29 killed in Thailand bus accident: police

webfact

Eight pages and 182 replies most saying the same thing,

Perhaps the authorities will get the message,

implement all the necessary regulations, deploy an army of DOT officers, construct weight stations at strategic locations, conduct vehicle inspections, impose heavy fines to those who fail to comply to regulations , remove from circulation all vehicles not passing inspection, and require all farmers and others, to either get new roadworthy vehicles or go out of business, require yearly medical certification for drivers and require those that do not pass to find other work.

It would surely improve the nations highway safety .

I am sure no one would mind paying 1500 bht for a truck load of dirt delivered to their propertywhistling.gif

Talk is cheap, and no place cheaper than at TVFsmile.png

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

65 million people don't live in Texas..

I truly believe the thai gov don't know how to resolve the problem short of removing all motorized vehicles..

It's like giving a two-year a loaded gun and then tell the child don't shoot anyone...

Please stop burning your rice fields...ok that is solved...next problem...

CB

Every bus should have a big sign in front with the personal tel. number of the boss - with the caption: 'call this # if the bus is being driven badly'. Or, in for Thais, it would have to dumbed-down to: Call if danger.

Unfortunately, what will happen is either:

>>> the tel# won't work, or

>>> someone will answer and go "eeh, angk, arai na?" ...and then abruptly hang up, or

>>> it will be a recording, like a tape loop with no resolution, while painful-fidelity crap Thai pop plays in the background.

When was the last time a bus in Thailand was pulled over for speeding, or reckless driving? When was the last time a Bus driver lost his job for those infractions? When was the last time a bus driver was fired for driving poorly, or was fired when a passenger called the bus company to complain about a careless driver? If people would start giving a shi* maybe things would change? If the authorities would start acting, and not just talking, maybe thing would improve? Surely something needs to be done. Thailand is now number three in the world for dangerous road accidents. They seem to be working hard to gain number one status. Not exactly the kind of notoriety one wants to have.

• Like 2

Words fail me. If this happened in NZ it would be considered almost a national disaster and there would be a royal commission established to determine causes.

If there were any discrepancies in the drivers log book, hours spent driving versus the legal allowed hours, vehicle maintenance logs or any other causes that could be attributed to the company or its managers, then manslaughter charges would be made.

In Thailand, it's just same <deleted>, different day.

Words fail me. If this happened in NZ it would be considered almost a national disaster and there would be a royal commission established to determine causes.

It's such the norm here the it's hardly given a glance by those who could control the carnage.

Every bus should have a big sign in front with the personal tel. number of the boss - with the caption: 'call this # if the bus is being driven badly'. Or, in for Thais, it would have to dumbed-down to: Call if danger.

Posting the offending dashcam footage on youtube & drawing attention to it (Keywords) would more likely succeed ('face' an' all that!).

Edited by evadgib

If there were any discrepancies in the drivers log book, hours spent driving versus the legal allowed hours, vehicle maintenance logs or any other causes that could be attributed to the company or its managers, then manslaughter charges would be made.

Just remember this is not NZ. You're comparing a 1st world country with a 5th world country (Thailand)

NZ will have the lowest road toll in 60 years whilst the realm is trying to outdo its self as the most dangerous country on the planet.

Good business for the guys running the funeral businesses and the hospitals.

And they will never learn, 'you can't put brains in a rock'

A fifth world country? How economically illiterate can you be. I think you must have gotten your education in a 5th world country.

Edited by quidnunc

Sombat Tours is one of the few bus companies with a good safety record.

Not anymore... sad.png

NCA is probably the best run and safest bus co in Thailand.

You never see one of their buses end up like this. Perhaps because, among other reasons, they always swap drivers after a couple hours.

Only problem is, they have a limited number of destinations served.

And, not because of NCA but rather other drivers, I'd never take a night bus trip in Thailand anymore...

• Like 2

A lot of people like to label Thailand a third world country...it is rated #58 overall by WHO and designated a dev country...they do some things well but public health safety and environment get very low marks...

Yes, the lack of health & safety is a big worry about living here. I regularly take buses, motorbike taxis and have done a fair bit of driving myself. I have to cross the Rama 4 Road/Sukhumvit Road junction every day which is a nightmare.

But if you live here you have to accept the risks and as long as the benefits outweigh them, it's worth it.

• Like 1

Wow, sounds like New Zealand is a wonderful place to live... maybe we should all move there....couldn't be much colder than CNX at the moment.

Er, did they ever find out what caused that Air New Zealand Flight to crash on a sightseeing flight over Antarctica, Mt Erebus or something?

Er, did they ever find out what caused that Air New Zealand Flight to crash on a sightseeing flight over Antarctica, Mt Erebus or something?

You're going back 34 years here..and yes,of course they found the cause [not too long after] but was initially a cover up by management..

Cause was human error..putting wrong info/and change of plans into computors basically and lack of communication about it to flight crew.

2nd officer was a family friend..sad.png

• Like 1

What bus line was it? My wife's family owns Win Tour which has an excellent safety record. The drivers are well-paid, skilled and always sharp. The big double decker air conditioned Scandia buses run over US $100k each so there's no real economy cutting costs on the employee salaries. The company's reputation is everything and safety is everything.

I agree with the above comment on Sombat Tour. They are really a very good company. I use them a lot.

Likewise are Phet Prasert who run the Mae Sot - Mukdahan route through two mountain ranges using Scania double decker equipment. Personally, I much prefer to travel these particular routes with at least 1000 hairpin mountain turns with a Sombat or Phetprasert driver than try it myself. They know the road and I don't.

99 (The Transport Company) also run a pretty good operation IMO. Normal top speet is never over 90km/h. I've never tried Nakornchai Air but have heard they are good.

Phetprasert changes drivers at their depot in Lom Sak. Long distance 99 buses have a backup driver sleeping in the back row compartment. First class buses have hostesses who sit up front and talk constantly to the driver to keep him awake. Normally their are three people up front, so that's six eyes in all and they do know how dangerous it is.

Of course my first reaction to this tragedy is grief. My second feeling is disbelief that the driver fell asleep. He may have had a heart attack and died at the wheel. These roads are absolutely dangerous. I'd blame the mountainous road conditions in general before engaging in Thai bashing.

I just know I'm going to get flamed for this post and that'll be OK.

NEVER book a bus trip with a tour desk or travel agency. Use the government buses, or Phetprasert, Sombat Tour, Cherdchai, Nakhon Chai Air. They at least try to operate safely, do drug testing, and exchange drivers after XX hours.

The trains weren't running due to repair works and the airlines were full for days ahead so they booked a bus via the hotel tour desk. It took THE driver ten and a half hours to do the journey -- non stop.

I'm sorry to hear about your miserable trip. Unfortunately it's not an uncommon experience with Thai Tour companies.

NEVER book at a hotel tour desk or an agency. Use a reputable company. Unfortunately Sombat Tour is one of them. You would have been much better off with something like Nakhorn Chai Air GOLD, or sadly even Somat Tour.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above comment on Sombat Tour. They are really a very good company. I use them a lot.

Likewise are Phet Prasert who run the Mae Sot - Mukdahan route through two mountain ranges using Scania double decker equipment. Personally, I much prefer to travel these particular routes with at least 1000 hairpin mountain turns with a Sombat or Phetprasert driver than try it myself. They know the road and I don't.

99 (The Transport Company) also run a pretty good operation IMO. Normal top speet is never over 90km/h. I've never tried Nakornchai Air but have heard they are good.

Phetprasert changes drivers at their depot in Lom Sak. Long distance 99 buses have a backup driver sleeping in the back row compartment. First class buses have hostesses who sit up front and talk constantly to the driver to keep him awake. Normally their are three people up front, so that's six eyes in all and they do know how dangerous it is.

Of course my first reaction to this tragedy is grief. My second feeling is disbelief that the driver fell asleep. He may have had a heart attack and died at the wheel. These roads are absolutely dangerous. I'd blame the mountainous road conditions in general before engaging in Thai bashing.

I just know I'm going to get flamed for this post and that'll be OK.

NEVER book a bus trip with a tour desk or travel agency. Use the government buses, or Phetprasert, Sombat Tour, Cherdchai, Nakhon Chai Air. They at least try to operate safely, do drug testing, and exchange drivers after XX hours.

Thanks very much to you and others who have recommended safer bus companies here. It's really appreciated! Avoiding buses/ road travel as some people have suggested isn't really practical when you like to travel and have friends in other provinces, not to mention the visa issue.

You mentioned Phet Prasert stopping at Lom Sak. Do you happen to know if the Udonthani - Chiang Mai route passes through Lom Sak as the KK - Phitsanulok route does? I made that trip last month, and I will have to do it again next month (going to Vientiane). At the time Phet Prasert didn't have any daytime buses. It's rather chilling to think I might have passed the accident area a few weeks before the crash...