Honda Civic - Engine grinding noise

Phil Conners

That is correct - I noticed that while taking the video - and it's essentially also what the mechanics were trying to explain my Wife. Any ideas why that is and why Honda feel it should cost another 5,000 baht to fix (just paid them 5,000 to fix something in the same general area a month or two ago, something related to the power steering iirc.

It looks to me that it's the auxiliary belt tensioner pulley nut.

The only reasons that it would be moving like that is:

The mechanics that worked on that area before forgot to tighten it and it's just

worked itself loose.

or

The bearing inside has collapsed and the whole tensioner needs replacing.

If i were you, the first thing i would do is try tightening that nut to see if it is loose.

If the nut is tight and it is moving like it is in your video then you need to take it to a workshop and have it repaired asap.

For what it's worth, the belt tensioner pulley bracket appears to be broken and needs replacing. Also one or both of the pulley bearings may also be bad and the bad pulley may need replacing, there's two of them. They all wear out over time and 5,000B is cheap compared to what you'd pay in the states. I had to replace the same bracket in my 2007 Civic also but lucky not the pulleys. The sound goes away as the belt gets warm and loosens up. We suspect the mechanic over tightened the tensioner but could never prove it.

The mechanics that worked on that area before forgot to tighten it and it's just

worked itself loose.

or

If i were you, the first thing i would do is try tightening that nut to see if it is loose.

If the nut is tight and it is moving like it is in your video then you need to take it to a workshop and have it repaired asap.

Actually it looks like a nut but it seems to be welded onto a plate that goes perpendicular under the belt thingy on the left.

Find it hard to believe its ever been in a Genuine Honda Franchise , a blind man on a galloping horse could spot that.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1443177670 width=25 height=19>

I think if you read my OP that was exactly what the mechanics spotted and pointed out to my wife. The problem (or at least part of it) was he could not explain what the problem was in a way that my wife could understand and relay to me who for reasons irrelevant to this discussion did not have the option of being present.

#1 '...one of the rubber engine mounts that needed replacing'

As an aside, it is my understanding that all rubber engine mounts are replaced even when only one appears to need replacing. FWIW.

They probably do in the west where salary costs are an issue. Here in Thailand the usually replace one at the time until actually needed. Yes it surprised me first as well, welcome to Thailand.

For what it's worth, the belt tensioner pulley bracket appears to be broken and needs replacing. Also one or both of the pulley bearings may also be bad and the bad pulley may need replacing, there's two of them. They all wear out over time and 5,000B is cheap compared to what you'd pay in the states. I had to replace the same bracket in my 2007 Civic also but lucky not the pulleys. The sound goes away as the belt gets warm and loosens up. We suspect the mechanic over tightened the tensioner but could never prove it.

Yes I know 5000 baht would not buy you a lot of time in the west, but we're in Thailand here. Cheap as it may seem to you, I'm quite sure a good independent garage would charge considerably less, assuming they were not getting fleeced on the parts prices from Honda. It was my understanding there are only original Honda parts available, but thinking about it that doesn't sound right either.

The point of the post was that we just had something repaired in the same general area and it just seemed to me that it was quite likely to be related, hence why I wanted some second opinions.

worked itself loose.

or

Actually it looks like a nut but it seems to be welded onto a plate that goes perpendicular under the belt thingy on the left.

Yes I know 5000 baht would not buy you a lot of time in the west, but we're in Thailand here. Cheap as it may seem to you, I'm quite sure a good independent garage would charge considerably less, assuming they were not getting fleeced on the parts prices from Honda. It was my understanding there are only original Honda parts available, but thinking about it that doesn't sound right either.

The point of the post was that we just had something repaired in the same general area and it just seemed to me that it was quite likely to be related, hence why I wanted some second opinions.

Hard to tell whether it's related to the recent work you had done,

unless you check the paperwork that they would have given you when you paid your bill

and received your car back.

but either way, you still have a faulty tensioner and looks like it needs replacing.

OK, that's a newer model than what I was thinking. In this case you don't need the pry bar!

The nut will be where you mount the tool to exert pressure on spring to loosen the belt. The bolt that is visible will be the one on the spring tensioner. The pivot bolt may not be visible.

Check the pix's.

The adjuster tool

post-63954-0-38471100-1388285079_thumb.j

The part off the car

post-63954-0-30650100-1388285132_thumb.j