2014 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Rooo

Couldn't wait....popped open the jar of onions and tried one. Gotta say, fairly pleased with the results. Nice and brown, soft yet crisp and snappy.

Must...have ...more...patience with the eggs!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Arbroath Smokies:)

The new Tops has boil in the bag Japanese imports in their freezer section. They're marked 'Samma Karpayaki' but can clearly be identified as Kippers. I can't remember how much they were but they were worth it!

We went to a new restaurant in Bangrak last night - 'La Cote de Boeuf'. (Well, I have only just found it!)

Very good food - lovely garden atmosphere and not expensive. (I could not see a main that was more than 400 baht.)

We could not fault anything. The food was very tasty and cooked to perfection. Lots of beef on the menu (onglet, tarare, fillet etc). For full menu see

http://www.samui-passion.com/place/La+C%C3%B4te+de+Boeuf+%28restaurant+fran%C3%A7ais+%C3%A0+Bang+Rak%29.php

They also cook pizzas and some pasta dishes.

I will be recommending this one to guests (and we will be going back).

To find the restuarant head down the Ghost Road starting from the 7/11 in Bangrak. Take the first left (just before Blue Diamond Lodge - BDL) towards the temple and La Cote de Boeuf is on the right.

• Like 2

The new Tops has boil in the bag Japanese imports in their freezer section. They're marked 'Samma Karpayaki' but can clearly be identified as Kippers. I can't remember how much they were but they were worth it!

Who are you calling a kipper??

A picture would be good of these....

We went to a new restaurant in Bangrak last night - 'La Cote de Boeuf'. (Well, I have only just found it!)

Very good food - lovely garden atmosphere and not expensive. (I could not see a main that was more than 400 baht.)

We could not fault anything. The food was very tasty and cooked to perfection. Lots of beef on the menu (onglet, tarare, fillet etc). For full menu see

http://www.samui-passion.com/place/La+Côte+de+Boeuf+(restaurant+français+à+Bang+Rak).php

They also cook pizzas and some pasta dishes.

I will be recommending this one to guests (and we will be going back).

To find the restuarant head down the Ghost Road starting from the 7/11 in Bangrak. Take the first left (just before Blue Diamond Lodge - BDL) towards the temple and La Cote de Boeuf is on the right.

Bing translates one item as 'Hot Camembert and his salami'.

Who are you calling a kipper??

A picture would be good of these....

562970_418410394921574_350476349_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Catch of the day in Nathon.

Mantis shrimps & flathead lobster all still alive and kickin.

attachicon.gif20140217_095004.jpg attachicon.gif20140217_095021.jpg attachicon.gif20140217_095104.jpg

Steamed with garlic & butter

attachicon.gif20140217_122919.jpg attachicon.gif20140217_122924.jpg attachicon.gif20140217_123059.jpg

Also, it's horseshoe crab season when they've got eggs.

attachicon.gif20140217_100150.jpg attachicon.gif20140217_105155.jpg attachicon.gif20140217_105315.jpg attachicon.gif20140217_105735.jpg

Thank you for your posting.........................

Are there any "affordable"restaurants on the beach in Chaweng?Preferable Thai food.Also happy on Thai food restaurant recommendations around Chaweng. Thnx a lot Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I once walked the entire stretch of Chaweng beach, from the southern area around Buco, to the Marina area, near the junction of the lake road, and the beach road. I found only one family style restaurant left on the beach. It is called Marina. Now, they have raised their prices too. Now up to around 130 per entree. Food is decent, and portions are on the smaller side. Very hard to find reasonable food on the beach anymore. I think the best remaining spot is Sabeinglae just south of Hinta Hinyai. On the beach, and really excellent food. Good portions, and quite fresh. Nice space. Good service. The seafood specialties are expensive, as is the case anywhere. But, the pad see yuu is only 80 baht with squid. Large portion, and really outstanding. The curries are no more than 100 baht. Large portions and outstanding. Crab fried rice is 100-250 depending on the portion, but it is as good as you will find on the island, and the 250 portion is huge. This is a really great restaurant. The branch in Chaweng is almost as good, but not on the water. Same menu. Different chef. Anyone know of any other spots on the beach, that are excellent and reasonable, would love to hear about it.

Eat Sense on the main beach road, South Chaweng (next to Banana Fan Resort)

Thai, beach side and a touch fancy.

Thank you for your posting.

I agree Eat Sense is very good. But, I think a bit too overpriced, when it comes to portions. If money is not an object, the food is very good, and the space is lovely. But, Sabeinglae near Hinta Hintai has better food, bigger portions, and is half the price. And is right on the beach too. Not as much atmosphere granted, but excellent.

Ice cream.... this place makes it's own... delicious! thumbsup.gif

Located on the walk to Grandfather / Mother Rocks,... The factory some where near Tesco Lamai.... (missed that!)

SAM_2780.JPG

They do a really good job. Probably the only ones who make a fruit sorbet on the island, that is available retail. Very, very expensive though. 360 baht for 650ml. About double what I pay for comparable quality in Los Angeles. More than in New York City. But, if you really want high quality, this place does a good job. Beware of the false statements about sugarless. Like with other companies that play that game, they are using high glucose sugar substitutes such as sucrose, dextrin, etc. But, they do have a few flavors made without added sugar, and they are really good. Highly recommended if value is not an object.

• Like 1

Are there any "affordable"restaurants on the beach in Chaweng?Preferable Thai food.Also happy on Thai food restaurant recommendations around Chaweng. Thnx a lot Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I once walked the entire stretch of Chaweng beach, from the southern area around Buco, to the Marina area, near the junction of the lake road, and the beach road. I found only one family style restaurant left on the beach. It is called Marina. Now, they have raised their prices too. Now up to around 130 per entree. Food is decent, and portions are on the smaller side. Very hard to find reasonable food on the beach anymore. I think the best remaining spot is Sabeinglae just south of Hinta Hinyai. On the beach, and really excellent food. Good portions, and quite fresh. Nice space. Good service. The seafood specialties are expensive, as is the case anywhere. But, the pad see yuu is only 80 baht with squid. Large portion, and really outstanding. The curries are no more than 100 baht. Large portions and outstanding. Crab fried rice is 100-250 depending on the portion, but it is as good as you will find on the island, and the 250 portion is huge. This is a really great restaurant. The branch in Chaweng is almost as good, but not on the water. Same menu. Different chef. Anyone know of any other spots on the beach, that are excellent and reasonable, would love to hear about it.

Relax is on the beach for example, very good and inexpensive. And so is O.P., simple and extremely lovely place. Sabeinglae is completely other category and more expensive.

I was underwhelmed by Sabaenglae I'm afraid....VERY average for the price.

I would encourage you to give it one more try. The trick to eating at Sabeinglae is to order the simple dishes. Yes, if you order the tiger prawns, it is expensive. But, the whole fish is comparable in price to others places, and much better. The pad see yuu (flat noodles with squid) is as good as you will find at the five star hotels, for 80 baht, for a large portion. The fried veggies, massaman curries, etc are priced the same as most budget places, at 80 baht, and 120 baht, but the portions are larger, and the food is tastier. And the location is sublime. If you eat there at odd hours, you can sit right by the beach, and the service is fast. Do not go at 7:30 or 7pm, nor at 1pm. Too busy.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Well Mike....I sat down ravenous with my Thai gf and theblether who has a considerable...ahem...appetite.

We ordered a mix of food and it was the simpler Thai dishes which disappointed the most being rather bland in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with the food but certainly no wow factor.

Put simply we have eaten much better for the not inconsiderable price.

Oh and yes the view is very nice indeed!

Sabiang Le is indeed pricey.

Most dishes are average. The only specialty you always must order is their signature dish "yam sabiang le". The other stuff, so-so. But at least, as far as I know, they're the only place on the island where you'll be able to order live seafood from their tanks. Naturally anything from there will be super expensive.

And of course, they have excellent location by the beach, so it will always impress your guests by bringing them here, and hopefully they wouldn't know much better when it comes to the food...

Being a native Thai, pad sey-iw would probably be one of the last dishes I'd order in a seafood restaurant...

Of course the portion will be huge, it's after all mostly noodle.

Fried rice too, huge portion of course, it consists mostly of rice anyway.

For better seafood, I'd actually rather head to Krua Bang Po on the other side of the island. Good food, more home made feel and not too pricey.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

I would encourage you to give it one more try. The trick to eating at Sabeinglae is to order the simple dishes. Yes, if you order the tiger prawns, it is expensive. But, the whole fish is comparable in price to others places, and much better. The pad see yuu (flat noodles with squid) is as good as you will find at the five star hotels, for 80 baht, for a large portion. The fried veggies, massaman curries, etc are priced the same as most budget places, at 80 baht, and 120 baht, but the portions are larger, and the food is tastier. And the location is sublime. If you eat there at odd hours, you can sit right by the beach, and the service is fast. Do not go at 7:30 or 7pm, nor at 1pm. Too busy.

Spidermike

900m further towards Naton there's a small beach side eatery called Khon Chao Ban Restaurant on the same side of the road just before the sharp left bend. I believe it was previously Bills Beach bar. The food & scenery there is superb, particularly their crab curry. I have no idea re prices <not expensive!>, I simply enjoy the occasional lunch there whenever I happen to be nearby. Their parking area is laid out as per Sabinglae..If you're approaching from the other direction its 100m from Samui Shooting Range on the right.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Spidermike

900m further towards Naton there's a small beach side eatery called Khon Chao Ban Restaurant on the same side of the road just before the sharp left bend. I believe it was previously Bills Beach bar. The food & scenery there is superb, particularly their crab curry. I have no idea re prices <not expensive!>, I simply enjoy the occasional lunch there whenever I happen to be nearby. Their parking area is laid out as per Sabinglae..If you're approaching from the other direction its 100m from Samui Shooting Range on the right.

HTH

Used to eat there quite often but it changed management / owner some three years back and the food went downhill a bit. I have heard for a couple of people that the quality has gone back up but not been there myself. It was and perhaps is a very reasonably prices place to eat and frequented by Thai families out for dinner.