I don't like to correct my gf when she's speaking English. Am I the only one?

wellred

One the things I like about my tgf is the way she speaks baby english. Me go shower now, what you say she, me want to looking movie ect.....

I used to try and correct her but after I while it occurred in doing so I was driving out some of her cuteness. So now I find myself also speaking baby English with her. I think this also gives her some reassurance that she is speaking correctly hence will make no attempt to improve. Great!!!!

On a side note I did once observe to falangs speaking baby english to each other. It was quite amazing to watch.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences?

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This way of talking is quite common,and bloody annoying,they learn't this pidgin type of English before they ever met you,from other Thais,and is now almost impossible to correct,as the saying goes"old habits die hard" such as "no have" "no can do" "me no understand" or something else prefixed with me. It may sound cute now,but wouldn't win her a job back in your own country,dealing with the public!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 2

This way of talking is quite common,and bloody annoying,they learn't this pidgin type of English before they ever met you,from other Thais,and is now almost impossible to correct,as the saying goes"old habits die hard" such as "no have" "no can do" "me no understand" or something else prefixed with me. It may sound cute now,but wouldn't win her a job back in your own country,dealing with the public!

Somehow this kind of Pidgin English is catching,up to now I have had to correct 2 English guys,who had gone native,and were actually talking to me in this type of Pidgin English!

• Like 1

I do correct my GF to help her understand better and she wants me to. Wait until to you go back to your home country and start answering everyone in Thai! And you don't realize you've done it. The looks you will get.

My wife speaks just about perfect english sometimes to good . I do find it odd when some of my friends whos wives still speak" me go to bat room " talk to her like she doesn't understand common English. Years ago we talked like this , some of my friends would just crack up listening to us talk . No problem its all part of the cross culture marriage....

The best one was when she first came to the US we were watching TV and she was scratching her arm . I asked whats the matter she said Im skitchey I died laughing ..... The other word was very she could not say a V sound to save her life ,, was always worry .......

I do find it odd when some of my friends whos wives still speak" me go to bat room " talk to her like she doesn't understand common English.

Her friends don't understand good English?

My wife has degree in English and obviously very good and learning more every day here in UK. I will occasionally correct phraseology and pronunciation as people won't understand occasionally. I don't go over the top and largely let her learn through her residence. She works full-time and learns far more from the social interaction. It's more gentle.

• Like 2

I can't be bothered to rather than not liking to correct my wife but glad I did.

I wouldn't want her to be speaking bad English with me in front of our children.

I get really annoyed with some friends who come round to ours and speak pidgin Thai/English with my kids. I mean what the ####? It is funny though watching my kids cringe. One of my friends who is the worst teaches English at a university!

Much of it depends on where and how they learned to speak English in the first place.

subtle ...
wink.png

Very....given the fact, large numbers of Thai English degree holders, some,even with masters degrees from the likes of Chula can't speak proper English either, and do talk in baby English as well

I can't be bothered to rather than not liking to correct my wife but glad I did.

I wouldn't want her to be speaking bad English with me in front of our children.

I get really annoyed with some friends who come round to ours and speak pidgin Thai/English with my kids. I mean what the ####? It is funny though watching my kids cringe. One of my friends who is the worst teaches English at a university!

I correct "her in doors" all the time and expect her to correct my Thai..... If the native speaker is not correcting, how someone to improve in a language which is not their native one ?

Even at work I help correct my Thai colleagues English, obviously doing in such a way as I am not coming across as a grammar Nazi

• Like 1

One of the reasons I started to learn Thai was that I didn't like to correct my wife's English all the time. I will do it from time to time, if I think she's struggling with a concept, like the verb 'to be' as in s/he is, they are, I am. But doing it constantly while people are trying to communicate is annoying, to the speaker and the listener.

So sometimes it's better to let the conversation flow, and if you want to pick up on something that needs work, do it later when you can pick the moment.

It definitely helps that we can refer to both languages now if there's something that isn't immediately clear.

It is worth doing some correcting, when she visits London it's nice to know that she can go off by herself and be understood by people who don't understand all the 'my friend you' stuff.

• Like 2