Work Permit And Visa Renewal

I read an article from Sunbelt Asia at another forum.

Here it was stated that as a "consultant" you only need 1 Thai employee to extend your 1 year visa and work permit. It was stated that there are 10 areas including "consultant" that only need 1 Thai employee...normally you need to employ 4 Thais to qualify for a 1 year visa!

PLease...can someone confirm this? Maybe Sunbelt?

Thanks! :o

Here it was stated that as a "consultant" you only need 1 Thai employee to extend your 1 year visa and work permit. It was stated that there are 10 areas including "consultant" that only need 1 Thai employee...normally you need to employ 4 Thais to qualify for a 1 year visa!

Correct as reported several months ago here.

Extension of stay based on Companies Objective being a Consultant

By the way, please PM me, the name of the other forum. Thanks

www.lawyer.th.com

I am not sure about other sectors but the only type of company I know for sure that this rule does not apply is a school (language school etc.), provided that the school is licenced by the Thai Ministry of Education; well its must be licenced by the MoE, otherwise it's illegal too.

But honestly, how could we manage the company with only 1 Thai employee?

Who will do the accounting, the cleaning, maybe reception work etc?

It was the easiest part and also very reasonable to find those employees when setting up the company.

Edited by mike2006

But honestly, how could we manage the company with only 1 Thai employee?

Who will do the accounting, the cleaning, maybe reception work etc?

It was the easiest part and also very reasonable to find those employees when setting up the company.

A number of firms do qualify, ones that are agents for mfgs, Internet consultants, etc. They have a service office or just a Executive Desk which takes care of the receptionist, cleaning needs. They contribute to the Thai economy but simply have no need for 4 Thai employees and the Thai government should be applauded for understanding this by allowing them an extension of stay based on business, even though they are a small business.

www.lawyer.th.com

Thanks Sunbelt :o

But... I talked to the immigration and gave them a print out of this new rule...and even my WP clearly states that I am working as a consultant they still required 4 Thai employees to renew my visa....seems not all the immigration offices are aware of this new rule???

Therefore is there a place where I can download the Thai version of this rule?? Would probably help me to extend my visa with only 1 Thai employee!

Sorry I don't remember where I saw this topic first time...but this forum was also sponsored by Sunbelt Asia!

Thanks again :D

Edited by barrelhead

:o My wife just called the Immigration in Bangkok...they told her that this new rule with 1 Thai employee per 1 farang work permit is only for Banks and Newspaper Journalists??? But also she was told that this rule applies for International Brokers to set up a branch in Thailand??? :D

Is there a place on the net where my wife can go and check this new law?

But for others it would be a good idea to get a verification from Sunbelt!

English translation of the jpg.

The appropriate ratio between full time Thai employees and foreign employees is 4 Thais per 1 foreigner for extension of stay based on business. However these following ten businesses are permitted to have the different ratio of Thai and foreign employees. The first to the ninth businesses are allowed to have 1 foreign employee per 1 fulltime Thai employee, and the tenth business shall not have less than 20 Thai employees who are paid on a daily basis.

These 10 businesses consist of:

1. International Trading (Representative Office)

2. Regional Office

3. Transnational Company (Branch Office)

4. Brokerage – Agent Business

5. Advisory/ Consultant Business

6. Affiliate / Subsidiary

7. Joint Venture Business

8. Juristic Person that is operating its business by using the specific proficiency or masterfulness.

9. The Regional Operation Office

10. The Juristic person that has 20 Thai daily wage paid (part time)employees

www.lawyer.th.com

The company's objective?

But it seems that 4 Thai employees are still required unless you are working with banking or journalism or is a branch of an international brokerage business??

As for me I have a small business and visa consultant business and don't need more than 1 Thai employee to run the business. But the immigration still require 4 Thai employees...so this "new rule" seems to be "hot air" with no value!? :o

The company's objective?

But it seems that 4 Thai employees are still required unless you are working with banking or journalism or is a branch of an international brokerage business??

As for me I have a small business and visa consultant business and don't need more than 1 Thai employee to run the business. But the immigration still require 4 Thai employees...so this "new rule" seems to be "hot air" with no value!? :o

We have a number of clients that have companies whose objective is “Consultant" and have gotten the extension of stay based on business with just 1 Thai employee. If this is what your companies’ objective is, I guarantee you will get an extension of stay based on business.

If your companies objective is “Consultant on visas" If you have no other main objective for the company, you only need 1 Thai employee for the long term extension. However as an example, you also have “retail shop" or " restaurant" as the objective than this simply won't work. It has to be ONLY “consultant” or “advisor.”

Sorry to hear about the roadblock, but this does happen and why we have thousands of clients who have worked with our professional firm, to get results they couldn’t on their own.

You seem cynical this will work with 1 Thai employee so here is the deal. Our legal staff will take your case, no professional fee till you see the one year stamp in your passport. That’s how positive you legally will get the extension of stay based on business. You will not get it the first time we apply; it will be a 30 day “Under consideration" stamp but the second, third or 4th time review you will be approved for the one year.

Consultant is #5 on the list of exemptions for the 4 Thai employee requirement. This is from a page of the Immigrations book they faxed to us. It does not say that you are exempt if you are in "banking" or "journalism"

Looking forward to helping you.

www.lawyer.th.com

...............the one year stamp in your passport. That’s how positive you legally will get the extension of stay based on business. You will not get it the first time we apply; it will be a 30 day “Under consideration" stamp but the second, third or 4th time review you will be approved for the one year.

www.lawyer.th.com

can you let me know what sort of cost is involved in your company organising this?

thanks a lot

My WP says "Business Consultant"...so I am disqualified already? Or do I just change my WP?

Sunbelt....Do you have an office in Phuket? Your offer seems quite good...how much is the price for a 1 year visa though? :o

Business Consultant is good but it is the objective of your company (not just your position with the company) If that says Business Consultant as well, you are golden.

We have a office in Phuket Town at the Royal Phuket City Hotel Floor 1 Office #154 However we have not found a good legal staff in Phuket yet, so our Bangkok lawyers fly there to help clients.

Two of our lawyers will be in Phuket this coming Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday.

The initial application is 6,500 Baht for the extension of stay. Each additional result hearing(30 day consideration) would be 1,600 Baht. This would apply for the extension of the work permit. The second year for our client, the professional fee would be 3,900 Baht for the initial application. Government fees are 1,900 for the visa. 850 Baht for each extension on the work permit and 3,100 for the year approval.

I'll PM you the tel # so you can contact them on Wednesday.

Smartecosse: Our firm would be happy to help you. The professional fees above would apply as well

www.lawyer.th.com

My WP says "Business Consultant"...so I am disqualified already? Or do I just change my WP?

Sunbelt....Do you have an office in Phuket? Your offer seems quite good...how much is the price for a 1 year visa though? :o

Business Consultant is good but it is the objective of your company (not just your position with the company) If that says Business Consultant as well, you are golden.

We have a office in Phuket Town at the Royal Phuket City Hotel Floor 1 Office #154 However we have not found a good legal staff in Phuket yet, so our Bangkok lawyers fly there to help clients.

Two of our lawyers will be in Phuket this coming Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday.

The initial application is 6,500 Baht for the extension of stay. Each additional result hearing(30 day consideration) would be 1,600 Baht. This would apply for the extension of the work permit. The second year for our client, the professional fee would be 3,900 Baht for the initial application. Government fees are 1,900 for the visa. 850 Baht for each extension on the work permit and 3,100 for the year approval.

I'll PM you the tel # so you can contact them on Wednesday.

Smartecosse: Our firm would be happy to help you. The professional fees above would apply as well

www.lawyer.th.com

thanks, being a bit slow though ....... can u explanin this a bit more

6500 fees to yourselves (what happens if no visa at end of it?)

1600 every 30 days hearing (is this govt or yourselves?)

850 every 30 days for the extension of wp

1900 for the visa ( cost for application or only when you get it?)

3100 work permit (as above...)

thanks a lot

danny

6500 fees to yourselves (what happens if no visa at end of it?

If they accept the application then it will be approved. It just takes time. As long as you go through the 30 day considerations, you will be approved. If not, we would refund our professional fees on this case even though we did our work. Immigration won't accept the paperwork unless you meet the criteria. Hence if this is hot air on this law, they won't accept the application in the first place.

1600 every 30 days hearing (is this govt or yourselves?)

To us. This is 1,600 Baht at the Labor Dept and 1,600 at the Immigration.

850 every 30 days for the extension of wp

yes

1900 for the visa ( cost for application or only when you get it?)

They charge this on the application.

3100 work permit (as above...)

yes.

www.lawyer.th.com