Election postponement possible if parties agree: Thai EC

webfact

He would be willing to delay elections for TWO YEARS?

During this period there are going to have to be decisions made about the economy- about foreign affairs- budgets will have to be determined.

Who is going to do that during this two year delay?

The EC seems to have ZERO concept of the basic tenant of democratic elections. THey are NOT held for the benefit of political parties. They are held for the benefit of the citizens, that they may have representation in government.

Even if both parties (and the smaller parties get no say?) agree to delay elections, the people of Thailand, the voters, have been deprived of their fundamental democratic right.

That such a notion would come from an agency tasked with ensuring the peoples' right to representation is--

• Like 2

no, no and no

don't give into the mob - hold elections as agreed by Royal Decree and give power back to the people (who will trounce the Dems yet again at the polls)

You seem to have a real fear of reform. Any particular reason for it?

absolutely the opposite, I fear the Amart clinging on to power fighting reform and that is what is happening now - people's council? no elections? 'appointed' PM? no one is more for free and fair elections than I and no one is more against them than Suthep and the 100,000

BTW if he did not get 1m did he not say he would hand himself in? is this a man we can trust to reform Thailand?

"We are willing to delay [the election] for three months, six months, one year to two years. But first things first: The political parties have to reach an agreement. The second thing is whether it [a delay] is allowed by the law. We, the EC, are the third factor," EC member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said.

Great,... like I said in a previous post, this would be enough time to set up new vote buying strategies and populist policies towards their voters AND enough time until the amnesty bill ban has been lifted to re-introduce this again, and everything is straight path for Thaksin and co,...

no, no and no

don't give into the mob - hold elections as agreed by Royal Decree and give power back to the people (who will trounce the Dems yet again at the polls)

reforms hold by someone who fear new election? dont bother to answer, i know why...whistling.gif

Please share with us why they fear reforms and how it relates to binjalin's fear. Do you think he is a PTP elected official?

no, no and no

absolutely the opposite, I fear the Amart clinging on to power fighting reform and that is what is happening now - people's council? no elections? 'appointed' PM? no one is more for free and fair elections than I and no one is more against them than Suthep and the 100,000

BTW if he did not get 1m did he not say he would hand himself in? is this a man we can trust to reform Thailand?

Now I am confused you say that you fear the Amart hanging on to power. Yet when some one wants reform you fight them.

Who has taken the power away from the people? Last time I heard they had an election and voted in the current party. They have not had an election yet the current party under its own motives decided to step down and hold a new election. A common practice in a government that is parliamentarian.

Why don't you forget the nonsense and admit it you do not want an election where the people can not be bought and where the truth is known. You prefer elections where votes can be bought and false promises made. I will make you rich in 6 months. Sound familiar to you.

Every child in school will have a tablet. They forgot to mention it was a ten year program and that the tablets would be cheap and of no real value to education. Pay astronomical price for your rice . But in are time not on delivery Oh and by the way your rents and costs are all going to go up because you are making so much money and here is a credit card to charge it on so you can pay even more with the interest.

I repeat why do you fear reform from this kind of politics.

Have an honest and open election where the true facts are known to all. That would include the uneducated that the PTP rely so heavily on.

I see where all the military have come out now and agreed with the protestors on that point.

no, no and no

Remembering the facts that causes the protests:

Undermining of the Constitiution for taking full power and push out any opposition.

Amnesty bill for corruption and murder cases.

Economic disaster causes by vote buying through rice pledging scheme.

Worse increase of corruption, attested by international comission.

Plan to make 3 Trillion Bath dept.

This Government failed completly, and there are some millions want to stop it.

Suthep is going to make the way free for reforms, Im sure that this all will be discussed by the people before the Constitiution will be changed. On the other side, Yinluck is my personally favor, I profit if the Baht weakens. But I prefer a good Government and more unity for all Thais. biggrin.png

no, no and no

"BTW if he did not get 1m did he not say he would hand himself in?"

1. He is Thai, thus anything he says needs to be examined and interpreted. All is not what it seems.

2. Thaksin said he'd make everyone rich in six months. (Which six months in which year, no-one is sure)

3. Chalerm said he would be executed if Thaksin was not back by the end of the year. (Not sure which year.)

4. Nattawut Saikua said he'd accept responsibility for Bangkok burning. (Now a deputy minister)

5. Since Suthep seems to have free rein, no-one has arrested him after weeks of protests, threats,attacks on government facilities, marches, slurs and insults does anyone expect things to change. T.I.T.

Nobody has the guts to arrest him for the same reason no-one has arrested Thaksin. He is untouchable.

The show must go on.

• Like 1

no, no and no

reforms hold by someone who fear new election? dont bother to answer, i know why...whistling.gif

Please share with us why they fear reforms and how it relates to binjalin's fear. Do you think he is a PTP elected official?

cant you read?

i just said that grandma Suthep fear new elections...laugh.png but again dont bother to answer, i know why he (Suthep)fear....whistling.gif

no, no and no

You equate the Shin clan with ruling in the interests of the people ? clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Look at what has happened since they took office. Who do you think got them in the current mess?

Vote PTP and you'll get more of the same - total corruption and dictatorship justified by "we've been elected twice - we can really do what we want now".

Or vote Democrat and go back to being treated as surfs by a feudal elite who exercise total control but keep more in the background are not so in your face.

Great choices - chances of reform: pretty slim if at all. Enrich the Shin clan - which will be quick and knacker the country, or go back to being bled slowly by the old guard.

I really hope something different happens - most Thais I talk with do too. But, no one has the balls or vision to do it.

no, no and no

Now I am confused you say that you fear the Amart hanging on to power. Yet when some one wants reform you fight them.

Who has taken the power away from the people? Last time I heard they had an election and voted in the current party. They have not had an election yet the current party under its own motives decided to step down and hold a new election. A common practice in a government that is parliamentarian.

Why don't you forget the nonsense and admit it you do not want an election where the people can not be bought and where the truth is known. You prefer elections where votes can be bought and false promises made. I will make you rich in 6 months. Sound familiar to you.

Every child in school will have a tablet. They forgot to mention it was a ten year program and that the tablets would be cheap and of no real value to education. Pay astronomical price for your rice . But in are time not on delivery Oh and by the way your rents and costs are all going to go up because you are making so much money and here is a credit card to charge it on so you can pay even more with the interest.

I repeat why do you fear reform from this kind of politics.

Have an honest and open election where the true facts are known to all. That would include the uneducated that the PTP rely so heavily on.

I see where all the military have come out now and agreed with the protestors on that point.

PTP have demonstrated their unique approach to democracy, respect for the law, and reforms over the last 2,5 years. Why would they want to change a system that they know is easily manipulated and corrupted in their favor?

The people in their 'strongholds' are told who to vote for, checked to make sure they do, and then given some cash as a "thank you". Do the opposition do this in their "strongholds" and the minor parties in theirs - of course.

The are three types of reform. Replace an elected government with an appointed one, use the current system but with better checks, observers and processes to remove the rigging, intimidation and bribery, or come up with a new system (might want to consider looking at other countries' systems for some ideas!).

As usual it will be polarized opinions here - no changes or no democracy seem to be the stands.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

He would be willing to delay elections for TWO YEARS?

During this period there are going to have to be decisions made about the economy- about foreign affairs- budgets will have to be determined.

Who is going to do that during this two year delay?

The EC seems to have ZERO concept of the basic tenant of democratic elections. THey are NOT held for the benefit of political parties. They are held for the benefit of the citizens, that they may have representation in government.

Even if both parties (and the smaller parties get no say?) agree to delay elections, the people of Thailand, the voters, have been deprived of their fundamental democratic right.

That such a notion would come from an agency tasked with ensuring the peoples' right to representation is--

How long was it before the Junta allowed elections last time? How was this country administered then? How peaceful it was. Happy days.

And do I need to remind you the very first thing any of them do is to make life miserable/more difficult for Johnny Foreigner (that's you and I) in a robust crowd pleasing show of nationalism?

The outrage from those (non Thais) who stand to lose either way, on this forum is hilarious laugh.png Now bring on the 'but but but ... my Thai family ...' Yeah dry.png

But if the election date cannot be postponed, the PDRC should help campaign for a fair election and no vote buying, Somchai said.

Better tell them dems

Deputy Democrat party leader Alongkorn Ponlaboot in an interview that was broadcast on May 31, 2013 on John Winyu’s show (รองหัวหน้าพรรคประชาธิปัตย์กล่าวในรายการ “เจาะข่าวตื้น ตอน 99″) stated:

“Recently, if we speak directly, they [Puea Thai] use little money. I am not saying we [the Democrats] use more money than them [Puea Thai]. [host interprets with statement "they are using less money"]. It has become inverted [host interprets and says "They don't need to use so much money?"] I say if it is like that then don’t say we lost because of money”. “For the last election, it may be because we actually used more than them. Therefore, don’t talk about this issue anymore."

Very interesting post- thanks. (Suthep once made a similar statement- that the 'vote buying' by the PTP is not of the cash in envelope variety anymore- but rather populist policies.

clutching straws there. Dems spent more money vote buying than anybody at the last election. You heard it from a Depuyty PM. Its just a reminder to all those idiots that keep saying PTP bought the election. I have many more little snippets like that but this declaration should suffice for now.

It is obvious that Thaksin doesn't want any reform that doesn't allow him to govern the country from his enclave so PTP won't budge.

A few months ago we had a 'reconciliation' forum with a few ex-politicians flown in to boost the facade. The result - nothing. Now they are having 'reform' talk-fests from which - according to PTP's (n)ever-lying spokesperson - all are agreed that the general election somehow constitutes reform. It's all bullshit.

Suthep hasn't helped his case by not having a clear method of reform with no real time limit. Some of his ideas are unachievable but others are quite possible to implement if the will is there. For example he proposes elections for provincial governors and the police chief as well as decentralising some arms of government. All good points but lost amidst the hate-filled crap against him personally instead of a level-headed look at what he has proposed.

But he has opened Thai eyes to the need for reforms to tackle corruption which includes vote-buying & nepotism.

Suthep has got no policies, no 300 committee members and no idea. How many times does it have to be stated. This is about Thaksin but not about reforming anything. Suthep and his backers need to grab power now...now...now, they are terrirfied of what the future holds with Thaksins Allies. We only need one D Day to win the second world war and this clown has had 5 already.

Ask why he keeps it going...why ...why...why. We did not need reforms when the Dems had power. Please think outside the box and ask questions its not about what you can post. My head hurts banging it on this concrete

no, no and no

But will only win if big brother square faced fugitive in Dubai has his cronies rig the election so they can't lose like they have been caught and banned for doing 3 times before. This is why Suthep says no. There can never be a fair election when Shin's and their brown nosers are involved...