2014 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Rooo

Are there any "affordable"restaurants on the beach in Chaweng?Preferable Thai food.Also happy on Thai food restaurant recommendations around Chaweng.

Thnx a lot

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The best place I know in Chaweng for Thai food is the Ninja Crepes restaurant. Even though the prices have gone up the past years it's still affordable. http://www.tripadvisor.se/Restaurant_Review-g676072-d1815587-Reviews-Ninja_Crepes-Chaweng_Koh_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html

This is not on the beach however.

Affordable beach dining in Chaweng I think "no have" ;)

There are a few excellent places where mostly we native Thais eat and not those farang places.

One recommendation is the "Ranong" restaurant between the red light and Tesco Chaweng. Excellent Thai food and very reasonable prices. Place is packed most of the time.

And of course, you have the "Sabiang Le" which is a Samui must eat for any Thai who's visiting here. Prices will be a bit upscale, but well worth the money. They also have a branch in Chaweng, near the same red light junction mentioned above. In the little road beside the small bridge and family mart.

To be honest, I haven't been impressed with any of those Thai restaurants on the beach road strip. Most are overpriced and it seems they tend to make the food a bit milder & bland more suited towards farang tastes.

Edited by Mole

Hi mole!yeah that is was i was looking for!is the ranong on the same side as tesco?do they have a sign?few years ago i tried food at laem din market.was quit good and not expensive too.khaosan and ninja i know but i think these are more tourist/farang places.thnx a lot to all!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Northern Lake Road, where the giant crab hangs, a bit further after the newly build market and restaurants, opp. the 7/11 is a good, small Thai restaurant, a bit further same side, bigger and very bright also 100% authentic Thai food and Thai mood and there are others too.

Yes, Ranong is same side as Tesco. They open a bit later in the evening. I think after 6PM. You can't miss it. The place is always packed with mostly Thais but also farangs.

I don't really eat at those BBQ buffet places. But 1 place in particular, I've seen there's always people eating all the time.

It's located on the ring road nearly top of the hill at Chaweng Noi. If we use Bangok Hospital as reference point, you go towards Chaweng Noi - Lamai. It's not actually that far from the hospital, 500m or so, same side. It's just beside Ohm Motorcycle. There should be some girlie bars beside the BBQ place. You can't miss it either because you'll see lots of people eating. This place I also think open after 6PM.

Yes, Ranong is same side as Tesco. They open a bit later in the evening. I think after 6PM. You can't miss it. The place is always packed with mostly Thais but also farangs.

I don't really eat at those BBQ buffet places. But 1 place in particular, I've seen there's always people eating all the time.

It's located on the ring road nearly top of the hill at Chaweng Noi. If we use Bangok Hospital as reference point, you go towards Chaweng Noi - Lamai. It's not actually that far from the hospital, 500m or so, same side. It's just beside Ohm Motorcycle. There should be some girlie bars beside the BBQ place. You can't miss it either because you'll see lots of people eating. This place I also think open after 6PM.

Only BBQ me and Mrs use. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I ordered espresso and this is what they gave me less than 1 minute later. Looks and tasted like some coffee they've been brewing since this morning.

When the waiter put this huge cup on my table, I was like "Is this your espresso?". The waiter was like, yeah, espresso, cappuccino, frappuccino...

I was speechless, took a couple of zips, paid and left.

In hindsight, I should have complained and refuse to pay. But this won't happen again since I'm never gonne go there ever again.

90bt! I can get much better and cheaper coffee anywhere else.

post-17753-0-73555200-1388556600_thumb.j

Edited by Mole

DVD Players

THB 399 each between the computer section & bakery @ Tesco Chaweng. There were just over 70 when seen this afternoon.

Kit Kats

Packs of 3 x 4 finger bars @THB 57 in Aisle 7. They're around THB 28 each when sold alone.

HTH

My favorite coffee station. The owner happens to be from Chiang Dao, the same place I was born. She says she gets the coffee beans from the same source as Amazon coffee franchise. Beans grown in Thailand.

That looks more like a double espresso. Certainly keeps me going till late. There's also complementary green tea, also from Thai leaves.

It's in front of Tesco express, Petchbuncha boxing stadium.

post-17753-0-94073400-1388830406_thumb.j post-17753-0-27070500-1388830433_thumb.j post-17753-0-37642900-1388830470_thumb.j post-17753-0-89799200-1388830508_thumb.j post-17753-0-36398500-1388830547_thumb.j post-17753-0-15634100-1388830589_thumb.j post-17753-0-83079200-1388830617_thumb.j

• Like 2

I'm just a frequent visitor and have just returned from 3 weeks visiting the GF, we ate thai pretty much every day and night and the best (by her opinion) was a little place on the soi just behind Le Murraya Hotel in Chaweng (I think it runs of Laeem Din). Can't remember the name but it's in a small undercover section that you can ride a scooter through and has food stalls at the opposite end.

2 of us ate lunch, about 4 or 5 dishes of which she ordered all and every one was fantastic.

Toal for 2 was about 500 baht.

• Like 2

We have just tried the Lebanese restaurant at the Prana Resort in Bangrak.

Excellent. Really good food at not a bad price for a resort.

Great location with views over the bay at Bangrak. Live music (good) - singing Frank Sinatra and other similar style songs.

Not for Foodstall foodies, but very good if you want something a bit different. We will be back.

Thank you to whoever it was that mentioned it on the 2013 TV thread.

• Like 1

We have just tried the Lebanese restaurant at the Prana Resort in Bangrak.

Excellent. Really good food at not a bad price for a resort.

Great location with views over the bay at Bangrak. Live music (good) - singing Frank Sinatra and other similar style songs.

Not for Foodstall foodies, but very good if you want something a bit different. We will be back.

Thank you to whoever it was that mentioned it on the 2013 TV thread.

That was me Tropicalevo, I'm glad to hear my recommendation worked out for you. I've been there twice now and both times the food was excellent, well prepared, original to Lebanese cuisine and served without long waiting times. I will be back for sure!

• Like 1

Good news & bad news re proper T bags:

(GN): Tetleys & PG Tips are currently in the 'Foreign imports' sect @ Big C.

(BN): The former are in 10's @ THB 81 (ten t bags!) in a box no bigger than a Rubik cube; the latter are in 40's @ THB 215.

With the number of likely users here at any one time i'm amazed that 250's aren't stocked on a 5-6 meter frontage on a regular basis. The total available for purchase today took barely a foot of shelf-space & would barely stock a caravan for a weekend in Skeggie!

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

(BN): The former are in 10's @ THB 81 (ten t bags!) in a box no bigger than a Rubik cube; the latter are in 40's @ THB 215.

What's the price of 40 yellow label these days?

I used to bring over 2 boxes of 240 PG every year but I couldn't get used to the milk in Thailand so stopped drinking tea altogether.

• Like 1

Heinz Baked Beans

THB 59 a can @ Big C in the "Foreign food" aisle near the fruit & veg.

Branston Pickle

Opposite the above.

HTH

I couldnt see the Heinz beans. Only Heinz Soups and Heinz Noodles. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Please let me know if you see them next time you're in there?

• Like 1

Fresh from the boats off Nathon on Sunday.

Those are not so big, and goes only at 280bt/kg. Average 50-60g/piece.

post-17753-0-93589900-1388978991_thumb.j

I decided to deep fry some of it. Maybe gonna have tom yum with the rest tonight.

post-17753-0-73934300-1388979270_thumb.j post-17753-0-10892300-1388979293_thumb.j

Edited by Mole

What's the price of 40 yellow label these days?

I used to bring over 2 boxes of 240 PG every year but I couldn't get used to the milk in Thailand so stopped drinking tea altogether.

You're too fussy about your milk ! NMSTD!!! tongue.pngcoffee1.gif

I reckon the best tea here is the loose Tata tea in green bag, from Sri Lanka, Makro usually has... or one of the stalls in Lamden Market! thumbsup.gif

If a change in needed from Thai food, Babu's India Hot restaurant on Maenam resort road, still consistently good with his Indian food...thumbsup.gif

It's just about opposite the new turquoise blue green hotel being built!

Eat in or free Home or hotel delivery... drop by for a delivery menu!

They also rent motor bikes!

IMG_9422.JPG