Do you and your friends visit each other's home for a coffee?

dotpoom

Thais generally don't invite friends to their home. Family and neighbours only.

Most foreigners live in condos, not enough space.

I don't actually like foreigners in my home, it's a Thai only area.

I also don't want their (former) hooker wives or gfs in my home

Thais generally don't invite friends to their home is some kind of BS. If your lady doesn't invite her friends over - you might look for a common denominator. Have som tam lao and they will come.

You aren't Thai.

In another life-time in the "Land Down Under" my friends and I would always have dinner parties or BBQs on the weekends and everyone would do the rounds on a regular basis.

When I first lived in CNX several years ago, it was similar, then we moved back to Oz and the round of home-socializing continued, but when we came back to live here, things changed a bit. We still have a large comfortable house, a couple of full sized kitchens, dining room and alfresco area but maybe because we and our friends are getting that "little bit older," we are less inclined to want to cook for dinner parties etc., and so it is now simpler to just meet in town for coffee.

I still miss having a gaggle of friends around, although my wife and I do agree that "cleaning up" after big functions has become a pain in the backside. Interestingly though, our teenage daughter recently staged her First "Girl's Luncheon" which she cooked for and her school mates all helped with the clean-up, so maybe this is the start of "phase-two" of the "Dinner-Go-Round".

Likewise. In Oz friends just dropped by for a beer and a chat. It didn't have to be organised, although the weekend BBQ was common. But in Thailand very different. My wife and I live in the country, on a few acres, next to her parents. Our house is large, comfortable and looks like a 'farlang' house. We used to have quite a few parties, mainly for thai friends, who are generally not poor. But I usually paid, until my wife told them it was Oz custom to bring something. I didn't mind who came, if they were interesting people that we wanted to invite - then they came. But after a few years I too realised that even good Thai friends hardly ever invited us to their houses. My wife says that they don't do this because our house is bigger than theirs, and they think they have to 'keep up with the Jones's' so to speak. As much as that annoys me, I think she's right as jealousy at whatever level, is so rampant here.

But my wife also doesn't really understand the concept 'friends just dropping in' unless there's about 10 of them. She still prefers a party. The few farlang I know still come and go, but not so many Thais now. Maybe it's just another example of the 'keeping face' thing. On the other hand, if their is a local wedding, or a monking, everyone goes and there are tables for 2,000 people in the middle of the rice fields. The 200 baht per head donation goes to the family, and if you have a son or daughter, 20 years later its your turn and the money goes to you.

I guess some aspects of the culture I still don't understand.

My twin brother only lives 2 minutes on my bike, and we are forever in each others house for Tea, or a beer, and when my wife is in Bkk, i go there for dinner. My brother's Wife lived in England with him for 20 years, so she can do Falang food or Thai, with a little Falang twist to it. By the way, we all live here in Thailand now.

We (me and Bro) go round to our friends house to watch Premier league footie, and more beer...win/win.

Thais generally don't invite friends to their home is some kind of BS. If your lady doesn't invite her friends over - you might look for a common denominator. Have som tam lao and they will come.

You aren't Thai.

I,m not Thai but married to one for over 20 years, both overseas and Thailand. Friends will come and eat and eat some more and eat again. Home.

Most of the houses around where I am are very vulnerable to theft. Like you could just pop the door open.

In the West I could invite people in and figure things were safe when I locked up. Not here, I don't even know if the police would respond. Law enforcement does not even seem to be a deterent factor, though robbery I think is relatively rare (not sure why).

So I'm very careful to hide valuables like laptops, phone etc if anyone is around. That means I have to know them well first. Especially with all the money issues people have over here, I'm just not that comfortable with visitors wandering around. Sitting out in the yard is fine.

Another negative is that people here are very transitory, here one day gone the next, you never know what you are getting, people can just leave the country in a whim. Many also seem to have some sort of money issues, always prying or asking about income, what do you do? how long are you staying? and such questions and not able to just chill and relax like people I have met in Puerto Vallarta or other vacation spots.

Hospitality as welcoming all visitors is a must in my culture. Or rather it was. Somehow I have noticed that too many of my 'friends' tend to ride a one way street. Meaning that at my place they are offered the best of everything without reciprocation. I am only comparing equal means! After I applied the reciprocity rule the number of visits from some such friends have petered to next to nil.

Now I have less visits and less friends, but those that stayed treat me just as well and as generously as I treat them.

Hope this answers the OP question. Wander how many people experienced similar attitudes.

Note: no bars, no restaurant visits, no special occasions are included in these cases - just casual visits.

Yes ABCer,

Something similar to my case except none stayed. Just want to meet in a restaurant when they want to chat.

Hospitality as welcoming all visitors is a must in my culture. Or rather it was. Somehow I have noticed that too many of my 'friends' tend to ride a one way street. Meaning that at my place they are offered the best of everything without reciprocation. I am only comparing equal means! After I applied the reciprocity rule the number of visits from some such friends have petered to next to nil.

Now I have less visits and less friends, but those that stayed treat me just as well and as generously as I treat them.

Hope this answers the OP question. Wander how many people experienced similar attitudes.

Note: no bars, no restaurant visits, no special occasions are included in these cases - just casual visits.

you must be a Filipino

I don't like people coming to my home not even family.

I recently started a People who Hate peoples club but having a hard time getting meetings started up.

You would be a great member. Interested?

Yes I can't come on the following dates.................................................................

• Like 1

You aren't Thai.

I,m not Thai but married to one for over 20 years, both overseas and Thailand. Friends will come and eat and eat some more and eat again. Home.

Number 52 do you believe in masturbation?

you seem to be an anker.giggle.gif

My dog was never socialized and as a result acts like she will eat people who walk close to my gated home. If anyone wants to come over they have to call first so I can lock up the dog. I think this cuts down on visitors. My dog is an American Dingo/ Carolina dog.

What is an American dingo,after all it's an aussie word.

I recently started a People who Hate peoples club but having a hard time getting meetings started up.

Sounds perfect for me, but I hate clubs more than I hate people.

Could we change the name to 'The People who Hate People, Clubs, and the People who join them, Club'?

We could start with something that appeals to everyone first, like a 'self-loathing for idiots' workshop. That should get people's interest.

• Like 2

I always meet my friends in a restaurant/pub and after getting really drunk, we often end up going to look at some naked women dancing.

Guess my girlfriend prefers I keep the friends and naked women out of our house.

I thought I was the only one who felt like this. In my circle of friends back home we are always popping round to each other's houses for a drink and a chat, often unannounced. This has been something we've done since teenagers. In my circle of friends in BKK, it's always a coffee shop meet that usually takes a while to plan. I miss the informal drop ins and just general hanging out with friends at home or at their home.

• Like 1

I don't like coffee as it's a psychotropic drug but often I'll have a friend round for a cuppa.

You're telling me I'm a junkie? Psychotropic drug? Whatever that means, I can't stay away from it, like my four cups a day, and if I don't have four, a fearsome headache sets in.

Maybe you're right.

you must be a Filipino

A very far off the mark guess, DGIE.

As to meeting at restaurants, bars, etc. - no chance, dotpoom.

I do not drink and I eat European home made and cooked food.

By now my Thai wife not only learned to cook but actually prefers it to Thai food.

• Like 1

Visitors should be like weekends - never last longer than 2 days....

We have quite a lot of visitors from both sides of the family and as long as they clear off before it gets too much I have no problem with them - its the bums that piss me off, and they are both Thai and Farang - arrive empty handed, hang on and on , drink and eat you out of house and home and then go without even a thank you.

You see these people everywhere , not just Thailand...

• Like 1

Could we change the name to 'The People who Hate People, Clubs, and the People who join them, Club'?

We could start with something that appeals to everyone first, like a 'self-loathing for idiots' workshop. That should get people's interest.

Hahahahahahaha Even Better!

• Like 1

Yes I can't come on the following dates.................................................................

Perfect! I look forward to not seeing you there! LOL

• Like 1

My dog was never socialized and as a result acts like she will eat people who walk close to my gated home. If anyone wants to come over they have to call first so I can lock up the dog. I think this cuts down on visitors. My dog is an American Dingo/ Carolina dog.

It must be some sort of a "world champion" dog.

It must be some sort of a "world champion" dog.

American Dingo or Carolina dog.

http://www.carolinadogs.com/

Hahahahahahaha Even Better!

I would never join a club that would allow people like me to be members.

• Like 2