What did you do to warm up your house ?

THAIPHUKET

Ladies and Gentlemen, why don´t you simply assume that I know how to dress inside and outside the bed, assume that I still know how to cuddle up.. when it´s cold. Why don´t you assume the most natural thing which goes back to what we are used in other parts of the world-------namely that it is nice to have a certain level of room temperature of 21 degree while doing whatever in the evening.

Why do you must always impose your style of living on others?

I was posing a technical question, such as = can I get good under floor heating in CM, installed by whom? Running cost?

Can we talk technicalities only, please!

My apologies, I by no means meant to imply you didn't know how dress properly as you my have assumed from my post.

I merely meant to suggest that the low temperatures of the past couple of days imho are by no means normal and will not last all that long and if you can tough it out for a few days I'm sure the temps will return to a pleasant cool season norm making it unnecessary to invest in what may be some rather costly in home heating solutions that will be seldom needed.

However none of my concern or business what you do with your money.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But all in all it's really unrealistic, impractical and inefficient in our cement structures here.

Yes concrete has great thermal mass. That can be used to advantage however if the design is right - our main level stays within a few degrees of 25 regardless of the daily swings. Higher stories are...another story however. More sophisticated systems like under-floor water circulation etc are really not cost effective considering the relatively short cold season. I built not one but two fireplaces with a convective heater but we never seem to use them...although today I was tempted!

I have a well sealed/insulated house. Got a 2 burner gas stove and electric oven. Ceiling fans (on low) move the air. It keeps the living portion warm. Don't have to run the heat all he time. The bedrooms I don't worry about, got big comforters.

If I live further north, I have an electric blanket. I bought it before this house was built.

I, being the original poster , am tremendously relieved that I can spend my own moneys as I see fit.

I am also moved by some of your cold-fighting strategies.

Here the task to the followers of this post:

I got a working chimney. How to fire it with GAS ?

Fire places and chimney are a tremendous waste of heat.

I, being the original poster , am tremendously relieved that I can spend my own moneys as I see fit.

Come to think of it, that is probably right= waste of energy............as long as we didn´t know better. The ceiling fans will solve the problem of the heat from the burners being too directional. Can you say more about the type/brand /size of the heaters and the room?

One of the reasons we my wife bought our her house was that it was really good at keeping the heat of the sun out.

Who's f~#~#~g stupid idea was that?

Reason enough for an extra nightcap and some bedroom gymnastics though. Bright side and all that.

• Like 1

I broke out our little camping heater that is screwed into a large LPG gas canister and fire it up for a few minutes in the morning and evening. Amazing how much heat it can put out just to take the chill out. Thanks to my friend that brought it over from the US 8 yrs ago.

Actually I wouldn't mind a small electric heating pad at night some times when I wake up with cramps from the cold. There was an old thread a while ago that discussed that..............does anyone remember if a source was mentioned??

I really cannot do anything to warm up the house except don more clothes. When I came to Thailand to live I brought my duvet which I thought I would never use . However I have found it a great asset this last few days. I am so warm I do not want to rise from my bed. A poster mentioned that he were making a corn beef stew. I have not seen corned beef in Thailand except for the canned variety. Antone know where to purchase it in South I ssan? Thanks in advance for any advance where to purchase.

I have a well sealed/insulated house. Got a 2 burner gas stove and electric oven. Ceiling fans (on low) move the air. It keeps the living portion warm. Don't have to run the heat all he time. The bedrooms I don't worry about, got big comforters.

If I live further north, I have an electric blanket. I bought it before this house was built.

Aaah! Electric blankets. One would be so nice for a few nights of the year...

I really cannot do anything to warm up the house except don more clothes. When I came to Thailand to live I brought my duvet which I thought I would never use . However I have found it a great asset this last few days. I am so warm I do not want to rise from my bed. A poster mentioned that he were making a corn beef stew. I have not seen corned beef in Thailand except for the canned variety. Antone know where to purchase it in South I ssan? Thanks in advance for any advance where to purchase.

The corned beef stew, or stewed bugs and onions as my dad always called it is the north of England variety - one tin of corned beef, one sliced onion, one kilo of thinly sliced potatoes and gravy mix cook in the oven for a couple of hours. Real comfort food.

I brought some tins of corned beef back from UK; you can get it here but it's very expensive and we had extra weight left over.

15C here in Chiang Mai this morning and feeling cool also.

Most houses here are so totally ventilated that any heat produced would be lost.

Out with the winter woolies, beanie and thick socks. Oh for my sheep skin Ugg boots!

NAH------- Cuddle up with my little brownie on the sofa with some sweet music giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen, why don´t you simply assume that I know how to dress inside and outside the bed, assume that I still know how to cuddle up.. when it´s cold. Why don´t you assume the most natural thing which goes back to what we are used in other parts of the world-------namely that it is nice to have a certain level of room temperature of 21 degree while doing whatever in the evening.

Why do you must always impose your style of living on others?

I was posing a technical question, such as = can I get good under floor heating in CM, installed by whom? Running cost?

Can we talk technicalities only, please!

Did you not read roger1999's post (#19)? I thought that might be worth a try. And it's cheap!

What part of Thailand are you???

I live in Khon Kaen and am in New Zealand for Xmas/NY I should think about bringing elecy blanket back.

I have company in NZ we distribute portable air conditioners with heat pump for heating I should think about doing them in Thailand.

This is true - if you intend to use a fireplace for warmth, you need to build a heat exchanger to get the maximum amount of heat from your fuel:

4d4388b018499_60126n.jpg

• Like 1

The corned beef stew, or stewed bugs and onions as my dad always called it is the north of England variety - one tin of corned beef, one sliced onion, one kilo of thinly sliced potatoes and gravy mix cook in the oven for a couple of hours. Real comfort food.

I brought some tins of corned beef back from UK; you can get it here but it's very expensive and we had extra weight left over.

Sounds like Bettys hotpot

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• Like 1