Phuket to Ranong Visa Run by Honda PCX

ja99

Fresh back from a whopping 600+Kms round trip to Ranong via Khao Lak on my trusty Pcx150, thought I'd mention a few aspects on this site in case anyone else is considering it.

The bike was well setup for the trip, recent 5K service (cost 150baht!) and I travelled solo with a minimum load of a few shirts, swimmers, camera, toilet pack etc and not much more.

3 nights away - 1 in Khao Lak on way up, 1 in Ranong and again in Khao Lak on way back. Khao Lak is around 100kms from Phuket Town, Ranong is approx. a further 200kms, hence the need for a stop both ways on a bike this size. I should imagine a 250cc bike or bigger could do the run to Ranong in one go without too much drama but Khao Lak is certainly a nice. relaxed area to check out in any case.

This isn't really a trip for the faint-hearted but more for an experienced rider and it certainly doesn't work out cheaper than doing the mad dash by minivan from Phuket in a day for 1500baht or near enough.

So, what the road conditions now that monsoon season is over? Generally, on the Route 4 on the mainland there isn't much by way of potholes to report although the area either side of the army checkpoint about 80ks south of Ranong is pretty pockmarked from fill-ins. Nothing even came close to throwng the Pcx off it's line, indeed this bike is well up for the job of covering the distance at speeds mainly in the 90-100k/hr area, occasionally nearing 110 with periods down at 80k/hr due to light traffic . bear in mind that fuel consumption goes up substantially at the higher speeds, expect near 34kms/L instead of the usual 43kms/L, at least by my calculations to date. Also, I set off from Khao Lak about 9:45am to Ranong, thus avoiding the minivan convoy which would have been well over an hour in front of me. I was a couple hours ahead of them for the return trip.

There are 2 police checkpoints in addition to the army as mentioned and there was no drama at all to report here. In fact, none of them even bothered to ask for a licence or passport and quickly moved me on. This was a relief as I was half-expecting to make a donation of sorts..

Another option to get from Khao Lak to Ranong and back is to take one of the large buses that stop at the 711 in Biang Niang beach 7-8am and every 2 hrs afterwards, or so I was told by the receptionist at my bungalow. She quoted 140baht each way but her boss said 300baht which seems way too much. I was considering this option but decided to bike it instead. The bus trip takes 4 hours each way.

Once in Ranong, I wound my way north to the Andaman Club Pier which has an encosed craft for the jaunt across to their island and back. Cost is 950baht all-inclusive for this service which took about 1 hour all up, very quick and efficient indeed. You have the option to maybe stay for a bit and pay for lunch tho I opted to head straight back to Ranong. The 950baht does not include lunch but will get your passport stamped, in my case a 3month stamp. I heard some tourists getting only 7 days, better than nothing I guess. it would be a lot cheaper to do the longtail boat crossing from downtown Ranong Pier. Maybe next run I will give that a go.

Only other (obvious) things to mention on the biking side are to keep left as much as possible and remain vigilant! Several times I was confronted with a vehicle coming staight at me, occupying most of the wrong side of the road, thank goodness for the bike lane which proved a suitable refuge. Your have no choice in this, either keep out of the way or that will be the end of your biking days! Also, on the way back I was confronted with the unexpected - 2 buffalos decided to dash acoss the road in front of me, probably 50-60meters distance and I was doing over 90kph which led to a rapid application of the brakes. Again, the Pcx coped perfectly for this.

All in all, a great experience and I finally got to soak up the charm of Khao Lak, almost tempted to move there!

smile.png

• Like 1

I can assure you the PCX is capable of that distance (Phuket-Ranong) in one run, no problem. I did the way from Phuket to Kho Lanta in one easy day, and the ride was a real pleasure. The next longer trip for the scooter will probably be the run around Thailand. I plan to go to Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Petchabun, Nong Khai, back via Mukdahan, Ubon Ratchthani, Klaeng to Phuket, avoiding Bangkok. I calculate about 3 to 4 weeks for the tour, and I am quite confident it will be ok. Essential is a set of YSS shocks, other tyres (I use Pirelli), a 12V-socket for the GPS, and a modified seat without that stupid hump.

Pictures are in this thread -> http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1026

Edited by hkt83100
  • Like 1

I can assure you the PCX is capable of that distance (Phuket-Ranong) in one run, no problem. I did the way from Phuket to Kho Lanta in one easy day, and the ride was a real pleasure. The next longer trip for the scooter will probably be the run around Thailand. I plan to go to Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Petchabun, Nong Khai, back via Mukdahan, Ubon Ratchthani, Klaeng to Phuket, avoiding Bangkok. I calculate about 3 to 4 weeks for the tour, and I am quite confident it will be ok. Essential is a set of YSS shocks, other tyres (I use Pirelli), a 12V-socket for the GPS, and a modified seat without that stupid hump.

I suppose it also depends on the rider's age and condition.. I timed the run from Khao Lak to the Phuket Monument roundabout at 1hr 10mins which isn't a lot extra on the 2hrs 30min approx from Ranong to Khao Lak but a bigger bike would be my personal preference (and I suspect, most others) for a 300km run. I know a guy who has been all over, including Laos on a Honda Wave 100cc but that can't have been too comfortable. Ideally, a HondaCB500 X or possibly F model would do me better for extended trips, meanwhile the Pcx150 is a reliable beast indeed. Btw, I changed the seat to a softer Somjin model which has a scoop instead of a hump to lean back into, better than the hard original. My bike has the Dunlop TT900s fitted and I cant see a reason to change them.

Well done. I wouldn't risk it with the bike I have rented. I don't think it would make it there. That's certainly a mission.

Don't even think about doing this on an older rentalsmile.png A Pcx150 is really the minimum size bike to consider, possibly a newer Wave 125 might be up for it (and use less fuel) but i havent ridden one, so cant really comment further. Someone else may care to tho..

Well done. I wouldn't risk it with the bike I have rented. I don't think it would make it there. That's certainly a mission.

Don't even think about doing this on an older rentalsmile.png A Pcx150 is really the minimum size bike to consider, possibly a newer Wave 125 might be up for it (and use less fuel) but i havent ridden one, so cant really comment further. Someone else may care to tho..

Come on, you make it sound like a travel around the world.Plenty of people go to Khao Lak or return on a bike and that is fine. So with a stop on the way in Khao Lak a trip to Ranong really is no problem.

• Like 1

I have been doing this run regularly for years on big bikes. A bazillion times safer than at the hands of the visa run maniacs, if you know how to ride a bike in Thailand that is.

On the topic of visa runs from Phuket, there is now a FB group in which people can ride share. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402002616711342/

Just curious what bike you have been using of late? I did not see 1 farang on a bike at any time on the Khao Lak-Ranong and return leg.

Come on, you make it sound like a travel around the world.Plenty of people go to Khao Lak or return on a bike and that is fine. So with a stop on the way in Khao Lak a trip to Ranong really is no problem.

Khao Lak on a smaller bike is Ok , but the extra 200k to Ranong is a bit of an ask on a small scooter. Go on argue with that..the agents in Khao Lak said it is too far to ride when I asked.

I did ranong - Phuket in 1 go on my pcx125 ... Worst rain for a long time and took me a full cold, wet day... Roads were flooded and closed later that night as impassable ... It's a nice enough ride but really not a great deal to see on the way ... I just take the car now.

I have done that run twice on bikes. One particular incidents sticks in my mind. At a precise moment of equilibriam in the universe i was driving along and 5 motor vehicles were at the exact moment side by side. I was the only bike that was heading in the most lawful direction and place on the road The trip is not for the faint hearted but it is a beautiful trip

This one does not really qualify for an IronButt award... ~ 400 miles in three days

But, it does sound like a fun ride...and any time spent on a motorcycle is better than in a van or bus.

• Like 1

Ideally, yes stop in kl both ways and a night in ranong and it's a pretty relaxing few days ... Going to be off on another trip mid/end feb if anyone want to join

You shouldn't cop any rain in February..the reason I waited to do this 3mth visa stamp run in December is because the monsoon is technically over for a few months..I am good till mid-March , which counts February out, otherwise it would have been a goer. Great place to stay in Ranong is the Farmhouse for an a/c bungalow, 440 a day!

Sounds like a fun trip.

How was the traffic in general? Did the cars drive in moderate speeds / giving enough space for you?

Traffic was very light both ways, which is just how we like it..one potentially hairy situation was where the bike lane ran out on approach to a culvert and I had one of those large utility vans in front of and behind me - the tosser behind did his best to rear-end me thru the crossing. This is where the bit of extra power of the 150cc came in handy and a bigger bike would obviously have been better to handle the situation. It really is quite dangerous on Thai roads and should never be underestimated.

Last time I did it (the rainy trip) was in June but can hit rain anytime of year Generally the level of idiot drivers falls soon after leaving Phuket, which for me is the worst place I have ridden ...

Agreed on state of Phuket drivers, and also the road from the bridge thru to the airport turnoff could potentially cause you to come unstuck on smaller bikes.

I have been doing this run regularly for years on big bikes. A bazillion times safer than at the hands of the visa run maniacs, if you know how to ride a bike in Thailand that is.

On the topic of visa runs from Phuket, there is now a FB group in which people can ride share. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402002616711342/

Just curious what bike you have been using of late? I did not see 1 farang on a bike at any time on the Khao Lak-Ranong and return leg.

Ninja 650. I usually see a few others too.

Riding your bike to the local 7/11 reduces your life expectancy in Thailand let alone doing long trips. I have only been here a short time and have seen so many accidents. Last week I was riding along and there were 2 Thai's on a bike they suddenly swerved into me. I managed to brake suddenly and avoid them. I stayed behind them. The driver was drunk. They turned left. I followed as this was my route as well. They then left the road and ended up in a bush. Riding long distances in Thailand is impressive due to the amount of Jokers on the roads, anyone who says otherwise probably doesn't even ride a bike.

• Like 1

<snip>

Riding long distances in Thailand is impressive due to the amount of Jokers on the roads, anyone who says otherwise probably doesn't even ride a bike.

Or has vast experience and good training. But even then of course a car will be the safer option.

Edited by stevenl

Thinking of a long trip from Pattaya to the north. Can you please explain exactly what the seat modification was, i know removing the stupid hump, but any think else? Also the saddle bags on the other bike, are they available in Thailand? Would appreciate any advice.

I almost did Phuket to Bangkok in one day on my Nouvo 135cc. Ended up hitting a big pot hole and breaking the spokes. Was a bumpy 60kms into Hua Hin. Fun trip though.

Did you folow the main road? Haven driven that riute quite a few times with the car it does not look very tempting to me as a bikeride.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I almost did Phuket to Bangkok in one day on my Nouvo 135cc. Ended up hitting a big pot hole and breaking the spokes. Was a bumpy 60kms into Hua Hin. Fun trip though.
Did you folow the main road? Haven driven that riute quite a few times with the car it does not look very tempting to me as a bikeride.

Yeah, the Surat Thani way. Usually take a wrong turn or two though along the way. I've done it on a Phantom, 250 Ninja and the Nouvo. The scooter was the most fun I'd say. Usually takes me almost as long to find my way in Bangkok as the whole trip did haha. I once paid a tuk tuk driver to take me to Ramkamhaeng since I was driving in circles for 4 hours. It's a lot easier for me in the car on expressways....

Yeah, the Surat Thani way. Usually take a wrong turn or two though along the way. I've done it on a Phantom, 250 Ninja and the Nouvo. The scooter was the most fun I'd say. Usually takes me almost as long to find my way in Bangkok as the whole trip did haha. I once paid a tuk tuk driver to take me to Ramkamhaeng since I was driving in circles for 4 hours. It's a lot easier for me in the car on expressways....

Yes, I can relate to that. I have done the same in bangkok after taking a wrong turn, my wife in the taxi showing the way, me following in the car.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app