What did you do to warm up your house ?

THAIPHUKET

It's the coldest I've been in 4 years here - this morning the coconut oil next to the cooker had turned white and solid, something that has never happened before.

Odd, but I'm actually enjoying it being chilly - good excuse to have stodgy comfort food to warm us up. Corned beef and sliced potato stew tomorrow I think.

Panaculty with warm stotty and plenty of butter. Loverly

Den

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid in Freezing bloody England, we had a Coal Fire in the Lounge, that heated up the water boiler and the airing cupboard upstairs and that was it. Electric Blankets hadn't been invented so it was the trusty 'Hot Water Bottle', made of stone that granny gave you, that your feet rested on in bed. Dare you suggest to your Father that you were cold he would say....'go and put another jumper on then, and stop moaning' !

Subsequently now; at the age of 68... i still go and put another jumper on, and stop moaning.

Won't be long before all the 'hard nuts' are on here moaning about the heat.

• Like 1

Dario, on 17 Dec 2013 - 22:35, said:

I have three hot air blowers from Switzerland and have one installed in each bathroom. When I bought the first one about 27 years ago (still working!) people told me I'm crazy. I think I'm not.

Good thing.........you are still alive.......hot air blowers in the bathroom ??????????????

denby45, on 19 Dec 2013 - 12:10, said:

It's the coldest I've been in 4 years here - this morning the coconut oil next to the cooker had turned white and solid, something that has never happened before.

Odd, but I'm actually enjoying it being chilly - good excuse to have stodgy comfort food to warm us up. Corned beef and sliced potato stew tomorrow I think.

Den

And watch, Last Tango in Paris.

Unbelievable you guys yes a little cool but not cold at night. Really cannot fathom what most of u people are complaining about . If I was asked what would be the ideal climate to live in this is it . 30 degrees tops during the day with perfect balmy afternoons just a little breeze then dropping down to 19-20 at night so easy to sleep . No need for heaters or air conditioners what more could you ask for ? Or is it some of you you just have whinge for nothing else to say .

Dario, on 17 Dec 2013 - 22:35, said:

I have three hot air blowers from Switzerland and have one installed in each bathroom. When I bought the first one about 27 years ago (still working!) people told me I'm crazy. I think I'm not.

Good thing.........you are still alive.......hot air blowers in the bathroom ??????????????

Yeah, still alive. The hot air blowers are nowhere near the water, plus ... all of our electrical outlets are earthed. Never seen hot air blowers in a bathroom in Europe?? At least, our bathrooms are warm in the cold season, yours most probably not. Enjoy your cold bathroom!

Den

My stewed bugs and onions is just panaculty without the fancy bits - only corned beef, potatoes and onions in the collieries' version, but made up for by all the crispy potatoes on top tongue.png

I was going to make stotty cakes last week but got distracted, maybe tomorrow will be the day.

re

No electric blowers, they make the air uncomfortably dry.

it works for me ! ... mines been on since 7 am this morning and my rooms lovely and warm smile.png

dave2

ps .. 20 quid in argos england .... and about the same postage 6 years ago !

a bit better than 6490 baht here sad.png

Yes and if you open a window it will make the air quality alright. We have heating system. As the Senior member of the family it is incumbent on me to care for family of about three hundred. Thank God for life. The next home we build, will include fireplace.

Unbelievable you guys yes a little cool but not cold at night. Really cannot fathom what most of u people are complaining about . If I was asked what would be the ideal climate to live in this is it . 30 degrees tops during the day with perfect balmy afternoons just a little breeze then dropping down to 19-20 at night so easy to sleep . No need for heaters or air conditioners what more could you ask for ? Or is it some of you you just have whinge for nothing else to say .

Let me ask you..do you complain in the hot season? Do you feel that you are overheating when it hits the high 30s?

I dont.

I revel in it.

i love every moment of the high hot and humid tempertures, but crumple up and huddle up like an old person in the cold. The cold gives me little zest for life and become miserable. The more extreme the cold, the more miserable i become.

Some, for what reason i do not know, are able to deal with heat better than cold and vice versa.

• Like 2

15C here in Chiang Mai this morning and feeling cool also.

Most houses here are so totally ventilated that any heat produced would be lost.

Out with the winter woolies, beanie and thick socks. Oh for my sheep skin Ugg boots!

NAH------- Cuddle up with my little brownie on the sofa with some sweet music giggle.gifgiggle.gif

you must be in Isaan. they are white here.

15C here in Chiang Mai this morning and feeling cool also.

Most houses here are so totally ventilated that any heat produced would be lost.

Out with the winter woolies, beanie and thick socks. Oh for my sheep skin Ugg boots!

NAH------- Cuddle up with my little brownie on the sofa with some sweet music giggle.gifgiggle.gif

you must be in Isaan. they are white here.

..a tad romantic for a piece of cake, but each to their own. smile.png

Brownie300dpi.jpg

• Like 1

I grew up in a place where I delivered newspapers as a kid at 4 am in 50 cm of snow when it was -20 C and I was cold in Ubon last week.

It didn't help that all I had with me was shorts and shortsleeve shirts.

It was 14C outside and maybe 15C inside. If I was alone it wouldn't be an issue but when your Thai girlfriend says "nou" when it's below 25, it's worth the 800 baht for an improvised heater.

I brought this item to Thailand a long, long time ago, must be 27 years. Still going strong. Didn't need to put it on a year ago. But since about a week on every morning and evening when we take showers. I have two more newer heaters. Not at all stupid to have them when you need them.

post-5472-0-26708000-1387500962_thumb.jp

• Like 2

For me, this is the first and only time it's been cold like this in 4 years here in Chiang Mai. And, it's only a temporary condition. Not worth sitting around debating, certainly not worth spending money on a resolution (what you gonna do with that electric heater the other 11-½ months of the year?).

Ok, so I wear my fleece sweater in the house, put on socks, wear long pants instead of shorts all day. Oh, and I closed the windows and doors. At night, in addition to the top sheet I normally sleep under, I got out my down sleeping bag, and cover up with that. (The wife and kid are wrapped up in all the other blankets in the house.)

In the morning, I toss the sleeping bag on the wife and grab a thin blanket and sit wrapped up, having morning coffee, waiting for the sun to come out and if I get ambitious, I go out, sit in the sunshine and let Sol warm me up, like the little old ladies on the soi.

Some, for what reason i do not know, are able to deal with heat better than cold and vice versa.

While I do not like extreme cold below 50f/10c I do feel better in cooler rather than high heat.

But my normal body temp is a full degree lower than "normal" or 98.6F/37C

So I always wondered if folks normal body temp has something to do with it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, why don´t you simply assume that I know how to dress inside and outside the bed, assume that I still know how to cuddle up.. when it´s cold. Why don´t you assume the most natural thing which goes back to what we are used in other parts of the world-------namely that it is nice to have a certain level of room temperature of 21 degree while doing whatever in the evening.

Why do you must always impose your style of living on others?

I was posing a technical question, such as = can I get good under floor heating in CM, installed by whom? Running cost?

Can we talk technicalities only, please!

Yes you can get under floor heating installed in CM but perhaps you really want in floor heating. What is your floor made of? Can't begin to tell you whom or how much without knowing that basic, what your specs for performance temperature range are and the approximate number of square meters you want to install (big area=lower price per meter).

Yeh, lets get technical.

Is cold up here in the N/E but that does offer one or two opportunities. Now drinking a lovely bottle of red wine at room temperature rather than out of the fridge. Have stocked up and hope to get through quite a few bottles before the weather turns hot again. That'll probably be the week after next. Cheers

My first impression a few days ago was "It's Cold!"...but is it really?...If you think about it,it is definitely chilly compering to our "hot" days,but putting some 'real' clouts,socks,long pants and maybe even a jacket can solve most of the unconformable feelings...but the days are so pleasant !!.....That's probably the best weather possible....think about it...I have no complaints.....

The house can get cold...so do the opposite,that I do in the hot season...close all the windows,doors and vents for the night and open everything during the warm day hours to let the warm air in...and if you have a heater use it...if not,cover up smile.png

• Like 1

Last night 12°C here at far East.

Must heat up the remotes for TV and senders box with me under a load of blankets. Even with new batteries couldn't function properly.

Same with the wife; (but same without batteries).