7.5kg of 'ice' inside Khon Kaen woman's shoes

webfact

7.5kg of 'ice' inside woman's shoes
The Nation

30223282-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Khon Kaen woman was arrested by Nong Khai customs officials on Monday evening, allegedly with 7.5 kilograms of crystal meth or "ice" worth Bt30 million on the street.

Punyanuch Saranant, 32, who took a bus from Laos to Nong Khai, was arrested after the "ice" was found - allegedly hidden in 17 platform shoes in a bag she submitted to the X-ray machine at the checkpoint.

The Bangkok-based worker reportedly confessed to having been hired to carry the drugs by a dark-skinned foreigner who befriended her at her church.

Claiming she needed money to support her two children, she said she was hired for Bt80,000 to collect the drugs in China on December 22 before flying back to Laos on Monday to take a bus back.

She was allegedly due to deliver the drug to the hirer in Bangkok.

Nong Khai custom official Assanee Reungboon said this was the fourth case in 2013 of a person being arrested smuggling "ice" in this way.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-01

They should have followed through and got the dark skinned guy, she is just a courier and the guy is the prize catch, very poor policing work I say.

I am sure she would lead them to him in exchange for a lighter sentence.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Yes, that haircut does give it away slightly. Dark skinned and possibly from Nigeria, maybe? I thought the DEA had cleaned Laos up from the days in 2006/7 when it was quickly turning into little Lagos. Stupid girl.

Exactly correct Jeremy, controlled deliveries usually can only be done with cargo or postal items once detection has taken place,secured back in place and where the situation is controlled by Customs. With a cross check of passport stamps and other vital travel documents from all people travelling on that bus, this might have bought further intelligence to follow through on......main pen rai.......the happy BIB or customs get their photo taken with the load! These mules just don't get it, it's like picking apples off a tree.

"A Khon Kaen woman was arrested by Nong Khai customs officials on Monday evening, allegedly with 7.5 kilograms of crystal meth or "ice" worth Bt30 million on the street."

Warning to all smugglers...If you have size 37 feet, do not fill your luggage with size 48 shoes. Even the dumbest customs officials (obviously) can figure out that one.whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

They should have followed through and got the dark skinned guy, she is just a courier and the guy is the prize catch, very poor policing work I say. I am sure she would lead them to him in exchange for a lighter sentence. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you sure the police work was not up to your standard? Ever think that perhaps the media is not told every little detail of their investigation. RTP do not report to Thai Visa, you know.

• Like 1

OP headline says Khon Kaen woman but story says Bangkok. We don't need no stinkin' facts.

She was a Khon Kaen woman but a Bangkok-based worker, not difficult to understand. Open you stinkin' eyes when reading, it helps.

They should have followed through and got the dark skinned guy, she is just a courier and the guy is the prize catch, very poor policing work I say. I am sure she would lead them to him in exchange for a lighter sentence. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What makes you think the dark skinned fella didn't have someone on the bus, knew about it all before the police had even chance to ask her his name and tossed his pay as you go burner phone long before they could even consider a sting? You really think people are just trusted to wander round with 30 million bahts worth of anything?

Time and time again we see the same post after similar drug busts, the why not follow them to Mr big conspiracy theory posts. Quite simply the police know they might as well pee last nights new years whiskey into the wind as chase nothing.

A look at the buses other passengers or other foot passengers crossing at the same time, may prove far more useful. Which I am sure they are onto already.

There is a book called Snowing in Bali, and in that book the smugglers describe using the same tactic.