Entering Thai 30 day visa exempt then to Laos for dual entry visa

I have been looking over ThaiVisa forums for the past month. Most of my questions have been answered, THANK YOU. First trip to Thailand and am confused if i can fly in Visa exempt (if they still have it by April) then go to Laos for a dual entry visa. The second question is; Can I buy a cheap ticket to Laos by train to show the airlines or a plane ticket to the same??? Both I can buy here (USA) and bring copies with me.

Also do I need to have a Thai address (of the hotel or other) when I fly in?

Please advise this newbie (USA, 59yr old traveled a lot in cen & south AM never SE Asia)

If you come on a visa exempt entry, 30 days on arrival with no visa, you most likely will have to show a ticket exiting Thailand during the 30 days, I don't know if they will accept a train ticket.. You will have to show it to the Airline in the US or they might not let you board your flight. Once you are here, immigration doesn't care. Why don't you just get a triple entry Tourist visa before you leave? That way you won't have to go to an Embassy/consulate in a neighboring country and you won't have any problem boarding your flight.

The TM6, arrival card, asks for an address in Thailand, you can just pick a hotel address if you don't have one.

Edited by wayned

I appreciate those who answered my request. "Wayned" had stated after I got here on a 30 day exempt that immigration does not care". I assume this means I can get a dual entry visa in a neighboring country only being visa exempt? Where I live it is 5 hours to closest embassy (Miami) & don't want to make the trip if I don't have to.

I appreciate those who answered my request. "Wayned" had stated after I got here on a 30 day exempt that immigration does not care". I assume this means I can get a dual entry visa in a neighboring country only being visa exempt? Where I live it is 5 hours to closest embassy (Miami) & don't want to make the trip if I don't have to.

Your first problem may be the airline refusing you boarding in the absence of a visa or a flight ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. A train/bus/donkey ticket will not suffice.

If you succeed in arriving in Thailand you will be given a 30 day visa exempt entry (VEE).

Should you wish to stay longer you must get another 30 day VEE by exiting to another nearby country and returning or by getting a tourist visa from a nearby Thai consulate in another country.

Edited by Sceptict11

You can do a mail in application. Check with the consulate in Miami about doing a mail in application if not then the embassy in DC would be your next choice.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the posts I have decided to go to Miami for a Multi-entry visa, problem d solved. My plan is to end up in Chiang Mi after traveling around a bit

My next question is what is the minimum classes do you ned to take to receive an education visa. I have 10 and 13. And is that 10 classes a semester/quarter, 3 to 4 a quarter surely not 10 at once & do I need to bring my transcripts from the Univ I graduated from

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thanks for the info. I have decided to drive to Miami for a Dual or Multi-Entry Visa. My flight is not until April. I bought a cheap ticket to Laos for my exit. Then I plan on getting another Dual or Multi. I plan on ending up in Chiang Mai for most of my stay. I want to be able to stay for at least a couple years.

If you want to stay for a couple of years, after you find the area where you want to settle, instead of a new tourist visa, you should get a single entry Non-O, over 50 for retirement purposes, and extend that for 1 year at immigration in Thailand. In addition to being over 50 you will have to have at least 800000 baht in a Thai bank in your name OR 65000 baht/month from overseas. You will only have to report your address every 90 days, but If you want to travel out of Thailand during the extension you will have to buy a re-entry permit, 1000 baht, single 3800 baht, multiple. It's the easiest and cheapest way to stay "long time".

Single entry Non-O, 2000 baht, retirement extension, 1900 baht and multiple entry re-entry permit, 3800 baht = 7700 baht for 15 months ( 90 day Non-O + 12 month retirement extension) and you can leave and reeneter as many times that you want.

Good luck!

You could possibly get a multiple entry non-o visa from the consulate in Miami. It would be valid for one year from date of issue and allow you get 90 day entries. You could do an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of any of those entries.

I suggest you not get your visa until a couple of weeks before your planned departure because the validity of any visa starts from date of issue.

From their website, they obviously don't know it so you had better tell them!

"4. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA Purpose of Visit: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for the following purposes: - To perform official duties: (Category “F”) - To conduct business / to work: (Category “B”) - To study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour, to participate in projects or seminar, to attend a conference or training course, to study as a foreign Buddhist monk: (Category “ED”) - To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter: (Category “M”) - To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned: (Category “R”) - To conduct scientific research or training or teaching in research institute: (Category “RS”) - Other activities: (Category “O”) as follows: To stay with the family, perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process. - To stay after retirement for a person who over 50 years old or older: (Category “O-A”) "

• 2 weeks later...

I am over 50 (58) retired on Social Security Disability 2006. I do not meet the requirements for a retirement Visa. My monthly income is short of what is required. I only miss it by a few hundred and I do not have the amount needed to put in a bank in Thailand. Traveled a bunch in Central & South America ( no visa needed for 3 month stay in most of those countries, then you can get as many 3 month stays as you want by leaving the country for 2 days) This will be my first in South East Asia.

However, my core question has not been specifically answered. Can I arrive being 30 day visa exempt then go to another country & get dual or Multi-entry visas?

Please answer YES or NO. Then you can add any additional info I may need. I do have a "dummy" exit ticket to Laos.

I am over 50 (58) retired on Social Security Disability 2006. I do not meet the requirements for a retirement Visa. My monthly income is short of what is required. I only miss it by a few hundred and I do not have the amount needed to put in a bank in Thailand. Traveled a bunch in Central & South America ( no visa needed for 3 month stay in most of those countries, then you can get as many 3 month stays as you want by leaving the country for 2 days) This will be my first in South East Asia.

However, my core question has not been specifically answered. Can I arrive being 30 day visa exempt then go to another country & get dual or Multi-entry visas?

Please answer YES or NO. Then you can add any additional info I may need. I do have a "dummy" exit ticket to Laos.

The answer you seek is yes ! However you will find it very difficult to secure any form of "multi -entry" visa unless married to a Thai.

Why not just apply for a tourist visa before leaving home and save some hassle ?

Thanks for the speedy reply. The closest Thai Embassy is Miami a five hour drive. I keep flip flopping about going to Miami. But I would not have the extra expense of gas if I came in visa exempt.

I Usually come to Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt. with a Ticket returning to the US 30 days later, When I buy the ticket I always check what the ticket change policy is for that airline,

While in Thailand If I want to stay longer I simply call the airline, and change my ticket to a later day, There is usually a fee ($50-200) depending on the airline, plus the difference on the price of the new return ticket if any. Then a ride to Laos for an reentry extension,. I do that because I am too lazy to get a visa and since I am still working, Money is not an issue.

So if the costs associated are not too much for you, (I understand you are on a limited budget) then that might be an option for you.

Other options as others suggested is of course to drive to Miami, If you have a 5 hr drive you must be somewhere near Daytona. a boring drive, down I 95.

Did you look in to applying by mail ? I was reading the Thai embassy website and it seems you can do that.Why don't you give them a call

this is a link that describes how to apply for tourist visa by mail.

http://dc.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Tourist.aspx