Why do Thais watch me and gossip so much?

Tmymaimee

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY?

Because, in Thailand, you don't take unaccompanied girls back to where you live.

If you do, they will talk about it until you move somewhere else.

Every girlfriend you ever have will be informed, the moment they speak to a local.

"watch out, this guy brings girls home"

PS

Love hotels usually charge 130bht/hr.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

"one of the shop workers asked how much I paid for rent"

Nothing new about those type of questions, happens often. First encountered it many years ago when I bought a car. Often get 'how much?' questions. Felt the same way then as you and not their business. But realized it is a cultural thing and just tell them something like 'too much' or 'cheap' without going into details. That satisfies them it seems or at least stops them from further querying. Even my house rent, keep getting asked how much I pay. But to be fair, get the same question from foreigners. But in their case, it is for a valid reason usually and to compare prices.

• Like 2

Something like 70-80% of the spoken word is gossip, Thailand likely being more like 99%. However, you did kind of ask for it, bringing home a tart when you've go a missus. They're just looking out for their own. As an side, locals asking what one earns or pays for accommodation tends to have more to do with where to place you in the social hierarchy.

I don't care…I am only asking why they care so much. Sure, I'm happy here but next time I'll just use a short time hotel…its not worth the aggravation to try and save 350 baht.

Not that i do ,but to be honest if i was taking a hooker out i would have more respect than to bring her to the home i share with my wife or girlfriend ,to add to that i would never ever bring a hooker to my home as you do not know what they may do later.

Obvious...coffee1.gif

When the Thai folks ask "Do I have a Thai wife or a girlfriend?" I just answer "Both!" and leave them to ponder.

This combined with the rent question is cleverly designed to see if you have enough spare cash to make it worthwhile for them to offer you their daughter/sister/wife as a bed partner.

• Like 1

"Do they honestly not have anything better to do with their lives?"

That's it, you see, you already have an answer to your question.

It doesn't matter what you do, but many (tooooo many) locals would just not have anything else better to do or possibly think by theirselfs.

This also applies to other aspects of this society, as for example seeing the staff of a government hospital always busy in doing whatever activity, as dancing in funny costumes, outdoor exercising, you name it!.....instead of maybe sending them to a training program to let them become better in their profession, or just taking care of the hundreds (hundreds!) of people waiting to be visited by some personnel.....which are busy outside dancing.

Don't worry, with the time passing by, you will get used to it and truly understand the local "culture"....

I don't care…I am only asking why they care so much. Sure, I'm happy here but next time I'll just use a short time hotel…its not worth the aggravation to try and save 350 baht.

Not that i do ,but to be honest if i was taking a hooker out i would have more respect than to bring her to the home i share with my wife or girlfriend ,to add to that i would never ever bring a hooker to my home as you do not know what they may do later.

But then there's the case when you need to bring her to the home you share with your wife or girlfriend to share her with your wife or girlfriend.

• Like 1

Not to mention the first day of moving here, one of the shop workers asked how much I paid for rent. I basically told her in clear words to mind her own business.

That was quite rude of you when you might have had a pleasant interaction w/ the worker.

It's standard Asian culture to ask you how much you pay for things. Even Japanese, most polite people in the world, do that. They're shocked when you tell them that back in the West it'd be bad manners.

You must be Fresh Off The Boat w/ much to learn. Chill and learn w/o all the provincial righteousness.

• Like 2

OP: "Now that I speak Thai, everywhere I listen (elevators, street corners, etc.) I hear Thai people gossip".

Maybe you have learned a few words and when you hear them you think that you're important enough to be gossiped about?

Or,.......... just maybe........it's possible......., it has been known........you could be a bit paranoid.