Why do americans call Table Tennis "ping pong"?

Teddy1

For the same reason they call the world series, "The world Series". No logic whatsoever. Like, I mean....where's the rest of the world?

It makes sense for baseball, the classical American sport. The only teams that could compete with USA teams are from Latin America and then send their best players to the "show" in the USA, so it may as well be the World Series.

Because we can't imagine a "table tennis" show at Soi Cowboy?

From Wikipedia: Early rackets were often pieces of parchment stretched upon a frame, and the sound generated in play gave the game its first nicknames of "wiff-waff" and "ping-pong". A number of sources indicate that the game was first brought to the attention of Hamley's of Regent Street under the name "Gossima".[7][8] The name "ping-pong" was in wide use before British manufacturer J. Jaques & Son Ltd trademarked it in 1901. The name "ping-pong" then came to be used for the game played by the rather expensive Jaques's equipment, with other manufacturers calling it table tennis. A similar situation arose in the United States, where Jaques sold the rights to the "ping-pong" name to Parker Brothers. Parker Brothers then enforced their trademark for the term in the 1920s making the various associations change their names to "table tennis" instead of the more common, but trademarked, term.[9]

So it wasn't the Americans. It was our European cousins.

Just think- if not for a trademark back in 1901, we could be seeing the Wiff-Waff shows on Soi Cowboy.

Edited by impulse

For the same reason they call the world series, "The world Series". No logic whatsoever. Like, I mean....where's the rest of the world?

The Brits call baseball "rounder" so you don't even play the game. Why should you be invited to a "World Series" of baseball! The south Americans and Japanese are represented on the US teams.

Because we can't imagine a "table tennis" show at Soi Cowboy?

From Wikipedia: Early rackets were often pieces of parchment stretched upon a frame, and the sound generated in play gave the game its first nicknames of "wiff-waff" and "ping-pong". A number of sources indicate that the game was first brought to the attention of Hamley's of Regent Street under the name "Gossima".[7][8] The name "ping-pong" was in wide use before British manufacturer J. Jaques & Son Ltd trademarked it in 1901. The name "ping-pong" then came to be used for the game played by the rather expensive Jaques's equipment, with other manufacturers calling it table tennis. A similar situation arose in the United States, where Jaques sold the rights to the "ping-pong" name to Parker Brothers. Parker Brothers then enforced their trademark for the term in the 1920s making the various associations change their names to "table tennis" instead of the more common, but trademarked, term.[9]

So it wasn't the Americans. It was our European cousins.

Just think- if not for a trademark back in 1901, we could be seeing the Wiff-Waff shows on Soi Cowboy.

One whiff of the ball would make one waffle..I suspect....

why do they call soccer football?

The rest of the world were playing football before the likes of the aussies or americans started playing in the competitive arena my dear chap. it was never the americans sport to rename in the first place. Go figure.....

The rest of the world were playing football before the likes of the aussies or americans started playing in the competitive arena my dear chap. it was never the americans sport to rename in the first place. Go figure.....

Those damn yankees, always changing the name of the game and then rewriting the rules.

Those dam_n yankees, always changing the name of the game and then rewriting the rules.

Oh that looks good, lets americanize itsmile.png

That's because if they play the same games by the same rules as everyone else they can't win.

So they have to invent their own games and then they can call themselves champions.

Although, like cricket and rounders, baseball probably developed from English village games, modern baseball is American with the rules etc. developed in America.

To be fair, it can be quite watchable; unlike American football.

A game with an official playing time of 60 minutes which takes over three hours to complete; because the players have to have a rest every time they're tackled.

Why can't they just get up and get on with it; like rugby league.

Edited by 7by7

Why do americans call Table Tennis "ping pong"?

Created by the English so has it's given name changed to make it appear as though the American created it? Saying that, they still use the correct names for golf, tennis, cricket, chess, rugby. They change the name of rounders to baseball, football to soccer and modified rugby, calling it American football. Let's not forget table tennis to ping pong.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have played table tennis for many years & I think the more serious players call it table tennis, not ping pong! I can only speak for US citizens. I am not sure what it is called outside of the country.

Actually Americans call it both. It's not like soccer / football.

It's an eponym. Like wiping your nose with a kleenex* while going up the escalator* with your zipper* down. They seem to be more popular in American culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app