Heaven or Hell, How's your Thai life.

canuckamuck

Heaven or Hell - How's your Thai life?  

282 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although I don't live here I can see the attraction,for all the minor annoyances overall it's a pretty good place.

Like oz it has it's good points and bad,the good points in both outweigh the bad,it's how you live that will dictate the mood.

I think I would enjoy Thailand,I have on and off spent a great deal of time here over the years,just don't mess with my coffee and I'm sweet.

I have to say I like most things about Thailand,not everything but it's pretty cool,will not vote as I'm not an expat.

• Like 2

Same as it was anywhere apart from the nice trimmings I get for being posted overseas.

I wake up, give the wife one, take the dog out, do my day's work, get paid and thats it really. Things are way better now I work from home thanks to modern technology, so there's no vile commute to blight my day.

Some days I wake up and when the day is a pippin - not too hot, not too cool, my workload is light, and I get home and the missus is all smiles, the dog comes back when I actually call him, the beer slides down just right, hits the spot nicely, and the collies I'm perving actually smile back,

I feel like I'm the luckiest man alive. Other days, things will rankle me but as I can't do sod all to change the negatives, I don't let them wear me down...though I'll admit there are days so frustrating and annoying, I wish I was heading for the airport...

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 2

I have lived here awhile.

I have become less integrated have more farang friendships now.

I immersed myself in Thailand years ago, when I was young, the novelty of the experience,all thai community..no other farangs so not by choice.

As I have accumulated more wealth I have more choice of where to live..I have consequently lived in areas "less Thai"..I generally like westerners..as I have got older I much prefer the latter..

My opinions haven't changed because of where I live..my opinions have changed because of my life experiences, having children, exposed to the school system, having a business and all that that entails,buying real estate, being scammed, but wouldn't that be the case in any country you move to?

I tend to think we like things we are good at, responding to the benefits we receive from our positive experiences. I have always been good at doing Thailand, even during some of the early phases.

Now it is almost like I have come out the other end of a long tunnel, obviously changed by the experience, but no longer engulfed by or constantly aware of its presence. I am standing in a field, looking up at the sky, free and unencumbered by the expectations of others or the need to coerce others into doing things my way.

Thailand is merely the canvas upon which I place the colors of my choosing, and I choose a bright and colorful pallet, not a dark and dingy one.

I don't have your contentment. Having a child, That responsibility changed every aspect of my life here in Thailand, the practicality of being here, her future and of course when I unfortunately became a single parent all the more acutely. It's just stopped just being about me.

• Like 1

Heaven or hell in a Buddhist country?

Interesting!

Thinking back to my Catholic childhood,

Purgatory comes to mind.

Not quite heaven, not quite hell, somewhere in between.

But I have been paying my dues and expect the future to be better!

Yeah, purgatory is where I am right now!

post-147745-0-43941800-1388464049_thumb.

Did you guess?

I voted 5.

Edited by willyumiii

Heaven or hell in a Buddhist country?

Interesting!

Thinking back to my Catholic childhood,

Purgatory comes to mind.

Not quite heaven, not quite hell, somewhere in between.

But I have been paying my dues and expect the future to be better!

Yeah, purgatory is where I am right now!

post-147745-0-43941800-1388464049_thumb.

After 13 years working here I would say a 6- 7, it was a novelty for first few years, but as the years go on getting more cynical about the place, but then again my intention was never to make Thailand "home" and as I have started many times on TV once the work finishes here I am going home, this is my portion now but if I am still here working when hitting retirement age, I will reassess my position on whether I stay or go, but at this point the intention is to leave

I tend to think we like things we are good at, responding to the benefits we receive from our positive experiences. I have always been good at doing Thailand, even during some of the early phases.
Now it is almost like I have come out the other end of a long tunnel, obviously changed by the experience, but no longer engulfed by or constantly aware of its presence. I am standing in a field, looking up at the sky, free and unencumbered by the expectations of others or the need to coerce others into doing things my way.
Thailand is merely the canvas upon which I place the colors of my choosing, and I choose a bright and colorful pallet, not a dark and dingy one.

An excellent piece of prose VF.

I'm nowhere near as eloquent as you. I just sum it up by saying to all those who declare the glass of life is half empty, "who cares, plenty of room to add more Jack Daniel's".

Did you mention Jack daniels??????......where, when, and what else apart from Ice(water type) do we need???

• Like 2

After ten years here I voted 8 although I was torn between 8 & 9 so figure it's really 8.5 :)

Why 8.5? Because nowhere is perfect and I recognize that 8.5 is probably as good as it's ever going to get anywhere - I suspect if I had to rate the place I came from using the same scale I would, knowing what I know now, give it around 5.

So many of you on this thread are such excellent writers that I scarcely dare to add a small comment. I voted 8. i live in a small village in rural Isaan. Took one point off for the locals' lack of driving ability, and another for the quality of medical care. Saw four different docs in the local hospital, got the same incorrect diagnosis four times. Went a fifth time to a different doc who looked at the previous bloodwork and said "this is all wrong" - gave me one pill/day for four days, done. I went back to thank her, found out she was just a per-diem. Ah well, you can't have everything. And 8/10 suits me just fine.

• Like 2

I voted 5 because there are two extremes here. Some of the best people I know are Thai but it is also an extremely racist place. I do not frequent nor date the same kinds of women that most farang that come to Thailand do. My fiance and her family are extremely good people and she is very beautiful and the kind of girl that Thai guys love. The envy and comments they make to us are extremely rude but we try to ignore them. The more I learn the Thai language, the more I realize how rude so many can actually be. I mostly spend my time with Thai people and do not hang out nor have ever been to the bar girl areas. Not my cup of tea. I came here because I am buddhist, the economic treaty the US has with Thailand giving me some advantages, and the friends I already had here, but I m still treated like a skirt chasing, low moral rourist taht knows nothing about Thailand. The truth is I know more about Thailand than most Thais and my friends from here would tell you the same thing. It can be heaven and hell, both on a daily basis.

• Like 2

I was invited to visit Chiang Mai by friends in the U.S.

After spending 11 years in southern China, I found the differences to be both charming and disappointing.

I've been here a year now and have learned how to avoid areas that may be problematic.

I find Chiang Mai to be delightful. I ride a bicycle, not a motor bike, and have no problems with traffic, parking or many of the things I hear others complain about.

The weather is delightful.

I guess I could think of some things to complain about, import duty for example, but why complain. I'm a guest here, not a citizen.

Yes, I find Thailand, to be pretty much a little piece of heaven. Please don't ask me about Bangkok or any of the islands to the south.

• Like 1