2014 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Rooo

Another Maenam recommendation... I had heard a few mention, but not been, until this evening... it's been there about 3 months.

Roman Restaurant and Bar, just close to Soi 4 across from 7-11. so easy parking on the corner of Soi 4 (except Thursdays with the Walking street)

Great food, it says Turkish, on the sign, but probably more Mediterranean...(?) With a few Thai dishes... Friendly service and nice atmosphere and reasonable prices thumbsup.gif

On Wednesday evenings they do a Buffet, for 350 baht... Reservations required (recommended) as it's quite popular.... Phone 77 310521

Definitely on the short list of going again! wink.png

Only down side is the traffic noise!

I did try this in the Food forum but did not get one reply so will try here, sorry for repeating myself.

anyways, Been many times but myself and partner always tend to end up eating same food i eat back home, got nice 3 weeks on the islands coming up and im determined to eat more local food.

I love fish but in the past when i have tried to be adventurous and ordered fish it lands on my plate exactly that - a whole fish - have to admit i dont enjoy that ...

So my question is simply are there any dishes/fish that would come meat only/filleted or if when i ordered would they take the head off and remove bones?

or is it just the Thai way of things it comes as a whole fish and thats that ?

apologies if you think its a silly post but just need a little guidence

thanks a lot

You simply have to tell them that you want it fileted with the meat only.

Most Thai dishes will serve the fish whole, since the head is actually considered a delicacy and some would say is the best part of the fish.

(Personally, I'd like to have the eyes if you don't mind...)

But most restaurant should be able to serve you only the fileted meat if you explicitly requests so.

Some restaurant may not understand "filet", so just tell them in simple English, "no head" and "no bone" and they should understand what you mean.

perfect, thank you :)

Does anybody know olive greek restaurant in Chaweng?is it good?

This is one of my favourite restaurants in Chaweng with very good genuine Greek food. I've eaten there many times with equally good food and service.
Only downside is that cheap horrible house wine they have. If I'm with friends we'll go get a bottle from the hotel opposite the restaurant wink.png

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app Edited by PoorSucker
Fixed quote
  • Like 1

Here is a short description of a fraction of the places we visited during this vacation and could recommend.

Babus hot indian in Maenam

Found it with the directions from SamuiJimmy :) and it was nice and tasty food.

Next time we have to try some of their things which has more sauce/gravy in them, because what we ordered didn't came with any, but was still tasty.

Bikini bar BBQ in Lamai .

Best ribs i have had so far on the island during our 5 vacations.

Perfectly smoked and seasoned.

Yummy.

Duomo Chaweng.

Still makes a great pizza.

Gringos Chaweng.

Always goes there when we want some nice Fajitas and chicken nachos.

The japanese restaurant in tesco lotus chaweng.

Good japanese food and very authentic.

Especially enjoyed their tori karaage which is chicken marinated in Soy sauce, garlic,ginger and coated in potato starch and deep fried.

The thai restaurant to the left of pee soon opposite Samui natien resort Chaweng.

Sorry but can't recall it's name and don't have my memory cards with pictures at me atm.

Really nice, cheap and very tasty thaifood.

and now a totally crazy recommendation for some really junk food after a good nights drinking :)

The burger joint near Iyaya clock tower/ red drink bus in chaweng.

Nothing fancy and really can't call them burgers by standard, but they did the trick and actually were quite tasty, but it guess there will be some people disaggreeing with me on that one.

Overpriced though.

Also visited an indian restaurant in an small alley on chaweng main road which maded some really tasty lamb korma, but can't remember it's name.

Restaurant small and nothing fancy, food very good, but not thaifood cheap.

I remember it was on the left side when walking from north to south and it had a chalkboard out on the chaweng street where it said free wifi.

Next time i try to remember to take a shot of the restaurants and the food i eat so it's easier to locate again and to see what is served.

Now i just have to try and convince my girlfriend and see if we can afford to come back in July :D

• Like 2

Another Maenam recommendation... I had heard a few mention, but not been, until this evening... it's been there about 3 months.

Roman Restaurant and Bar, just close to Soi 4 across from 7-11. so easy parking on the corner of Soi 4 (except Thursdays with the Walking street)

Great food, it says Turkish, on the sign, but probably more Mediterranean...(?) With a few Thai dishes... Friendly service and nice atmosphere and reasonable prices thumbsup.gif

On Wednesday evenings they do a Buffet, for 350 baht... Reservations required (recommended) as it's quite popular.... Phone 77 310521

Definitely on the short list of going again! wink.png

Only down side is the traffic noise!

Just an update....on Romans in Maenam, now slower season seems to be coming, it is no longer necessary to make reservations for the Wednesday evening Buffet .... although it seems to get busy after 8 pm getting there early should be OK... tried this twice now... the choices vary week to week...and very good ... also service seems above normal... for the area... thumbsup.gif

For those on the run, they do a Take out menu too.... thumbsup.gif

They will be closing on Sunday though. ..... So no Turkey dinner on Sundays! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Nice ambiance in side!

IMG_4028.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy

Avoid the places with the ice pla and gung on them. You select your items and they take them for cooking. They then use what was not sold the night before and your none the wiser.

Loads of them on beach road. This is from a reliable source. An Thai shop owner living in Chaweng for over 15 years.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mainly interested in Almond Milk but also Hazelnut milk or lactose free cow's milk.

Has anybody spotted any of these anywhere? If so please share the location in what store and where exactly in the store smile.png

I've already looked in Makro, Tesco and Tops Market in Central with no luck. I know I could also easily make my own Almond Milk but I haven't been able to find any large quantities of plain almonds either! (they are either salted, roasted or coated with something) and I would also need a cheese cloth for straining.

Thank you for any tips!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for those of you that want a culinary experience, in a great location - with probably the best service on the island - try Treetops at the Anantara in North Chaweng.

http://lawana-chaweng.anantara.com/dining.aspx

Went there with some friends as a birthday treat from wifey - excellent. We could not fault the food, the setting nor the service. All first class.

It was a bit over the top with the 'salt guru' and the 'which knife would you like to use sir!' as they show you a box of different knives for the meat course, but I can see that the tourists would find it quaint. (To be fair - I did buy a wee pot of the 'smoked salt for lamb' to try on my next BBQ!).

But watch out - it is not for the 'sitting on the 7/11 steps drinking a large Chang' brigade. Take a bucketful of dosh - but well worth the experience now and again.

• Like 2

Just come back from a few afternoon drinks at The Jungle Club, in the hills above Chaweng.

Not sure if anyone has posted about this place before but the views are simply breath taking. Pictures wouldn't do it justice.

Average priced drinks, we had a couple of small dishes which were a little over priced but it's a fantastic place to chill for an afternnon or evening.

Steep hill climb to get up to it, sign posted, right turn off the ring road a little past the Vana Belle hotel, Chaweng Noi heading south.

• Like 1

Just come back from a few afternoon drinks at The Jungle Club, in the hills above Chaweng.

Not sure if anyone has posted about this place before but the views are simply breath taking. Pictures wouldn't do it justice.

Average priced drinks, we had a couple of small dishes which were a little over priced but it's a fantastic place to chill for an afternnon or evening.

Steep hill climb to get up to it, sign posted, right turn off the ring road a little past the Vana Belle hotel, Chaweng Noi heading south.

Well found. It is one of our favourite 'chill out' places. Sadly we are often too busy to chill out.

The drive up is not for the faint hearted, but if you call them they wil pick you up from the bottom of the hill.

Stunning views and decent food (for a bit more money - but then again, they have to go and get everything and cart it up that hill!)

Take your swimmers (but not in high season).

A great place to impress visitors.

Kind of ashamed its taken far too many trips to only find it now :)

Have been eating at Tumzaab Restaurant a lot this trip, for the first time as well and loving the food there.

On the ring road after the lights near Tesco Lotus heading south on your left.

5 dishes + rice with a large beer, coconut drink and a water for under 1000 baht.

Just can't get remotely close to that kind of value back in Oz, and the quality is fantastic.

• Like 1

Have been eating at Tumzaab Restaurant a lot this trip, for the first time as well and loving the food there.

Ive often found the staff to be very rude in there.

Maybe we got lucky as we didn't have any issues. We tend to eat late and most times it's been rather quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Jungle Club has a nice view and fine for a drink but it's a lot of nonsense. Orders wrong (drink and food), bill wrong (many extra items charged and wrong change). Lots of excuses and they even told us we couldn't sit at the table they sat us on and wanted my party of 10 to move in the middle of our appetizers. We were chill so no problems but at their high prices I don't to be hassled all night. Food was sub-par, tasteless, small portions and not even close to menu descriptions. Boooo!

Jungle Club has a nice view and fine for a drink but it's a lot of nonsense. Orders wrong (drink and food), bill wrong (many extra items charged and wrong change). Lots of excuses and they even told us we couldn't sit at the table they sat us on and wanted my party of 10 to move in the middle of our appetizers. We were chill so no problems but at their high prices I don't to be hassled all night. Food was sub-par, tasteless, small portions and not even close to menu descriptions. Boooo!

So on the whole, fairly decent.

Junglechef at the jungle club?

Sorry for your bad experience but i have to say this is the first negative response to the Jungle Club i have either read or heard, and i would still recommend friends visiting to spend a half day there.

• Like 2