Plastic laptops, no 12.1" screens and staying with Windows 7 - don't want Windows 8

KhunHeineken

Here's a short and sweet article on continuing XP use and how long antivirus products plan to continue to support XP. Link

Thanks for the link. I have a really old computer running Windows XP. It's a back up computer. I never gave a thought to antivirus companies withdrawing their support as well.

I had another fiddle with Windows 8 the other day. I really just can't warm to it. Many of my friends are the same. It will be interesting how long it stays around for, considering they have already developed downgrade rights.

I know exactly what specs I would like on a new laptop, I just don't want Windows 8 and don't need a touch screen.

I'm hearing good things about the use of Classic Shell, but a Windows 8 update could knock that out at anytime.

I'm holding off the purchase at the moment and looking more into some of the options that other members have suggested.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a short and sweet article on continuing XP use and how long antivirus products plan to continue to support XP. Link

Thanks for the link. I have a really old computer running Windows XP. It's a back up computer. I never gave a thought to antivirus companies withdrawing their support as well.

I had another fiddle with Windows 8 the other day. I really just can't warm to it. Many of my friends are the same. It will be interesting how long it stays around for, considering they have already developed downgrade rights.

I know exactly what specs I would like on a new laptop, I just don't want Windows 8 and don't need a touch screen.

I'm hearing good things about the use of Classic Shell, but a Windows 8 update could knock that out at anytime.

I'm holding off the purchase at the moment and looking more into some of the options that other members have suggested.

I have three laptop computers....a couple months old i7 CPU based Lenovo laptop running Win 8.1....then a 7 year old Pentium Core Duo-based CPU Toshiba laptop running Win 7...and finally a 8 year old Celeron CPU Toshiba laptop running XP Home.

While I never had the privilege of using Win 8.0 as I loaded Win 8.1 from the get-go on the Lenovo, I fine Win 8.1 fast and stable. It's easy to switch/jump back and forth between the Win 8 Metro User Interface (UI) and the old style Desktop UI on Win 8.1. Some things I like about a the Win 8 Metro UI and some things I don't, but I am using it a little more everyday, but most of my time I'm till in he old style Desktop mode. Just because Microsoft comes out with a new UI, the Metro UI, does not mean the tried-and-true Desktop UI is still not good.

I think a lot of the reason Microsoft came up with the Metro UI was to try to get people to use the Microsoft Cloud more and the associated apps...and of course start spending money on Microsoft Cloud-based products....get you addicted to the the Cloud so to say. But for me, I'm in the Local Account log-on mode at least 95% of the time....the other 5% is when I decide to logon onto the Microsoft Cloud and play with it a little. Since I use Google Drive vs SkyDrive and Google Chrome vs MS Internet Explorer (it's my number 2/backup browser now), and Gmail with Outlook being my client email program I really don't have a need to be "connected" to the Cloud all the time; instead I connect when I want and need to. But overall I'm glad I got Win 8.1 for my new computer versus loading Win 7.

For my laptop running XP, I may put Win 7 on it...I could put Vista on it since Vista will be supported by Microsoft till some time in 2017, but Vista left a bad taste in my mouth from years ago. The saddest day of my computering life was when I upgraded to Vista and the happiest day of my computering life was when I upgraded from Vista to Win 7. Vista was just a bad story for the first 6 months or so of its release because many hardware and software manufacturers hadn't produced updated drivers/software yet (and a few never did for some hardware like scanners) due to Microsoft's poor interface/interchange with hardware manufacturers/software developers during he development of Visa. But once the drivers/software caught up, Vista ran OK although a little bulky and slow. I think everyone knows Vista was basically a failure for Microsoft. I refuse to let Vista back into my computer family.

And Win 8.0 did not get off to a good start, but Win 8.1 seems to be doing fine and attempting to overcome the Win 8.0 stigma. Seems more and more new computers are coming with Win 8.1 already installed...no need to get separately. And hopefully Win 8.2's release over the next year or so will make Win 8.1 significantly better and take in account what people liked about the previous UI's used in Win 7/Vista/XP versus trying to force-feed Microsoft's view of the computering world onto the consumer. Nothing wrong in trying to point out a new route, but don't say, "It's my way or the highway."

Edit: Oh yea, regarding a "touch screen," when doing my shopping a few months ago for my new computer I played with some touch screen models and for a few minutes thought it was neat, but I quickly released beyond the significantly higher price of touch screen models, I didn't want to be reaching out all the time toughing my laptop screen to select menus, scroll, open, close, etc...plus it just smudges up the screen and your arm gets tired reaching out all the time. I much, much preferred a large touch pad which allows me just to just one or two fingers with my hand resting on the laptop to accomplish all of my screen activity. Yeap, zero regrets in not buying a touch screen model...now if the touch screen added little to no cost to the computer then sure get it (and someday it will be that way)...but otherwise, I think touch screen use is way overrated for typical, day-to-day computer use.

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...

I have three laptop computers....a couple months old i7 CPU based Lenovo laptop running Win 8.1....then a 7 year old Pentium Core Duo-based CPU Toshiba laptop running Win 7...and finally a 8 year old Celeron CPU Toshiba laptop running XP Home.

While I never had the privilege of using Win 8.0 as I loaded Win 8.1 from the get-go on the Lenovo, I fine Win 8.1 fast and stable. It's easy to switch/jump back and forth between the Win 8 Metro User Interface (UI) and the old style Desktop UI on Win 8.1. Some things I like about a the Win 8 Metro UI and some things I don't, but I am using it a little more everyday, but most of my time I'm till in he old style Desktop mode. Just because Microsoft comes out with a new UI, the Metro UI, does not mean the tried-and-true Desktop UI is still not good.

I think a lot of the reason Microsoft came up with the Metro UI was to try to get people to use the Microsoft Cloud more and the associated apps...and of course start spending money on Microsoft Cloud-based products....get you addicted to the the Cloud so to say. But for me, I'm in the Local Account log-on mode at least 95% of the time....the other 5% is when I decide to logon onto the Microsoft Cloud and play with it a little. Since I use Google Drive vs SkyDrive and Google Chrome vs MS Internet Explorer (it's my number 2/backup browser now), and Gmail with Outlook being my client email program I really don't have a need to be "connected" to the Cloud all the time; instead I connect when I want and need to. But overall I'm glad I got Win 8.1 for my new computer versus loading Win 7.

For my laptop running XP, I may put Win 7 on it...I could put Vista on it since Vista will be supported by Microsoft till some time in 2017, but Vista left a bad taste in my mouth from years ago. The saddest day of my computering life was when I upgraded to Vista and the happiest day of my computering life was when I upgraded from Vista to Win 7. Vista was just a bad story for the first 6 months or so of its release because many hardware and software manufacturers hadn't produced updated drivers/software yet (and a few never did for some hardware like scanners) due to Microsoft's poor interface/interchange with hardware manufacturers/software developers during he development of Visa. But once the drivers/software caught up, Vista ran OK although a little bulky and slow. I think everyone knows Vista was basically a failure for Microsoft. I refuse to let Vista back into my computer family.

And Win 8.0 did not get off to a good start, but Win 8.1 seems to be doing fine and attempting to overcome the Win 8.0 stigma. Seems more and more new computers are coming with Win 8.1 already installed...no need to get separately. And hopefully Win 8.2's release over the next year or so will make Win 8.1 significantly better and take in account what people liked about the previous UI's used in Win 7/Vista/XP versus trying to force-feed Microsoft's view of the computering world onto the consumer. Nothing wrong in trying to point out a new route, but don't say, "It's my way or the highway."

Edit: Oh yea, regarding a "touch screen," when doing my shopping a few months ago for my new computer I played with some touch screen models and for a few minutes thought it was neat, but I quickly released beyond the significantly higher price of touch screen models, I didn't want to be reaching out all the time toughing my laptop screen to select menus, scroll, open, close, etc...plus it just smudges up the screen and your arm gets tired reaching out all the time. I much, much preferred a large touch pad which allows me just to just one or two fingers with my hand resting on the laptop to accomplish all of my screen activity. Yeap, zero regrets in not buying a touch screen model...now if the touch screen added little to no cost to the computer then sure get it (and someday it will be that way)...but otherwise, I think touch screen use is way overrated for typical, day-to-day computer use.

That's an interesting opinion on why you think Microsoft developed Windows 8 the way they did. I thought they were just trying to ride home on the back of the success of tablets/apps and make it more mainstream in the computing world.

I agree with you about Vista. It was a nightmare. I got rid of it as soon as I could. I have a feeling Windows 8 will be similar. As you mention, Windows 8.1 and 8.1 Pro have addressed some issues.

I think I will sit back for a while and observe the evolution of Windows 8. There may be a version not far away that will suit me.

• 1 month later...

Well, I like older Thinkpads like the T-61P = titanium or their 12" models (X-something). Get the maximum RAM and you should have a solid notebook for 10 grand. Source? Ebay USA. The usual stuff like watching videos, doing word processing can be handled by an old CPU with maybe 2.5 Ghz. And I'm a fan of XP - compare the boot times and speed and weep.

Regarding XP, remember Microsoft cuts off support, like for XP automatic updates, on 8 Apr 14. And if using Microsoft Security Essentials for your antivirus software be sure to download it before 8 Apr or you won't be able to for XP anymore (you can for Visa/Win7/Win8 just not XP)....if you already have MSE installed it will continue to work...and MSE virus definition updates will continue for another year I think I read somewhere then that is dead for updates also if running XP. I've still go a Toshiba laptop running a Celeron CPU (its a backup computer) and it takes about 2 minutes to fully boot up on XP...of course other things booting up along with the XP slows the boot down. Also have a Lenovo with an I7 quad core CPU running Win 8.1 and it boots up in 15-20 seconds including all the other stuff booting up along with Win 8.1...and this Lenovo just has a standard 1GB hard drive...not an SSD drive....I'm thinking with a SSD drive it would boot up under 10 seconds.

Just on the topic of Windows XP, there are still many internet cafes and private residences, in Thailand, and other developing nations, running Windows XP. I doubt they would be able to afford to upgade their hardware, and software.

What will become of all of these peple and businesses running Windows XP once support has been ceased my Microsoft? I gather the machines will still run, but will they be unstable and extremely vulnerable to virus attack?

I expect it will remain stable...it's been in service so long hopefully most of the doors for malware to sneak in have been patched long ago....just because update support is terminated doesn't mean the software turns into crap the next day. I expect XP would become slightly more vulnerable to zero-day type malware than Visa/Win7/Win8 but with anti-virus protection I expect that threat would be minimal. Guess, I'll find out as I plan to continue to run XP on my 8 year old Toshiba laptop along with antivirus software.

I read this interesting article today and thought of your post. I had no idea such a high percentage of ATM's run on Windows XP. If most in Australia run on XP, I'm sure most in Thailand would also run on XP.

There's no danger to the card owner of losing money, but if there's a hack on the ATM's, maybe the banks here will turn them off, making everyone go into the branch.

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/doomsday-approaches-for-windows-xp-users-20140319-hvkdg.html

Remember the Year 2000 (Y2K) doomsday predictions regarding computer & digital clocks/equipment? That turned out to be pretty much a Yawn event considering all the gloom & doom/the sky-is-falling hype that preceded it.

Remember the Year 2000 (Y2K) doomsday predictions regarding computer & digital clocks/equipment? That turned out to be pretty much a Yawn event considering all the gloom & doom/the sky-is-falling hype that preceded it.

Because everyone spent a shedload of money rewriting or binning code and replacing hardware in anticipation.

Microsoft blinked once and agreed to extend support in 2009, and I think a lot of corporates thought they would blink again. This time it doesn't look like it.

Because everyone spent a shedload of money rewriting or binning code and replacing hardware in anticipation.

Microsoft blinked once and agreed to extend support in 2009, and I think a lot of corporates thought they would blink again. This time it doesn't look like it.

You are right that some did spend money; but a shedload of folks/companies did not because it was unclear as to if anything bad would really happen...and in most cases nothing bad happened. I still remember setting in a military command center on duty during that time frame to take problem calls on military electronics/avionics equipment which was impacted by Y2K. After a week into this duty and the new year only a few calls had been received and follow-on actions required to fix the issues were very minor, like reload of a particular program or reset of the item. But overall, Y2K was a issue that got hyped way out of poportion just like so many news events we see in the media now days. By the way, when is the next end of the world event...I've lost count.

I don't think the sky will fall down on the 8th April, but I was surprised that a high percentage of ATM's are still running on Windows XP.

I suppose that could be viewed as being a credit to XP's stability.

The article mentioned other companies filling the Microsoft XP void. I wonder if this will only be for big companies, and expensive, or be available to the general public as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to the Windows 8 fiasco.

Microsoft will be reinstating the Start menu. smile.png

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/microsoft-unveils-cortana-digital-assistant-reinstates-start-menu-20140403-zqpya.html

Here's a Microsoft link that shows Windows updates to be released on the next Windows update date which is 8 April in this case...the link also shows past releases. Anyway, you'll see there are various files that includes the Windows 8.1 Update...some are important and some are recommended. Since the 8 Apr release normally occurs U.S. west coast time it will be late 8 Apr or early 9 Apr Thailand time before a person could download/install the updates.

8 Apr 14 is also the end of support/updates for XP...but as you will see in above link no XP updates are included in the 8 Apr release...so, this means the updates released on 11 Mar, which did include some XP updates were the last XP updates.

I don't think the sky will fall down on the 8th April, but I was surprised that a high percentage of ATM's are still running on Windows XP.

I suppose that could be viewed as being a credit to XP's stability.

The article mentioned other companies filling the Microsoft XP void. I wonder if this will only be for big companies, and expensive, or be available to the general public as well.

XP is the Windows favorite for people running virtual machines, mainly because it installs to a much smaller size than Win7. There are some bootable utilities using a stripped-down XP as the front end.

IMO, MS should send XP to open source to let it live on, and become what people want it to be. Don't hold your breath for that one!