Graft widespread among educational staff: Thailand

webfact

Graft widespread among educational staff
Supinda na Mahachai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- MORE THAN HALF of respondents in a recent survey said they had noticed corrupt practices at educational institutes.

The survey covered 294 school administrators, teachers, students and academics.

The most common form of wrongful practice is teachers or school administrators spending their work hours on something else, according to the survey.

Other common wrongful behaviours are the use of government resources for personal interest, nepotism, and abuse of authority, the findings show.

Rungnapa Nutravong, an expert at the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec), released the findings at a press conference yesterday.

"Greed is the foremost cause," she said, adding that poor financial conditions, lack of ethical leaders, ambition and pressure were among the common causes.

"Our study shows the best way to tackle corruption at educational institutes is the inculcation of ethics and honesty," she said.

Rungnapa is a participant in a psychological-security course for school administrators.

Obec adviser Pojaman Pongpai-boon said her office had conducted the course in collaboration with the Applied Psychology Institute.

"We aim to ensure a corruption-free environment at schools," she said. "Also, we seek to inculcate morality in students."

She said executives from 225 schools had attended the psychological-security course in its pivotal phase.

"We expect executives from 3,000 schools to join this course next year," she added.

A report by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) showed as many as 1,387 corruption complaints were related to questionable practice at the Education Ministry between 2000 and 2005.

The Education Ministry ended up in second place - behind the Interior Ministry - when it came to the number of corruption complaints filed with the NACC.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-19

• Like 1

Perhaps they are just following the examples set by our esteemed leaders.

and 294 participants? Give me a break. Is that 0.01% of the total teaching population? It's hardly a representative sample.

"The most common form of wrongful practice is teachers or school administrators spending their work hours on something else, according to the survey"

Does that include spending a bit of our spare time on facebook or other websites of interest? I think most teachers don't spend every minute they are at school on school work.

The education sector has a lot more to worry about, in terms of the quality of teaching, resources, curriculum, and assessment. One only has to look at the enormous sprouting up of tutorial schools to see there is a major problem in the education sector here. No one wants to address the main issues.

• Like 1

"The most common form of wrongful practice is teachers or school administrators spending their work hours on something else, according to the survey."

Kno Chit. I study Ingrich fir twelf yeer ant I thunked teecars dood a goot jab teechink mi.

• Like 1

This Thai study doesn't show receiving payoffs for grades? They mention incidental reasons but deny the true essence of the root of corruption in education in Thailand. Buying seats, grades, and teaching positions.

You are correct. However, one fundamental cause of corruption in the system is that those working in education do not get a decent, living wage and are forced to find additional sources of income. In higher education, that usually takes the form of second or third jobs ( but also some corrupt practices). It goes without saying, it's the same problem for the police and some other public servants

I hear this argument often. Can anyone list facts/figures to substantial this claim? Is this "decent living wage" implied for Thailand or UK/USA/Germany etc.?

I would also beg to differ that the "cause" of corruption is not salary but morality/ethics etc. I marvel also that a country claiming for follow the teachings of Buddha presents itself in a manner contrary to his teachings.

People might start their careers with the highest ethical/ moral standards but not be able to afford to feed their families on a meagre salary. Academics and teachers are poorly paid. A common problem is that academics teach in several universities and/or on industry research projects ( to boost income but in doing so leave precious little time for the students). I don't condone it...simply a reality of life in Thailand.

Singapore had similar issues 40 years ago, as did Hong Kong. Their response / strategy was to pay higher salaries to lessen the chance of corruption. It seems to have worked.

Doing something similar in Thailand?

Corruption is endemic to the country and has been for generations. For all the (legitimate) comment about one family, the reality is this is many, many families ( including those now pointing the finger with a holier than thou tone).

• Like 1

It is a known fact in ALL departments of government. This is not new news, just another add on to fill in pages to answer. Boring now.bah.gifcoffee1.gif

Are there any positives to discuss ??? lets have more lighthearted stuff at this Xmas time. Come on lads give us some cheer. Corruption is FACT--only other discussion re this is when it's stopped.

All news outlets should blast this on the front pages. TVF seems near the only outlet.

I plan to iculcate my inculcation ASAP.

...to cause (something) to be learned by (someone) by repeating it again and again .

Appropriate both for Thai Education (rote method) AND Thai politics too!

Edited by Pawpcorn

Some days ago I was in a public school and had a talk with some 10-11 year old boys.

I ask, among other things, what job occupation they like in the future for themselves.

This was unanimously.

Highway police!!!

Why?

Because they make a lot of money.

I was told that they could make 100.000 Baht in one night.

This has given me much to think about ethics and honesty.

• Like 1

The headline should read, 'Graft widespread among anyone who can get access to it'.

How can you inculcate marality in young people, and expect it to stick, in the midst of widespread corruption of morals nationwide?

Every society's youth is it's future and when the education system, that controls most of a young persons waking hours and formative years, is corrupt, what chance is there that the child will grow up averse to corruption?

If you have money your child go's on to the next level, as the next level approaches then the more money your parents have dictates what higher level your child next achieves and on and on the cycle go's....

The children have children and do the same for their children, can you blame people for what they actually believe is the norm in Thailand, if you are well heeled and have money to do so then the cycle keeps repeating itself..???

If you can't teach your children that this kind of behavior is wrong, then sadly things will never change....

Edited by MB1
  • Like 2

Some days ago I was in a public school and had a talk with some 10-11 year old boys.
I ask, among other things, what job occupation they like in the future for themselves.
This was unanimously.
Highway police!!!
Why?
Because they make a lot of money.
I was told that they could make 100.000 Baht in one night.
This has given me much to think about ethics and honesty.

Only private school kids would have family money to buy themselves into the force.

"The most common form of wrongful practice is teachers or school administrators spending their work hours on something else, according to the survey'

If they stop asking teachers and staff to work weekends and some evenings this will not be the case. Some teachers at my school start 6 am in the morning..and the last one will leave around 7pm. They have regular meetings at 17h00 on a Friday afternoon and at least one Saturday and Sunday a month. What do they expect?

This Thai study doesn't show receiving payoffs for grades? They mention incidental reasons but deny the true essence of the root of corruption in education in Thailand. Buying seats, grades, and teaching positions.

You are correct. However, one fundamental cause of corruption in the system is that those working in education do not get a decent, living wage and are forced to find additional sources of income. In higher education, that usually takes the form of second or third jobs ( but also some corrupt practices). It goes without saying, it's the same problem for the police and some other public servants

I am aware the wages appear low but then again have you ever given thought to "people living above their means" this does not mean people should go without but if you can not afford to eat or shop at high priced establishments then DON'T.

I think it called "keeping up with the Jones's" - a simple example - cars everyone has a new one they appear reluctant to use the cheaper means of transport so readily available - prefer to go into debt with no thought of how they will aquire the monthly ฿ to pay to the lender hence 30% repossesion rate of cars with no system of recording a "bad credit risk" just move to next lender and aquire another car or house etc etc.giggle.gifw00t.gif

I am aware the wages appear low but then again have you ever given thought to "people living above their means" this does not mean people should go without but if you can not afford to eat or shop at high priced establishments then DON'T.

I think it called "keeping up with the Jones's" - a simple example - cars everyone has a new one they appear reluctant to use the cheaper means of transport so readily available - prefer to go into debt with no thought of how they will aquire the monthly ฿ to pay to the lender hence 30% repossesion rate of cars with no system of recording a "bad credit risk" just move to next lender and aquire another car or house etc etc.giggle.gifw00t.gif

People say the Thai's are thick, people say the Thai's are slow, but their fast learning and catching up on the ways oif the western world, even the poor rice farmers are learning the ways of easy credit....

Lets hope they learn the ways of bankrupcy pretty quick as I see it as an endemic in Thailand in not so long the distant future...facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

This should be no surprise at all as graft and corruption are an ingrained part of this society. The education system in this country is indeed merit based and that is the" merit" of the parents to ensure the kids get the required grades. Having learned this valuable lesson they wander off into adult life with the certainty that everything can be bought and so the cancer perpetuates.

• Like 2

I like the phrase "lack of ethical leaders." How can you have ethical leaders in a country where the concepts of ethics, morals and principles are unknown? The only concepts people understand here are money and power.

Give us a break Tom. Get out of those Sukhumvit bars and restaurants occassionally and see for yourself. There are plenty of people with morals, ethics and principles - you just don't see them because the limelight is being hogged by the greedy.

However, you do win first prize for the best racial stereotype of the year. Congratulations.