Plastic laptops, no 12.1" screens and staying with Windows 7 - don't want Windows 8

KhunHeineken

I am in the market for a new laptop computer.

My old Acer laptop has served me well. I have given it some rough treatment over the years, and sometimes we haven't always seen eye to eye, but if it broke down tomorrow, I really couldn't complain as it's done a lot of hard work. It's made of aluminium and it's strong. The 12.1" is handy for traveling.

The other day, I checked out what is on the market. All the laptops were plasitc and the build quality was rubbish. I grabbed the corner of the screens, and with minimal pressure, the screen distorted.

I then pressed a little harder than ordinary typing on the keyboard and the whole keyboard frame would flex. They were all the same, even the more expensive brands.

Are the laptop manufactures not using aluminium anymore? What laptops on the market would members suggest have better build quality these days? I don't need anything military grade, but I definately need something better than what I saw the other day. Are these plastic computers capable of taking a knock? Weight is not an issue for me. I have no problem buying something as solid as a house brick, if I can find it.

Are were really in the age of disposable laptops? I mean, compared to my old laptop, these new ones will not last the distance.

I also noticed that most of the laptop manufactures do not make 12.1" screens anymore. I confirmed this by looking on the internet. Most of the latest models do not come in a 12.1" version. I liked the 12.1" laptops. The size was just right when you are traveling a lot. Any ideas why they stopped making this size of laptop?

I had a good fiddle around with Windows 8. I am not afraid of change, I just don't like it. Unfortunately, they did not have a downgraded Windows 8 that I could try out. Is the downgraded Windows 8 very similar to Windows 7?

I would like to stick to Windows 7. If I bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and took out the HDD and replaced it with a new HDD and then ran Windows 7 on it, do any members see a problem with that? Would anything in the BIOS need to be adjusted?

Overall, I would have to say I was very disappointed with what is on the market at the moment. The specs are great. i3, i5 and i7 fast processors with a lot of RAM and big HDD's, but they were are all so flimsy. I don't think even a good sleeve or case for them would give them enough protection.

I have now been thinking about sticking with my old laptop for another year and hope something better is on the market in 12 months time.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 words, MacBook Air.

You are not the first to say that. I don't own any Apple devices. I may have to consider making the transition, but I would like to stay with Windows 7 if possible.

Even laptops that are advertised as business laptops have a poor build quality.

One question I didn't put in my OP, can anyone rcommend some sort of hard shell case that I could carry one of these new, and easily broken, laptops in? :)

2 words, MacBook Air.

You are not the first to say that. I don't own any Apple devices. I may have to consider making the transition, but I would like to stay with Windows 7 if possible.

Even laptops that are advertised as business laptops have a poor build quality.

One question I didn't put in my OP, can anyone rcommend some sort of hard shell case that I could carry one of these new, and easily broken, laptops in? :)

You can run Windows on Mac using Parallels or Bootcamp.

There are many aluminum Windows based laptops to choose from. I'm typing this on one now. It's even got a built in numeric keypad which Apple never offers so another reason I refuse to pay for their overpriced hype. Unfortunately you won't find many in Thailand which is flooded with cheap models. Just get one online and have it Fedex'd to your front door. That's what I always do.

There is no such OS as a downgraded Windows 8. The upgraded Windows Blue (8.1) is not very similar to Windows 7. It is a bit easier to use than the original Windows 8 but still has many changes over Win 7 that take a lot of getting used to. There are some inexpensive applications that will restore the Start bottom but if you try run Charms Screen applications in desktop mode,they won't run properly. People have reported problems with Skype for Win 8 and IE for Win 8. As digital banana says, there are lots of good notebooks available online. Sony has just come out with a 13.3" Fliptop that you can use as a notebook or a tablet. ASUS has its Transformer T100 which looks quite good. Its neat feature is that it is a Win 8 machine when connected to the keyboard but when removed from the keyboard it transforms into an Android tablet.

Regarding replacing Win 8 with Win 7, there is no need to remove the HD. Simply format the disk when doing a fresh install of Win 7. FYI, the first thing I do when I buy a new notebook is replace the HD with an SSD. The speed increase is dramatic! Good luck.

Some horrible advice on this thread. smile.png

Yes, you will have to adjust a couple of settings in the BIOS setup to install Windows 7. Also a good idea to extract the Windows 8 key in case you need it later.

As for a solid laptop, look at the Lenovo/IBM machines here

Machines with Windows 8 Professional have downgrade rights.

Consult with me when you are ready to purchase.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu
  • Like 1

Get Sony Vaio Pro 11 if you are after the very best, current cutting edge machine, 11" is super portable device, and can be specked to the max.

It It is so thin, so beautiful, there is nothing else out there to even compare it to.

Or get Pro 13, same machine, but 13"

Both are carbon fiber, super thin, gorgeous machines. Sadly Win8, but you can install 7.

Pro 11 and Pro 13 are replacing Sony previous flagship, the Vaio Z. Fully loaded i7 Z was 70.000 baht in Dec 2011. So both Pro models are priced very reasonably.

There is no competition for those 2 Sonys, nithing even close. Samsung 9 series is nice notebook, next to Pro 11 it looks like ugly brick.

Unless you consider Macbook Air, but why would you! If you like the Alu look, and install Win7 to Air, then that would be an option. I like Al look, I have 17" macbook pro, naturally it runs on Win7.

Both Pro 11 and 13 are starting around 34.000, to match the Air.

http://www.sony.co.th/productcategory/it-pc-series-svp?site=hp_en_TH_i#IT+PC+Series+SVP

Edited by valgehiir

While I am not a big fan of windows, and I do currently run XP and 7, Windows 8 is not all that bad.

I am currently evaluating 8.1. It is very very similar to 7. Some things are better, while other issues are still present, and of course, MS has managed to introduce new issues.

But, to me anyway, the key to windows 8 is to ditch the Metro interface and install Classic Shell (it's free) and windows 8.1 will look and behave much like 7.

Mac Book Air or Mac Book Pro.

I made the change a couple of years ago and never regretted for one day.

My Mac Book Pro travells with me on business every week and never a problem.

Took out the DVD player and added a 1T hard drive so have lots of storage space for all my files

Whats all this rubbish about W8. Just press the Microsoft key and the old desktop pops up just as it was in W7. Why need a start button? Put the programs you use s icons on desktop. For shutdown, Alt & I lead you to it.

The Samsung ATIV 7 series has aluminum cases. I don't think they are listed on the Samsung Thailand website yet but they are in stores...I've seen them at places like IT City, BananaIT, etc. Plus they come with Win 8 installed...no need to buy separately. I was in the market lately for a new laptop and was looking around quite a bit....I ended up buying a Lenovo Z510 (plastic case) 15.6" display with I7 processor but I was tempted by Samsung models because their reliability rating is high and they look really nice IMHO. But when the dust settled I went with the Lenovo due to the price and I7 processor. I bought Win 8.1 separately and installed it. Win 8 takes some getting use to but after you learn how to utilize both the legacy Desktop screen like in Win 7 and the new Start screen in Win 8.1 it works out pretty good...call it the best of both worlds. And Win 8.1 starts up a lot faster than Win 7.

post-55970-0-79421700-1388629527_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Smaller 12" and less screens have pretty much disappeared as tablets have filled that nitch. There are some tablets that try to fill the "Netbook" nitch with detachable keyboards; ASUS for instance and now LENOVO.

The competition with tablets has also driven notebook manufacturers to make new machines as light and thin as possible...thus plastic and carbon fiber replacing metal wherever possible.

Be aware there are 2 very distinct types of Win-8...TOUCH SCREEN and NON-TOUCH SCREEN. I had Win-8 on a NON-T.S. machine and it was awkward and frustrating. I installed "CLASSIC SHELL", a free download that emulates the Win-7 environment and I have found that to be much easier to use.

Heck, with a good touchpad which allows you to do all of your display scrolling/tapping/movement with slight movements of your fingers while your hand lays on the laptop why even use a touchscreen as your arm gets tired constantly reaching out to tap the screen and of course your display gets all smuggled up. During my recent laptop looking and buying decision I played with some touchscreens and came to above mentioned conclusion. And of course, a touchscreen usually ups the laptop's price by a healthy amount. IMO a touchscreen is a great thing for smartphone/tablets, but for a laptop it just adds cost and it may not get used that much...but once more touchscreen models are sold the cost will come down and touchscreens will probably become standard on all to most laptops, whether people use it or not....by when will that occur in the future I can't say....I would guess around 5 years.

Yes, you will have to adjust a couple of settings in the BIOS setup to install Windows 7. Also a good idea to extract the Windows 8 key in case you need it later.

I just assumed the Windows 8 key was on the HDD. Am I wrong? My idea is to keep the Windows 8 HDD for any possible future use, or sale of the laptop.

I have had a look for some laptops online. I can get a fiend to bring one over, so I'm hoping no taxes and customs problems.

What are the BIOS changes you mentioned? I can load up a new Windows OS, but I'm not knowledgeable on the BIOS.

Am I the only one considering this, or has it becaome popular since the release of Windows 8? For those avoiding Windows 8, how are you gettting new hardware but staying with Windows 7?

Get Sony Vaio Pro 11 if you are after the very best, current cutting edge machine, 11" is super portable device, and can be specked to the max.

It It is so thin, so beautiful, there is nothing else out there to even compare it to.

Or get Pro 13, same machine, but 13"

Both are carbon fiber, super thin, gorgeous machines. Sadly Win8, but you can install 7.

Pro 11 and Pro 13 are replacing Sony previous flagship, the Vaio Z. Fully loaded i7 Z was 70.000 baht in Dec 2011. So both Pro models are priced very reasonably.

There is no competition for those 2 Sonys, nithing even close. Samsung 9 series is nice notebook, next to Pro 11 it looks like ugly brick.

Unless you consider Macbook Air, but why would you! If you like the Alu look, and install Win7 to Air, then that would be an option. I like Al look, I have 17" macbook pro, naturally it runs on Win7.

Both Pro 11 and 13 are starting around 34.000, to match the Air.

http://www.sony.co.th/productcategory/it-pc-series-svp?site=hp_en_TH_i#IT+PC+Series+SVP

Thanks. After some advice in another post, I had a look onthe internet.

I'm looking at a Sony Vaio E Series in 14". Not too much bigger than the 12.1". It's got good specs and looks to have a decent build quality. I would like to see and touch one though. I'll compare it the the models you mentioned shortly.

E Series must be an older model, even though it's brand new. They have one with Windows 7 Pro and one with Windows 8. The one with Windows 7 is actually more expensive. :) :)

While I am not a big fan of windows, and I do currently run XP and 7, Windows 8 is not all that bad.

I am currently evaluating 8.1. It is very very similar to 7. Some things are better, while other issues are still present, and of course, MS has managed to introduce new issues.

But, to me anyway, the key to windows 8 is to ditch the Metro interface and install Classic Shell (it's free) and windows 8.1 will look and behave much like 7.

To my knowledge, what I was using the other day was plain Windows 8. They already have Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Pro, which can be rolled back to work with Windows 7 programs.

I got stung with Windows Vista a few years ago and I feel Windows 8 will be the same, just a nightmare. I'd rather not touch it at this stage.

Whats all this rubbish about W8. Just press the Microsoft key and the old desktop pops up just as it was in W7. Why need a start button? Put the programs you use s icons on desktop. For shutdown, Alt & I lead you to it.

I was never shown that. Everything I used the other day looked like my smart phone. It apeared to be all apps based. I might go to the shop again and play a little more. :)

The Samsung ATIV 7 series has aluminum cases. I don't think they are listed on the Samsung Thailand website yet but they are in stores...I've seen them at places like IT City, BananaIT, etc. Plus they come with Win 8 installed...no need to buy separately. I was in the market lately for a new laptop and was looking around quite a bit....I ended up buying a Lenovo Z510 (plastic case) 15.6" display with I7 processor but I was tempted by Samsung models because their reliability rating is high and they look really nice IMHO. But when the dust settled I went with the Lenovo due to the price and I7 processor. I bought Win 8.1 separately and installed it. Win 8 takes some getting use to but after you learn how to utilize both the legacy Desktop screen like in Win 7 and the new Start screen in Win 8.1 it works out pretty good...call it the best of both worlds. And Win 8.1 starts up a lot faster than Win 7.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks. I'll check out the Samsung.

As mentioned in another post, I just have the feeling Windows 8 with be another Windows Vista. I would like to avoid it for a while, if possible.

Smaller 12" and less screens have pretty much disappeared as tablets have filled that nitch. There are some tablets that try to fill the "Netbook" nitch with detachable keyboards; ASUS for instance and now LENOVO.

The competition with tablets has also driven notebook manufacturers to make new machines as light and thin as possible...thus plastic and carbon fiber replacing metal wherever possible.

Be aware there are 2 very distinct types of Win-8...TOUCH SCREEN and NON-TOUCH SCREEN. I had Win-8 on a NON-T.S. machine and it was awkward and frustrating. I installed "CLASSIC SHELL", a free download that emulates the Win-7 environment and I have found that to be much easier to use.

That's what I was playing with the other day. Windows 8 and no touch screen. You had to do a lot of work with the cursor.

I must go back and ask about this classic shell, or maybe google it on the net.

What happens if you put Windows 7 on a touch screen computer? I have heard Windows 7 will respond to a touch screen, but if that's the case, how come I haven't seen this before?

I do like my little 12.1". It's small, but still ok to watch a movie on. Anyway, will look at 13" and 14" laptops now.

Heck, with a good touchpad which allows you to do all of your display scrolling/tapping/movement with slight movements of your fingers while your hand lays on the laptop why even use a touchscreen as your arm gets tired constantly reaching out to tap the screen and of course your display gets all smuggled up. During my recent laptop looking and buying decision I played with some touchscreens and came to above mentioned conclusion. And of course, a touchscreen usually ups the laptop's price by a healthy amount. IMO a touchscreen is a great thing for smartphone/tablets, but for a laptop it just adds cost and it may not get used that much...but once more touchscreen models are sold the cost will come down and touchscreens will probably become standard on all to most laptops, whether people use it or not....by when will that occur in the future I can't say....I would guess around 5 years.

Exactly. Why on earth does a laptop with full keyboard and trackpad, need a touch screen!?

Answer is simple, Microsoft NEEDS to come with new stuff, and MS decded to make same op system for tablets and laptops. Good idea, but why push for win8 laptops to have a touch screen?

So my fav lAptop, Sony Pro 11 has win8, and it has touch screen. Why would I want to touch my laptops displey? There is no need for it whatsoever. I prefer my displey clean, touching the screen w fingers leaves smudges.

Is there anybody, who uses a full keyboard laptop, and has a need to touch the displey?

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I just assumed the Windows 8 key was on the HDD. Am I wrong? My idea is to keep the Windows 8 HDD for any possible future use, or sale of the laptop.

I have had a look for some laptops online. I can get a fiend to bring one over, so I'm hoping no taxes and customs problems.

What are the BIOS changes you mentioned? I can load up a new Windows OS, but I'm not knowledgeable on the BIOS.

Am I the only one considering this, or has it becaome popular since the release of Windows 8? For those avoiding Windows 8, how are you gettting new hardware but staying with Windows 7?

No the key in in the BIOS, in an Microsoft Data Management (MSDM) table. You can extract and store the key for later usage.

You can also use an automated tool to that purpose.

BIOS changes? Look here

For me, touch screens on small devices are fine, but on larger screens, you have to slide your fingers a long way over a lot of glass on a heavy work day. It's not for me.

If the laptop I chose has a touch screen, I probably will not use it, but as you say, I will be paying for it.

Cos Win8 is crap.

Cos Win8 is crap.

I saw on BBC world news last year that global laptop sales slumped significantly after the release of Windows 8. Bascally, no one wanted to upgrade their hardware due to Windows 8. It had nothing to do with the popularity of tablets as that market was already saturated.

I'm looking at a Sony Vaio E Series in 14". Not too much bigger than the 12.1". It's got good specs and looks to have a decent build quality. I would like to see and touch one though. I'll compare it the the models you mentioned shortly.

E Series must be an older model, even though it's brand new. They have one with Windows 7 Pro and one with Windows 8. The one with Windows 7 is actually more expensive. :) :)

Undetood! But 14 incher is pretty much full size laptop, not ultra portable. But if it is very thin and light, and you know you take it with you everywhere, go for it!

But for travelling I dont like anything larger than 11". There are some 9" netbooks, even Sony had one about a year ago, but it was very low spec.

Sent from my C6903 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Undetood! But 14 incher is pretty much full size laptop, not ultra portable. But if it is very thin and light, and you know you take it with you everywhere, go for it!

But for travelling I dont like anything larger than 11". There are some 9" netbooks, even Sony had one about a year ago, but it was very low spec.

Sent from my C6903 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app