Phuket prison escapee alive; only 10 officers for 2,500 inmates says prison director

Lite Beer

Phuket prison escapee alive; only 10 officers for 2,500 inmates says prison director
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A Phuket Provincial Prison inmate 'took his chance' to escape while there were only 10 officers in charge of 2,595 prisoners, the prison director has said.

Worawut Rodbun tried to escape from the prison around 12.30pm yesterday (January 4) but was seriously injured when he came into contact with an electric fence. Initial reports incorrectly said Worawut died.

Rapin Nichanon, Director of Phuket Provincial Prison said, "As it was a holiday, there were only 10 officers taking care of 2,595 prisoners, so he took this chance to escape. It is estimated he planned his escape in the morning."

Mr Rapin said a committee has been set up to investigate the incident and how it happened.

"He suffered burns on his neck and cuts on his back. Now he's conscious in Vachira Hospital," Mr Rapin said.

According to the initial investigation, after lunch the prisoners were released onto the grounds for free time. Worawut, 45, walked to an area behind the workshop, around 1.5 metres away from the prison wall.

Here he grabbed a piece of wood which was blocking access to the restricted area, and used it as a ladder to climb up the wall. At the top, he got an electric shock and fell down. He tried to climb up again, but suffered another shock. His leg got caught on the barbed wire, so officers used a ladder to climb up the wall and cut the wire, and bring him down to the ground. He was taken to Vachira Hospital.

Worawut is a Phuketian who has been in Phuket Provincial Prison since March 29, on two counts of theft.

For the first theft, Worawut was sentenced to two years and six months, and for the second, was sentenced to one year and nine months inside

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-prison-escapee-alive-only-10-officers-for-2-500-inmates-says-prison-director-43836.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-01-05

If I would be a prison director, I would keep my mouth tightly shut about the fact that the situation can apparently occur there are only 10 officers to watch over 2500 inmates. Though I reckon at any time there are also a lot of trustee prisoners present.

• Like 1