2014 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Rooo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Jungle Club has a nice view and fine for a drink but it's a lot of nonsense. Orders wrong (drink and food), bill wrong (many extra items charged and wrong change). Lots of excuses and they even told us we couldn't sit at the table they sat us on and wanted my party of 10 to move in the middle of our appetizers. We were chill so no problems but at their high prices I don't to be hassled all night. Food was sub-par, tasteless, small portions and not even close to menu descriptions. Boooo!

Sorry for your bad experience but i have to say this is the first negative response to the Jungle Club i have either read or heard, and i would still recommend friends visiting to spend a half day there.

Thanks for you concern but no need to apologize for someone else's mistakes (unless of course your associated with the establishment and then you should state that). Everyone has their own set of expectations and each visit is situational and there for different. I am a retired service industry professional having been the owner/operator (Chef) of restaurants in America and do have high standards but also am realistic of what to expect for what I pay here from living in Thailand for 10 yrs.

On our vacation here we've been eating at Bang Po Seafood often and it's amazing! Took my falang family of 25 there for dinner one night (to get them out of Chaeweng) and everyone said it was their best meal they've had in Thailand and my Thai family keeps asking to go back. They makes a mean pie (pizza) at Samui Frisbee Golf with the added bonus of something for the kids (and me) to do to keep to that's fun and healthy. Also like the Mayalasian pre-prepared restaurant/street food stand across from Soi 1 in Mae Nam. Still looking for other gems if anybody has any suggestions. Don't mind spending money as long as it's worth it.

What you say??

Jungle Club has a nice view and fine for a drink but it's a lot of nonsense. Orders wrong (drink and food), bill wrong (many extra items charged and wrong change). Lots of excuses and they even told us we couldn't sit at the table they sat us on and wanted my party of 10 to move in the middle of our appetizers. We were chill so no problems but at their high prices I don't to be hassled all night. Food was sub-par, tasteless, small portions and not even close to menu descriptions. Boooo!

Sorry for your bad experience but i have to say this is the first negative response to the Jungle Club i have either read or heard, and i would still recommend friends visiting to spend a half day there.

+ 1

It is a bit famous for its slow service (laid back) and higher than average prices (you cannot just pop to the market easliy from there - everything is a major expedition) but the view and the ambiance more than make up for these, as well as the usually cheerful and friendly staff and guests there.

It is always on our list for taking visitors there when they visit Samui

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for you concern but no need to apologize for someone else's mistakes (unless of course your associated with the establishment and then you should state that). Everyone has their own set of expectations and each visit is situational and there for different. I am a retired service industry professional having been the owner/operator (Chef) of restaurants in America and do have high standards but also am realistic of what to expect for what I pay here from living in Thailand for 10 yrs.

On our vacation here we've been eating at Bang Po Seafood often and it's amazing! Took my falang family of 25 there for dinner one night (to get them out of Chaeweng) and everyone said it was their best meal they've had in Thailand and my Thai family keeps asking to go back. They makes a mean pie (pizza) at Samui Frisbee Golf with the added bonus of something for the kids (and me) to do to keep to that's fun and healthy. Also like the Mayalasian pre-prepared restaurant/street food stand across from Soi 1 in Mae Nam. Still looking for other gems if anybody has any suggestions. Don't mind spending money as long as it's worth it.

What you say??

What i say is you make it all sound so personal.

I tried to be polite and i certainly don't need some xxxxx sarcastic reply whether you are a "so called" industry professional or not. When i offer a critique i try to be objective, not personal, subjective.

I stand my my original post and would recommend the Jungle Club as a place to visit, especially as i've always had a good feedback. Funny, the reason i first heard about the place was word of mouth. And if its such a let down, how come its been there so long?thumbsup.gif

Anyway, you've had your say, i've had mine, so lets let others be the judge.

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

On our vacation here we've been eating at Bang Po Seafood often and it's amazing!

I agree with Bang Po Seafood. I'm native Thai and went with my Thai friends from Bangkok and we all agreed it was overall better than Sabian Le.

You can also try my favorite place, it's closer to Nathon.

Opposite the first Family Mart coming from Bang Po.

Sign only in Thai "Bankram"

Small family run business, excellent spoken English.

• Like 1

We did Bang Por Seafood on Thursday for lunch. Clay pot of mussels, plate of stir fried squid, 4 x bbq king size prawns and 5 crabs. 2 small Changs for me and the GF had a water, 1200 baht.

Loved the location, view, sand in the restaurant and when comparing cost to what I would have paid back in Sydney was blown away by the value.

• Like 2

From Jungle Chef, "Also like the Mayalasian pre-prepared restaurant/street food stand across from Soi 1 in Mae Nam" ... not noticed that one... going to have to give it a try! thumbsup.gif

Let's face service can vary... depending a number of things, the worse for some smaller restaurants, is many customers all coming in at the same time...facepalm.gif

What you say??

What i say is you make it all sound so personal.

I tried to be polite and i certainly don't need some xxxxx sarcastic reply whether you are a "so called" industry professional or not. When i offer a critique i try to be objective, not personal, subjective.

I stand my my original post and would recommend the Jungle Club as a place to visit, especially as i've always had a good feedback. Funny, the reason i first heard about the place was word of mouth. And if its such a let down, how come its been there so long?thumbsup.gif

Anyway, you've had your say, i've had mine, so lets let others be the judge.

Though I usually don't get involved in the tit-for-tat hide-behind-your-avatar Thaivisa cat fights I feel like making an exception this time since I've shown nothing but manners while giving my honest opinion and now have been insulted with an euphemism of a vulgarity. Firstly there was no sarcasm nor intention of sarcasm in my post and trying to make it seem that way to protect what seems to be a personal interest in the business will not fool many. As you have not responded to my suggestion that one should mention any vested association with a particular institution and have tried another childish game of trying to blame another for one's own doings, mainly that I have made this personal, is ridiculous. And now you suggest that we've had our say and leave it at that, I'm sure that would suit your agenda!

As for your doubting my professional qualification that is up to you to believe or not. Having attended the world's finest culinary school and cooked in some of the great kitchens as well as been the personal Executive Chef for a world leader I am confident in my knowledge of the food industry. Just from the fact that you don't realize that food is subjective proves that you don't posses an understanding of the restaurant business.

My British family with little understanding of Thai cuisine inquired why the Tom Ka Gai not only was bland but didn't taste like coconut and I explained that it was just canned Carnation with some chemical raised chicken and without even mushrooms or other traditional ingredients resulting in a cheap and unsatiating dish. My BBQ Ribs marinated in the house special marinade with a seafood sauce was four short ribs coated in a cheap store bought tomato based bbq sauce, no value for the money or of any interest to my taste buds. The pasta dishes weren't only void of any salt but any seasoning whatsoever, the Carbonara just like a milk soup (my 9 yr old Thai boys response to "How is it?" was "nothing" (meaning the quality, flavor and enjoyment it got from it)) and the Bolognaise had barely enough sauce to moisten the pasta. For over 2400 bht I (unsarcatically) expect more!

As for the service would you like to be yelled at, after getting your drink order delivered incorrectly, that you should have order from the bartender and not the waiter who came to your table and inquired what you would like to drink because he was new, hence implying it was our fault. And then ordering from the bartender and after 1/2 hr and not getting your drinks only to go to the bar and being told that he wrote it down but forgot to bring them, implying not only that we were going to be charged for them and not get them but probably it was our fault again for expecting them! (ok, a little sarcasm just for fun)

I stand by my original assessment that this place is pure and utter nonsense and will add that your posts are as well. If your not the manger there you could well be!

Edited by junglechef

I seen many types of squash around, but not that one....(here) what's so special about spaghetti squash ? (Thai's tend to call them Pumpkins)

It would also be seasonal... if it were available....

Makro, perhaps .... is it open on KP yet?

Edited by samuijimmy

I seen many types of squash around, but not that one....(here) what's so special about spaghetti squash ? (Thai's tend to call them Pumpkins)

It's a pasta substitute for the paleo/anti-gluten pseudoscience movement who think actual pasta is poisonous. (No, I'm not making this up).

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

It's a pasta substitute for the paleo/anti-gluten pseudoscience movement who think actual pasta is poisonous. (No, I'm not making this up).

There is a lot of pseudoscience from the "wellness" movement but some people are gluten intolerant and some people just have different dietary needs or preferences.

Anyway, to answer what's special about it, when you cut it open and scrape it out you get strings just like spaghetti which can be cooked and used just like spaghetti.

Makro is open on KP so I'll check it out. I'd be surprised if one of these detox/wellness/whole food/organic places that are all over KP didn't serve it.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

Well, the title says it all. Been in Samui for a month now and desperately craving some good Roti with Massaman curry. Sure enough, there are many places doing great Roti, like Khun Lek in Maenam or the guy at the market in Nathon, but they do only Roti with bananas and maybe something with tuna. But no Massaman curry. Khun Lek used to make it, but ever since his daughter is going to university in Chiang Mai he doesn't have enough time so he only sells sweet Rotis.

Went to Khanom last weekend, and there it was easy to find (and delicious). But it's a bit far to travel for dinner. Surely there must be someone in Samui making it, no?

All help appreciated!!

Tough one to answer, Massaman curry really varies at just about every restaurant that makes, or tries to make it.... most do not understand that the potatoes need to be cooked rolleyes.gif The sauce can really vary to being good thumbsup.gif .... to really bad! bah.gif Probably not enough call for a Roti/ massaman combo ?...

I have not seen served with Roti here, but I wonder if some places in the Hau Thanon area, would not be an area to try to find it.... ? Massaman and Roti being more of a Muslim dish....( I think)

Tough one to answer, Massaman curry really varies at just about every restaurant that makes, or tries to make it.... most do not understand that the potatoes need to be cooked rolleyes.gif The sauce can really vary to being good thumbsup.gif .... to really bad! bah.gif Probably not enough call for a Roti/ massaman combo ?...

I have not seen served with Roti here, but I wonder if some places in the Hau Thanon area, would not be an area to try to find it.... ? Massaman and Roti being more of a Muslim dish....( I think)

Well, i seen this roti with masaman in islander menu in chaweng.

May be can give a try or ask Daniel the manager there.

• Like 1

Well - I am told that the best Massaman curry is at Jonathan's in Maenam. It takes a while and is always freshly prepared.

Not a cheap place but a great restaurant. I'll bet that they will arrange roti if you book on advance.

Another great place for massaman is Shambala in Bangrak. Again - it takes longer to cook - wait an extra 15 minutes.

Shambala is a very reasonable price and again, I'll be that she will do roti if you pre book.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/destinations/best-koh-samui-846987

(Up there with the Four Seasons, The W and Zazen!!!!)

Well - I am told that the best Massaman curry is at Jonathan's in Maenam. It takes a while and is always freshly prepared.

Not a cheap place but a great restaurant. I'll bet that they will arrange roti if you book on advance.

Another great place for massaman is Shambala in Bangrak. Again - it takes longer to cook - wait an extra 15 minutes.

Shambala is a very reasonable price and again, I'll be that she will do roti if you pre book.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/destinations/best-koh-samui-846987

(Up there with the Four Seasons, The W and Zazen!!!!)

Never seen Jonathan's in Maenam..... where? wink.png

Taking the extra time means the spuds would be cooked....thumbsup.gif

As for Torrens question in CM, ask on the local forum there!

Yes, Shambala has a fantastic Massaman curry! But I asked about roti, they shrugged their shoulders. There must a restaurant that has this combination (curry+roti) on their menu, no?

Maybe one of the smaller Muslim restaurants? The ones with the starand moon on the sign. BUT WHERE???

Yes, Shambala has a fantastic Massaman curry! But I asked about roti, they shrugged their shoulders. There must a restaurant that has this combination (curry+roti) on their menu, no?

Maybe one of the smaller Muslim restaurants? The ones with the starand moon on the sign. BUT WHERE???

There are a few Muslim restaurants dotted about the island, where you see those flags, or signs saying "Hala"..... but as I suggested Hau Thanon might be your best bet... as it's the largest community...