vacancy rate for cheap hotel/bungalow right now

Hi folks, here in Pattaya it is really really full. Any chance that Ko samoi would still have one of those wonderful cheap

huts I stayed at years ago (500-1000 price range)? I have a one week holiday starting Friday.

Just trying to get a general sense of how busy it is now.

Hi,

sorry I cant really give you any details about availability but in my opinion its not very busy here. Yes, its more then a week ago but it doesnt really feel as packed as the years before. Just have a look at the usual booking websites, I am sure there should be something for you.

May help if you specify where on the island you stayed years ago, as many of the huts has been replaced with resorts, often 4 or 5 star. Samui is peak-season at Xmas-New Year period and some years it may be very difficult to find accommodation if not booked in advance.

It depends on what part of the island you want to stay, (or stayed before) ... yes some places booked up now, but there are many that don't have online booking...

I think in that price range, you mentioned, you won't have a lot of difficulty finding, but perhaps not in Chawang or beach front Lamai... beach front places are starting to fill now, but places off the beach there might be a good chance you won't have to look far... It's a case of picking an area and looking to see what suites! You may just have to do a bit of leg work!

Edited by samuijimmy

May help if you specify where on the island you stayed years ago, as many of the huts has been replaced with resorts, often 4 or 5 star. Samui is peak-season at Xmas-New Year period and some years it may be very difficult to find accommodation if not booked in advance.

All I remember is that it was a beach and within walking distance was a beach of pure whuite sand and in the distanced was the "bar beach" with a long pier (or maybe street), massage joints and stuff. It was a one time visit round 2005 and I think the beach was not too far from the ferry dock.

You can probably guess which one it was.

All I remember is that it was a beach and within walking distance was a beach of pure whuite sand and in the distanced was the "bar beach" with a long pier (or maybe street), massage joints and stuff. It was a one time visit round 2005 and I think the beach was not too far from the ferry dock.

The main ferry docks are in Nathon, there really is no good beach close to there... Raja ferry dock is a bit further south of Nathon, cannot think of any great beach area there, at least within walking distance...

Ban Rak has some docks for Seatran and day tour boats .. as does Maenam for Lomprayah ferry coming from Chumpon and day tour boats... It's really difficult to pin point where you were or want to be or where before! A lot has changed since 2005 although not the ferry docks....

I think Maenam area beach areas can offer you something in your price range... it's about 5 kms long, + - .... west end has rough water at the moment, east end is not so bad~!... at least a week or so ago! The Lomprayah ferry is the west end of Maenam beach..

Some time soon, we hope, it should get back to normal calm waters! wink.png

• Like 1

From your description could well be Lipa Noi, sounth of and close to Nathon, and with Raja car ferry pier in sight. The sea view will include a number of small islands or rocks to the southwest (left).

Can also be Bang Rak, where the smaller passenger only ferries for Koh Phangan and Koh Tao piers; however then you will have the big sister island Koh Phangen in sight.

Both areas you may find bungalows at your price range, but not beachfront at Bang Rak (not sure about Lipa Noi). This time of the year you shall expect 1500 to 2000 baht for a beachfront bungalow, however there may still be some “old fashioned back packer bungalows” – fan and no hot water – for less than 1000 baht. I know of some at Maenam Beach.

The weather is a bit windy and clouded for the past couple of weeks, so hard to say how many people may stay at the island this season, but it seems like less than last Xmas, where almost everything were full; however Chaweng Beach area is as usual extremely crowded in the peak season.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

From your description could well be Lipa Noi, sounth of and close to Nathon, and with Raja car ferry pier in sight. The sea view will include a number of small islands or rocks to the southwest (left).

Can also be Bang Rak, where the smaller passenger only ferries for Koh Phangan and Koh Tao piers; however then you will have the big sister island Koh Phangen in sight.

Both areas you may find bungalows at your price range, but not beachfront at Bang Rak (not sure about Lipa Noi). This time of the year you shall expect 1500 to 2000 baht for a beachfront bungalow, however there may still be some “old fashioned back packer bungalows” – fan and no hot water – for less than 1000 baht. I know of some at Maenam Beach.

The weather is a bit windy and clouded for the past couple of weeks, so hard to say how many people may stay at the island this season, but it seems like less than last Xmas, where almost everything were full; however Chaweng Beach area is as usual extremely crowded in the peak season.

Cheers, I'll have to google Maenam beach. Is motobike rental still 300 / day?

Cheers, I'll have to google Maenam beach. Is motobike rental still 300 / day?

Motor bike should be more like 200 baht a day in Maenam, during high season, automatic 110 or 125 cc ...(depends on bike though! ... a PCX will be a bit more.... )

300 baht sounds more like a Chawang base price! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Just to mention in Lipa Noi, there are some places that come to mind, across the road from the beach, that would be cheaper...than the water front resorts but it's very very quiet area though, but that suites some people!

Try, New Sunrise Villa off Maenam resort road, 50 metres and you are on the beach! I've known several people who have stayed there and enjoyed it .. nice owners (although most are at resorts! ) in your price range too! If full there are several other places to check out in the immediate area.thumbsup.gif

The days of "Charlies Hut" Chawengsmile.png

Ha, ha – Charlie’s Hut is still at Samui – but the owner sold the original plot in Chaweng, probably made a fortune (his wife plays stock market all day) and opened a smaller Charlie’s Hut at the middle of the ‘Big Buddha peninsula’. They love visits from old time customers, I’ve been told from a friend who used to stay at Charlie’s before Samui lost its innocence.