IF the THB keeps falling, what to invest in?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

more THAI BHT.

...one more dog and a mia noi.

Forget another dog, and make that two mia noi.

Mia noi's are too much trouble. Another dog and a gig. I know I can always get more affection from the dogs than either the wife or gig. Yeah! Maybe two more dogs and no gig.

• Like 1

I keep all my cash off shore, i take in what i think i will need for that time i'm there usually 6 months so i don't really care if the baht goes up or down because it will balance out overall, the interest rate off shore will balance out the shortage in Thailand, if you really have to count every single baht that comes and goes i think you will problems in the future,, start saving and putting something away for a rainy day. Invest in Thailand, it's been told many times that to make a small fortune in Thailand you bring a large fortune to this country, and invest ??? in who's name,, you can't own anything in this country so why bother, YOU ARE NOT IN THE FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES HERE, did you forget where you are?

in the last 8 months thb has gone from 44 to 54 to the GBP.

That's 25%, not a few baht, I think many people are of the opinion that a 25% change is not penny pinching.

Currency changes are usually cyclical. Keeping some in e.g. US, UK, EU, Thailand, Australia or wherever you have a personal interest is a form of hedging - even gold, silver and now bitcoins. If you're clever you can transfer, buy or sell when you see a trend.

Folks, I'll let u know what I do with my money. All u have to do is the opposite and u will make the money

I have just opened an GoalSaver term deposit accounts (minimum AUD $ 95K ) in

the Commonwealth bank of Australia as a non-resident account at 4.01% pa with 10% withholding

tax deduction, and considering all other similar products around, that is the best I could find so far,

Gold is a money resting-place when markets are unstable; World market control the price, and that may go further down when interest for bond and stock holdings raise. From last peak it took some 25 years to regain the loss until early in this recent peak, which now seems to be on its way down. (I would not gamble with gold.)

The SET (stock market) is down due to the political instability so cheap bath currency and an under-priced stock market may be a good option for profit, but not without risk. (This I am doing, but only with “smaller” amounts.)

Real estate is good – in some areas very good – in long term, but difficult to hold as foreigner and not easy get out of – sell – fast.

Just holding Thai bath, eventually in bonds (Fund Book) at some 3%pa; or 3 month fixed accounts. When political stable the bath may well go up again, can be anything from 10 to 25 percent. However the risk is that a coup or whatever may happen as well can cause the Thai bath to fall further.

Always remember: Don’t gamble more than you can afford to loose (with a smile).

'Gold is (always) a resting place when markets are unstable'. A myth plugged by the World Gold council perhaps.

Oh no! A Partial End of the World theory! PS gold totally tanked between 1980 and 2005. Maybe you would like to tell us about the suit you purchased with gold in 1895 and which is the same price today?

'Gold is (always) a resting place when markets are unstable'. A myth plugged by the World Gold council perhaps.

Sheungwan, you seem to have a note of bitterness about gold, and I am fine with that. It doesn't have to be the end of the world, look at Argentina, Angola, Belarus, Brazil, Zaire or any one of 16 other countries which have experienced hyper-inflation over the past 25 years. Perhaps one day I will introduce you to the surgeon who implanted my dad's pacemaker - who is only alive because his family had enough gold to buy their way out of nazi Germany at a time when nobody would take their reichmarks.

Diamonds were also a useful, lightweight store of value, easier to get ripped-off at the point of purchase, but harder to exchange and more difficult for smaller transactions.

... and no, I won't tell you about the suit I purchased in 1895 - because then I would have to tell you about my time machine, and I am not ready to do that yet.

• Like 2

Oh no! A Partial End of the World theory! PS gold totally tanked between 1980 and 2005. Maybe you would like to tell us about the suit you purchased with gold in 1895 and which is the same price today?

Sheungwan, you seem to have a note of bitterness about gold, and I am fine with that. It doesn't have to be the end of the world, look at Argentina, Angola, Belarus, Brazil, Zaire or any one of 16 other countries which have experienced hyper-inflation over the past 25 years. Perhaps one day I will introduce you to the surgeon who implanted my dad's pacemaker - who is only alive because his family had enough gold to buy their way out of nazi Germany at a time when nobody would take their reichmarks.

Diamonds were also a useful, lightweight store of value, easier to get ripped-off at the point of purchase, but harder to exchange and more difficult for smaller transactions.

... and no, I won't tell you about the suit I purchased in 1895 - because then I would have to tell you about my time machine, and I am not ready to do that yet.

Having gremlins inside one's head is rarely a positive background for making financial decisions. During the last year some of those who have benefitted well from the Thai baht's fall have been those holding worthless western fiat currencies and stocks. Gold has been a dead duck notwithstanding old newsreels. On the other hand maybe I should sew some gold coins into my swimming trunks just in case I have to do a runner.

If the Baht keeps falling, I will not need to invest in anything,

I am investing in myself, and the lower THB will make this easier.

So down and down and down and down and down and down it goes,

The more pleased I will be.

When it reaches its nadir, then buy land or real estate.

This should be obvious.

Edited by MrGaoMungGawn

This should be obvious.

sawatdee

you must be thai are you? to buy land.

I've been watching the Baht drop daily for the last few weeks until yesterday's slight increase. Any idea why it should change directions in these troubled times?? According go XE.com, it dropped from 31 Dec 2013 01:30 UTC - 1 Jan 2014 01:32 UTC

USD/THB close:32.69000, low:32.68497, high:32.84978
Edited by jaideeguy

This should be obvious.

sawatdee

Remember Doom and Gloom.

Remember Marc Faber.

He wheeled and dealed in land after the big financial fiasco a few years back.

I don't think he is Thai, though maybe he would like to be.

He does love his ponytail.

I've been watching the Baht drop daily for the last few weeks until yesterday's slight increase. Any idea why it should change directions in these troubled times?? According go XE.com, it dropped from 31 Dec 2013 01:30 UTC - 1 Jan 2014 01:32 UTC

the Baht did not drop but strengthened.

post-35218-0-39203900-1388563049_thumb.j

attachicon.gifTHB.JPG

Yeah Naam, but you know what I meant.

but

Why did it 'strengthen' on yesterday's close?? just a hickup??

attachicon.gifTHB.JPG

but

currency or price movements of any asset on days when 2/3 of the world's trading has halted is not representative. it will take some more days and perhaps next week till we see whether the trend is broken or continues. by the way, some other Asian currencies (e.g. SGD and MYR) show a similar "hickup" vs USD.

• Like 1

Gold is a money resting-place when markets are unstable; World market control the price, and that may go further down when interest for bond and stock holdings raise. From last peak it took some 25 years to regain the loss until early in this recent peak, which now seems to be on its way down. (I would not gamble with gold.)

The SET (stock market) is down due to the political instability so cheap bath currency and an under-priced stock market may be a good option for profit, but not without risk. (This I am doing, but only with “smaller” amounts.)

Real estate is good – in some areas very good – in long term, but difficult to hold as foreigner and not easy get out of – sell – fast.

Just holding Thai bath, eventually in bonds (Fund Book) at some 3%pa; or 3 month fixed accounts. When political stable the bath may well go up again, can be anything from 10 to 25 percent. However the risk is that a coup or whatever may happen as well can cause the Thai bath to fall further.

Always remember: Don’t gamble more than you can afford to loose (with a smile).

However the risk is that a coup or whatever may happen as well can cause the Thai bath to fall further.

fact is that the Baht strengthened considerably vs. major currencies since the 2006 coup.

This should be obvious.

sawatdee

Remember Doom and Gloom.

Remember Marc Faber.

He wheeled and dealed in land after the big financial fiasco a few years back.

I don't think he is Thai, though maybe he would like to be.

He does love his ponytail.

where does it say that Marc Faber wheeled and dealed in land?

I keep all my cash off shore, i take in what i think i will need for that time i'm there usually 6 months so i don't really care if the baht goes up or down because it will balance out overall, the interest rate off shore will balance out the shortage in Thailand, if you really have to count every single baht that comes and goes i think you will problems in the future,, start saving and putting something away for a rainy day. Invest in Thailand, it's been told many times that to make a small fortune in Thailand you bring a large fortune to this country, and invest ??? in who's name,, you can't own anything in this country so why bother, YOU ARE NOT IN THE FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES HERE, did you forget where you are?

Bullshit violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Do you read the Newspaper?

attachicon.gifTHB.JPG

but

currency or price movements of any asset on days when 2/3 of the world's trading has halted is not representative. it will take some more days and perhaps next week till we see whether the trend is broken or continues. by the way, some other Asian currencies (e.g. SGD and MYR) show a similar "hickup" vs USD.

USDSGD has only fluctuated at most about 5% over the last 12 months, certainly affected by the regional weakening and I sold mine in November for HKD.

However the risk is that a coup or whatever may happen as well can cause the Thai bath to fall further.

fact is that the Baht strengthened considerably vs. major currencies since the 2006 coup.

That was 2006. Here are some local newspaper clips from 2014 for your consideration: Thailand, household debt rose to 80% of the countries GDP in 3rd quarter of 2013.

Roubini and Faber see bubbles everwhere : Asia's Bond Bust. According to Standard Chartered the average corporate debt - to - domestic product ratio in Asia excluding Japan was at 97% in 3rd quarter of 2013..

Edited by morrobay

Singapore dollar?

SGD is less of an investment and more of a safety play. No interest on one's SGD savings so one hopes to gain on currency movements. Unlike the HKD which has a tight link to USD, SGD is based on a basket of currencies. Like all regional currencies, the SGD has weakened recently against USD, but nothing much as has THB. If at some stage one makes a decision to hold one's financial assets offshore in either HK or Singapore rather than keep them in Thailand and subsequently chooses Singapore then sitting in SGD and drawing down from that looks a decent decision to me.

• Like 1