Police Extortion

Interesting the OP has still not responded.

Talked to my husband about this, don't worry he's discreet, and he said that he would be very very surprised if this were really coming from the Chief of Police for the island. This is not a lowly position and it seems strange to him that he would jeopardize his job for the few measly baht he could extort from small business owners. He said that the OP had better be absolutely sure that its coming from the real police and not just someone pretending to be police.

Also, he said the OP had best contact the lawyer who did his WP for him.

IF this story is true then both of us feel there must be more to it than the OP has posted. Remember, my husband is a native and is fairly well plugged into not only the local community but also the expat community and he has never heard of anything like this before coming from a legitimate small business owner.

Good post, sbk.

It gets weirder by the day, since he hasn't been online since yesterday (15th, around 10.00AM). I sent him a PM and he answered, but nothing special. I just gave him the advice to 'edit' his 2nd post when he still had time to do so; but he didn't see my PM untill later.

Let's wait and see what happens, since IF it's true...just IF, it would be very serious, wouldn't it? (just read his OP #1 again....).

On the other hand it could very well be (as I mentioned before) that someone else is just 'trying' to extort him by using-and-mentioning the name of the head of Police; in that case it would be serious enough also...

BTW, did he send you a PM (like I adviced him to do?) :o if not...I wonder why not?

In that case we could even think of trolling.... :D

LaoPo

I own a small restaurant on Koh Phangan. The local head of police has threatened to ruin my life unless I pay him a large sum of money for absolutely no reason, every month. I am not breaking the law, I am legal, my staff are legal and I pay my taxes. We are very very worried. Posting this message has taken enough courage. I accept paying reasonable 'tea money' as a part of thai business culture, but this is downright threatening and quite simply extortion. I know he's terrified of getting caught out because he won't come into my place of business for fear of being set up. He sends messengers and cronies. Apparantly, all his staff are in on it too. I know other businesses are being hit with the same demands. This nonsence only started a few months ago. Does anybody have any advice? :o

Thanks

I dont beleive this for one minute, we are not getting the whole truth here, or this guy is being duped by some scamster. I have three buisnesses on this Island, I have never been approached for any bribes or even tea money, Absoloute Bull****

I own a small restaurant on Koh Phangan. The local head of police has threatened to ruin my life unless I pay him a large sum of money for absolutely no reason, every month. I am not breaking the law, I am legal, my staff are legal and I pay my taxes. We are very very worried. Posting this message has taken enough courage. I accept paying reasonable 'tea money' as a part of thai business culture, but this is downright threatening and quite simply extortion. I know he's terrified of getting caught out because he won't come into my place of business for fear of being set up. He sends messengers and cronies. Apparantly, all his staff are in on it too. I know other businesses are being hit with the same demands. This nonsence only started a few months ago. Does anybody have any advice? :D

Thanks

I dont beleive this for one minute, we are not getting the whole truth here, or this guy is being duped by some scamster. I have three buisnesses on this Island, I have never been approached for any bribes or even tea money, Absoloute Bull****

Good to hear Mosquito!

And, as 'sbk' already mentioned (me too) this still stands:

quote from sbk:

""He was on yesterday morning according to his profile:

Last Active Yesterday, 2006-05-15 10:02:58""

So...I wonder what's going on here... :o

A troll after all?

LaoPo

BTW laopo, he never did PM me, so, I guess he wasn't that interested in hearing a solution to this "problem"

I'm with mosquitoman on this one, never heard such a thing, so either he isn't telling us the whole story, or he's being duped by a conman, or perhaps just a sad troll with nothing better to do in his life but smear someone's reputation.