almost identical to the Redbull-Ferrari incident. bah.gif

Edited by aTomsLife
  • Like 1

I love Thailand but when any good thing becomes commonplace my level of gratitude decreases. My memory is bad so it takes a trip to the UK to realize how good I have it here.

There are a lot of old guys who are grumpy because their memory is worse than mine.

There is no place like home!

Thailand IS home now. Been here most of my adult life.

• Like 1

This is a good example of Thais being misinformed on ThaiVisa. I do not know one farang in Thailand who is bothered by the term "farang," and I have known hundreds, if not thousands. So no, it's not true that farangs are bothered by the term "farang." There are a few on this forum, but they are incredibly misguided and ignorant.

Most of the thousands of Westerners I have known have had problems with the 'farang' word. The longer I live here, the more the word bothers me. I think that the ones not bothered are the ignorant one. They don't speak Thai and can't understand how the 'farang' word is not the same as it was 20 years ago.

• Like 2

So if you visit ThaiVisa to "better understand" the farang perspective, you are going to get a very, very distorted and inaccurate view. And if you read TV on a regular basis, you may even come away with a very negative view of farangs, that farangs in Thailand are all hateful, obnoxious, retarded, brain-dead bigots. Many of the comments on this forum do support these negative characterizations.

My recommendation to you is to stay away from this forum. And if you do read the comments, do understand that not all farangs think so negatively of the Thais and Thailand. I for one love this country and its people.

I love this country and it's people too, the vast majority are decent and honest, But I would not advise anyone to stay away from this forum, I have had so much help from other TV members,regarding banks, travel,cars, motorbikes etc etc etc,and the vast majority of them are also decent and honest.

• Like 1

Most of the thousands of Westerners I have known have had problems with the 'farang' word. The longer I live here, the more the word bothers me. I think that the ones not bothered are the ignorant one. They don't speak Thai and can't understand how the 'farang' word is not the same as it was 20 years ago.
As I have said in a previous thread about the use of "ferang" its not the word or meaning in itself that is the problem, its the "tone" that often accompanies it, thats the insulting part.

To use an old phrase "its not what you say, its how you say it".

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

I agree with 90% of what you've written. Where we differ is the use of the word in professional settings, especially when those using it know the names of the people they're referring to. I've worked at two schools where the staff constantly referred to the English teachers as 'farang' - farang this, farang that. (And no, I don't mean we were being referred to as a group - specific people were being discussed.) That is rude, even to Thais. In formal or professional settings, Thai culture requires that one be referred to as Khun + their name, e.g., Khun John, Khun Eric, Khun Emily. That is my understanding, maybe I'm wrong.

The above is a small example of what I dislike most about Thailand, the double standards. Not just those existing between westerners and Thais, but moreover those existing here due to the wealth divide. But the truth is, there are double standards everywhere, in all societies, and I've come to realize -- somewhat recently -- is that what I dislike about Thailand is really just a reflection of what I dislike most about human nature in general.

By and large, the world over, different classes of people are treated differently. Still, I considered the hit-and-run incident involving the grandson of the Redbull owner as an indictment of Thai culture. I believed, and still do, that such blatant disregard for the law and human life cannot stand in any moral society. The reality is, though, it's not so much a reflection of Thai culture, but rather the dynamic existing between rich elites and the rest of us. The Redbull incident was just another example of the rich doing what they please and getting away with it.

But this isn't only the case in Thailand. Throughout the world, the rich play by a different set of rules and it never ceases to outrage me.

For those who don't know, there's now a legal term called "affluenza", whereby the rich can be excused for their crimes because their money prevented them from learning the difference between right and wrong.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/12/affluenza-defense-probation-for-deadly-dwi_n_4430807.html

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-texas-teen-drunk-driving-probation-affluenza-20131212,0,61486.story#axzz2nVpE3aoL

The case above, which took place in Texas, is almost identical to the Redbull-Ferrari incident. bah.gif

Although, falang is not a bad or insult word, after reading comments and posts on this forum, I try not to use the word falang anymore since I know that some people here do not like to be called falang.

• Like 2

Although, falang is not a bad or insult word, after reading comments and posts on this forum, I try not to use the word falang anymore since I know that some people here do not like to be called falang.

Ok, very thoughtful, so as an alternative what term should the Thai people use, you see I find it nonsensical that some dislike the word Farang but would not be able to suggest a viable alternative, as such they are in a vicious circle, so perhaps you could help them out? Before they get too dizzy!

So please complete the line below

Excuse me I would prefer not to be called farang. You may call me......

As I have said in a previous thread about the use of "ferang" its not the word or meaning in itself that is the problem, its the "tone" that often accompanies it, thats the insulting part.

It's said in a low tone: high class consonant with a "mai aek" tone mark...

What's insulting about that?

Ok, very thoughtful, so as an alternative what term should the Thai people use, you see I find it nonsensical that some dislike the word Farang but would not be able to suggest a viable alternative, as such they are in a vicious circle, so perhaps you could help them out? Before they get too dizzy!

Khon tang chaat !

Khon tang chaat !

Your 'out of this world' response is why I requested from Thai perspective.......is there a suitable solution?

My wish for Thailand is that farangs would stop beating this drum, criticising the Thai, and exercise a little more tolerance

OP, You can call me Falang any time you want to as I know the word Falang is not a Bad Word!

Cheers

I'm Thai and I get called Farang simply because I choose not to eat Pala with my Somtum.

Waitress - "Falang mai khin Pala"

They think I have no clue what they're saying!!

ive worked in thailand,

i was operations manager at a stainless steel fabrication workshop

all the staff used to call me khun ron,

i said to them, thank you very much for your respect, but just call me ron,

i never used to loose me temper, if i saw some one struggling with something welding wise or fabrication, i would take the gear from them and show them a better way of doing it, they new i new what i was talking about, i told them i started as a welder many years ago, then into supervision, inspection, so they respected me.

and the point im making i never got called FALANG

the owner of this workshop on the other hand got called the crazy falang all the time,

he didnt have any comunication skills what so ever, used to shout and throw things about if things werent going quite right,

this is just one example ive come across in thailand,

i used to treat everyone the same, from the little older lady who used to make me a cup of tea as soon as i got in my office, they were all welcome into my office to talk about anything,

i was always tought respect has to be earned and not a god given right,

again just my opinion on this forum

jake,,

not khun jake,, not falang jake,,,

jake ,,,lol

• Like 2

Somsrisonphimai

I think most people do love Thailand and its people,unfortunately this forum seems to attract a lot of people that only have bad things to say about Thailand and the Thai people.

I'm very sorry for that but I don't understand why?

I do. It's because many, older farlangs in particular make absolutely no attempt to speak Thai, and are frightened to venture too far from the haunts of other farang. They often misinterpret ' being taken care of ' by wives and girlfriends as a ploy, rather than a cultural norm. Thai people have the same needs and wants as anyone else, and if you show them respect, it will be returned.

Secondly, too many farlang expect the same services, resources, values and attitudes as they had at home, - to be here, and complain when they're not. The long stayers adapt, accept, fit in, and give back to their communities.

I agree. In addition, a lot of the complaining is disguised trolling. Old/disgruntled trolls, Religious trolls, feminish trolls, and general suffer-mongering (victim troll?). This is mostly the anonymous nature of internet + no verification of profiles :unsure:

The foreigners you meet in person tend to be very content with their lives. They are busy actually living >_>

"Second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from note2 TV app

• Like 2

OP, You can call me Falang any time you want to as I know the word Falang is not a Bad Word!

Cheers

I'm Thai and I get called Farang simply because I choose not to eat Pala with my Somtum.

Waitress - "Falang mai khin Pala"

They think I have no clue what they're saying!!

Was she referring to you or the farang race in general?

Someone said a similar thing to me the other day - "farang chawb agaat nao". If I were paranoid, I might think they were saying that I liked cold weather, which I don't. However they were saying that people of European origin like cold weather.

• Like 1

there will always be some that were ever they lived they would find fault,

i for one love thailand and love me life in thailand, i still work so i wish i could be at home more, i have to think of my childrens future and still go to work,,

if i was santa, that is a hard one,

give all the girls enough money so they didnt have to work in bars,

but i suppose if i could do that, then some of the tourists wouldnt come and that would effect other families who own shops ect,

jake

...and many TV members would be leaving as well.

• Like 1