British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

I read some really bad reviews on this beer from McEwans. If you want to try I think Signature is the best of them. But will find out next time . I have stocked up with Wells Waggle dance for the next days.....

If you read the reviews on beeradvocate.com or ratebeer.com, then it will always be a bad score unless it's a super bitter IPA or a 10% "imperial" something. Even some of the nicest British beers receive bad reviews. It's a very very pro US and Belgian crowd.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My New Years drinks list was:

Rogue Juniper IPA

Fuller IPA

Andersen Valley Boont

St Austell Proper Job

My absolute winner, a drink that I am happiest is in Thailand, not looking value for money? Yoho Brewing Yona Yona. I am simply in love with this perfect little can of beer. So well balanced it is scary. If I am going on value for money then it is either Bombardier or Fuller's IPA every time.

That Juniper IPA does need a tasting though! Slowly and warm....it got better as I went down the glass.

Way overpriced!

Villa Supermarkets, the dearest of Thailands Western food stores. Foodland is much better.

To be honest this is barely worth the post. What we are discussing here is the variety of beer available in Thailand and how that representation is growing. If you read the whole thread you'll realise that we will buy good beer, almost entirely, without concern about the price. If Villa stocks it and nobody else does then we'll buy it there. Truthfully now, rather than 1 year ago when I started this thread, the market has changed and TOPS is leading the way for British beer representation in the supermarkets. Foodland, which is my daily shop, only has a few beers of note from Yoho Brewing, Tokyo. They only turned up there over the past few weeks too. Going back 3 years I thought I was getting lucky when Makro had stock of London Pride.

If the names of the beers on here mean nothing to you then you can either learn and enjoy (we'll support you every inch of the way) or start a thread called "You can buy Chang in 7/Eleven".

Cheers

Way overpriced!

Villa Supermarkets, the dearest of Thailands Western food stores. Foodland is much better.

To be honest this is barely worth the post. What we are discussing here is the variety of beer available in Thailand and how that representation is growing. If you read the whole thread you'll realise that we will buy good beer, almost entirely, without concern about the price. If Villa stocks it and nobody else does then we'll buy it there. Truthfully now, rather than 1 year ago when I started this thread, the market has changed and TOPS is leading the way for British beer representation in the supermarkets. Foodland, which is my daily shop, only has a few beers of note from Yoho Brewing, Tokyo. They only turned up there over the past few weeks too. Going back 3 years I thought I was getting lucky when Makro had stock of London Pride.

If the names of the beers on here mean nothing to you then you can either learn and enjoy (we'll support you every inch of the way) or start a thread called "You can buy Chang in 7/Eleven".

Cheers

I'm not interested in beer as I don't drink, but I always eat Western food, and everytime the Villa name crops up, I let everyone know expensive it is compared with other Western stores here, especially FoodLand, Friendship in Pattaya is not too bad either.

(

Way overpriced!

Cheers

I'm not interested in beer as I don't drink, but I always eat Western food, and everytime the Villa name crops up, I let everyone know expensive it is compared with other Western stores here, especially FoodLand, Friendship in Pattaya is not too bad either.

According to our posters on here Friendship is good for some beers too. I am also a foodie and only shop in Villa for the few items that Foodland doesn't have. Somehow Villa's potatoes seem better for roasting and they have parsnips! Beer wise the pricing tends to be more brewery/importer driven but maybe not indicative of it being a good beer or not (don't buy the Wadworth's is a common belief in here).

As a foodie beer pairing is starting to become a reality in Thailand. If you're curious then just ask and we'll try to help.

Edited by draftvader

• 2 weeks later...

Can't be bothered carting stuff back from the shops, get mine from wishbeer, not bad prices considering it's delivered.

You have a point there, but for us outside Bkk, it may be quicker to go to Villa Market to get some. However, I am a frequent user of Wishbeer.com which, by far, has Thailand's best selection of beer and excellent service as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Beers for this weekend:

Friday: Greene King IPA, Morland's Old Golden Hen and Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Saturday: Courage Director (x2), Hook Norton Haymaker, Hook Norton 12 Days and Fuller's London Porter.

Sunday: possible my bottle of the legendary Rouge's Double Chocolate Stout

Lovely week-end. Though on a diet I was taken out last night by some friends to the Landmark for dinner. The only decent thing available in the Atrium was the Hoegaarden. Luckily it was draught and I have to say it was very well maintained and went down a treat.....oh and when they say large they mean LARGE!

• 4 weeks later...

My absolute winner, a drink that I am happiest is in Thailand, not looking value for money? Yoho Brewing Yona Yona. I am simply in love with this perfect little can of beer.

I got around to looking for and asking about Yona Yona at my local Foodland (Sukhumvit Soi 5) in BKK the other day. They didn't have any on the shelf that I could find, and the resident liquor ladies had no clue what I was talking about/asking for.

My absolute winner, a drink that I am happiest is in Thailand, not looking value for money? Yoho Brewing Yona Yona. I am simply in love with this perfect little can of beer.

I got around to looking for and asking about Yona Yona at my local Foodland (Sukhumvit Soi 5) in BKK the other day. They didn't have any on the shelf that I could find, and the resident liquor ladies had no clue what I was talking about/asking for.

Never seen it in Foodland, better luck at either Villa or UFM (suk 33,39 & 49). If lazy hit up Wishbeer...

Never seen it in Foodland, better luck at either Villa or UFM (suk 33,39 & 49). If lazy hit up Wishbeer...

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll give those a try.

I was responding to this post below... where he mentioned some Foodland stocking the Yona beer.

BTW Foodland now stock Yoho Brewing's superb Yona Yona...well worth a sip or 100

I stand corrected, just came back from Foodland (Portochino), where sitting on the top shelf of the beer aisle was none other than Yona's Pale Ale. 155 baht for the pleasure which is cheaper than Hitachino at 200.

Along with the Pale was also the Aooni IPA and Tokyo Black.

These beers arrived today! I bought one and two of each.....and all the Bateman's Vintage Ale I could find.

- Meantime IPA

- Meantime London Porter

- Meantime Coffee Porter

- Meantime Chocolate Porter

- Meantime Yakima Red

- Titanic Iceberg

- Titanic White Star

- Titanic Stout

- Titanic Captain Smith

- Theakston XB

- Theakston Old Peculiar

- Bateman's Victory Ale

- Bateman's Dark Lord

- Bateman's Combined Harvest

- Bateman's XXXB

- Bateman's Mocha

- Bateman's B Bock

- Bateman's Vintage 2013

OK. I have just come back from my 2 local Villas. The main one on Chaeng Wattana does not have them but the one of Pracha Chuen does. Not the complete selection you have highlighted but most. er....didn't spot the 7.4% on the side of the Meantime IPA....that IS mean! 750ml of that should see myself and the wife away with the faeries....I think we'll start with the Bateman's XXXB.

Thanks for the heads-up! Good thread this ;)

Bateman's XXXB = WONDERFUL. I can see why this has one so many awards!
Titanic Captain Smith = Nearly as good. A great beer. I prefer the XXXB but would drink this baby happily all day if needed.

Meantime IPA = Still too scared.

I am still devouring my beers from my Hong Kong trip, but it annoys me that I carried Theakston Old Peculiar and XB all the way from HK just to find it at the Villa Market near my house. Yesterday I had the Meantime Yakina Red, which was sensational! Reminded me of St Austell's Tribute. I also had the Bateman's B Bock beer, which is a British interpretation of a German Bock beer. It was good, but not fantastic.

I have just compiled a list of British Beers that I have seen/purchased here over the past 18 months. It is outstanding actually and this is only going to get better smile.png If anybody knows of anything I have missed then let me know. These have been available from Wishbeer, Villa and Tops.

Bateman's Victory Ale
Bateman's Dark Lord
Bateman's Combined Harvest
Bateman's XXXB
Bateman's Mocha
Bateman's B Bock
Bateman's Vintage 2013

- Villa

Belhaven St Andrew's

Belhaven Robert Burns

- Wishbeer (haven't seen them in a while)

Brewdog Punk IPA
Brewdog Dead Pony Pale Ale
Brewdog 5am Saint
Brewdog Brixton Porter
Brewdog Libertine Black
Brewdog Hardcore IPA
Brewdog Dog B

- Wishbeer and Tops (not all)

Courage Imperial Russian Stout

- Wishbeer and Tops

Fuller's IPA
Fuller's ESB
Fuller's London Pride
Fuller's London Porter
Fuller's Honey Dew
Fuller's Vintage Ale

- Wishbeer and Tops

Greene King Abbot Reserve
Greene King Hen's Tooth
Greene King IPA
Greene King Old Golden Hen
Greene King Ruddles County

- Wishbeer

Hook Norton Hooky Gold
Hook Norton Flagship
Hook Norton Haymaker
Hook Norton Twelve Days
Hook Norton Old Hooky

- Villa

McEwan's Amber
McEwan's Signature
McEwan's IPA

- Wishbeer and Tops

Meantime IPA
Meantime London Porter
Meantime Coffee Porter
Meantime Chocolate Porter
Meantime Yakima Red

- Villa

Sambrooke's Wandle
Sambrooke's Powerhouse Porter
Sambrooke's Junction

- Villa and Tops

Shepherd Neame Bishops Finger
Shepherd Neame Spitfire

- Tops

St Austell's Proper Job
St Austell's Admiral Ale
St Austell's Tribute
St Austell's 1913

- Villa and Tops

Theakston XB
Theakston Old Peculiar

Theakston Hogsheads Bitter

Theakston Masham Glory

- Villa

Titanic Iceberg
Titanic White Star
Titanic Stout
Titanic Captain Smith

- Villa

Wadworth's Bishop's Tipple
Wadworth's Horizon
Wadworth's Henry's IPA
Wadworth's 6X
Wadworth's Swordfish
Wadworth's Beer Kitchen Espresso Stout
Wadworth's Beer Kitchen Wheat Beer
Wadworth's Beer Kitchen Orange Peel

- Villa

Well's Bombardier
Well's Waggle Dance
Well's Burning Gold
Well's IPA
Well's Banana Bread

Wychwood Hobgoblin
Wychwood Scarecrow
Wychwood King Goblin
Wychwood Ginger Bread
Wychwood Imperial Red
Wychwood Black Wych
Wychwood Dr Thirsty
Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold
Wychwood Bah Humbug

Young's Double Chocolate
Young's London Gold
Young's London Special

- Wishbeer, Villa (rarely) and Tops (not all)

82 British Beers in 18 months. For those that can't be bothered to count you could have sampled 1 unique British beer per week for the past 18 months. With most the bottle being 500ml and the average price being around B185 that is £3.70 per pint. I have been drinking British beer at £3.70 per pint in wonderful tropical locations whilst my friends back in Blighty are drinking their beer for the same price huddled around in the cold, damp and dark.

Not such bad value if you look at it like that.

Let's hope that list is at 160 beers by December 2016!!!

On another note a friend told me that his Thai lady friend took him out for a beer in Pinklao the other night. I have only recently got him into American ales and he was stunned to see this little bar carrying Leffe Brun (not my favourite) in large quantities (he didn't see but he thought it might be draft as it was served in LARGE glasses) and a number of American beers (he couldn't remember them all) in the fridge. This is in Pinklao. For me this is important. It represents a leap from Thais being curious about these beers in expat areas like Sukhumvit to them creating demand in more Thai areas. Sure Pinklao has some good money, so is still Thai niche, but this is an important step. The more Thais that drink these beers then the more that they become available and the more competitive the pricing.

It feels like we might be approaching the tipping point here and the demand will leave little option but to review the incredibly restrictive brewing laws in Thailand. Knowing a few of the "home" brewers around I think this will be an excellent addition to the global beer markets.

Young's Double Chocolate

Young's London Gold

Young's London Special

- Wishbeer, Villa (rarely) and Tops (not all)

The Villas around my area of Sukhumvit seem to pretty regularly stock the three Young's bottles you mention above. I haven't had any problem buying those when I've wanted them.

And, it's also worth distinguishing between the regular Tops and the higher end Central Markets or Gourmet Markets (whatever they're called) at places like CentralWorld, Central Chidlom and Emporium in BKK. The latter tend to have a much broader selection including Young's offerings than the run-of-the-mill Tops -- even though they're owned by the same conglomerate.

I rarely find anything new or of interest at the various regular Tops markets around my home.