British teachers please stop correcting my American daughter

zeichen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who teaches in asia realises that britannia doesnt rule the waves... unless its a school affiliated with cambridge. Those bastards are everywhere all of a sudden!

Either way, you have to make a choice. If the school is teaching British English, you teach British english. If its teaching american english, you call football, soccer so as not to confuse your poor students. You can teach them both of course, thats fine. But you could also teach your physics students that newtonian physics isnt in fact universal and that theres at least 10 dimensions. One of my mates, i remember quit his physics a-level many moons ago because of this. He said that every week theyd say "you know that shit we taught you last week... sorry, we didnt really mean it, thats only part of the truth which is not really any of the truth. but i swear, THIS WEEK youre going to learn the truth!" After about 6 weeks of this, he gave up.

My point is that ist just easier to lie a little sometimes. smile.png As a parent of course you can enjoy explicating the differences between british and american english and maybe even the way english is spoken throughout the world. It could be a fun lesson on accents if you like or about the places that english is spoken and why. Whee! lots you can do that doesnt dictate one or the other as the universal and sole truth. 00

Edited by inutil

You say 'Her teacher then really let her have it.'

What do you mean? And how do you know what happened?

This is exactly what I was going to write. She's 4? The teacher probably just wants to help her not sound stupid and learn correct pronunciation. You're not in Kansas anymore...

• Like 2

All the alphabet videos that I use say 'zee'. (I don't use the British videos because they are simply too 'yucky iccky sweet' - the US videos with rap and tecno music are much more popular with the kids).

Simon

Dear Z, may I suggest you recommend that your daughter's teacher use a different song, perhaps "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" - you know, the one about bananas and pa/pyjamas.

Having been "blessed" with the canonical RP accent there's no way I'm going to tolerate foreign accents like Scouse or Geordie, never mind foreign accents from overseas.

• Like 1

FYI the teacher is a woman not a man.

"Your daughter will not suffer from using the British version. It's good for them to exposed to both."

exposed is not what I said. I said that she was being corrected by her teacher telling her not to pronounce things that way.

I told my daughter that is how British people talk like our friend Uncle Dave. I just said that in our house we use Zee and that is how we sing the song. She is more afraid of getting yelled at by the teacher than doing what we normally do.

With only 1 hour a week instruction.

My point overall is more about the serious impact of how we run a class and influence children in general.

Not anything against the British pronunciation or to be a accent bashing thread.

Just as teachers it is important to be neutral and supportive rather than the teacher's micro-managing.

As both a parent and a teacher of good old English stock I have never given a thought as to how a child uses the language, whatever the text book says that's the way we go.

Spelling. I don't worry as to whether it is U.K. or American English it's all about communicating.

Personally my view is that the O.P is somewhat wanting as both a teacher and a parent.

Bigotry, along with spelling, spoken language and grammar Nazi's are a hindrance to a child learning English or any other subject for that matter.

• Like 1

I guess my point is that my daughter is an American. So correcting a native English speaking American for saying Zee instead of Zed is pretty silly. I do understand having uniformity in a class but at the same time, a teacher singling out a student for not pronouncing something the same way as a teacher is a little silly. When I teach, I state how I pronounce things but if student pronounce, spell or use grammar that is from a different vernacular, I don't correct them.

When my daughter comes home in tears because she doesn't want to be an American anymore, it is pretty hard.

I spend hours a day with my daughter and find it scary in just 6 months with only 1 hour a week, can create such a serious transformation.

As for American vs. British school. I did write that she goes to a Thai school. Also she is 4 so trying to force a foreign accent on a student is pretty rigid.

We are not talking about Thai students who have no background in English, we are talking about children that are raised in an English speaking household.

I would never in my life correct a British accented child to change. I would not make them feel different. I would only correct them if they used words that weren't accepted either way.

As for how I know what the teacher does. I don't always trust everything my daughter says but when she comes home in tears and screams about wanting to go to school, I took that as a sign. Most 4 year olds especially ones that love social interaction tend to like school. My wife sometimes observes the class.

Teachers shouldn't be raising their voices and yelling at 3-4 year olds period, let alone for not singing the ending of a song the same as others.

If you're serious here Z then I do sympathise with you, and your daughter; no 4 year old child should be humiliated by a teacher in that way, and if this happened to my child I would have no hesitation whatsoever in making a direct intervention with the teacher. Even if the teacher insists on a particular pronunciation, s/he shouldn't be reducing the child to tears.

I think your OP does actually hint at a very interesting issue about accent in general. I have several times on this forum felt fairly disgusted by the way non-NES teachers have been vilified for not having an NES accent - as if such a thing exists! In England alone there is an unbelievable range of accents; when you add in the UK as a whole and all the other NES countries and their local internal variations, then to speak of an NES accent is just silly. My own accent has changed dramatically 4 or 5 times throughout my life. To me it's about making sure that all the sounds that should be heard are heard, ie diction or enunciation, with a fair amount of leeway as to the shape of the sound itself. Specifically with spelling, if an issue arises I just make the students aware of the differences; but obviously that would be with an older group, not with 4 year olds, most of whose vocab would be spelt the same (I hope nobody's going to spend time racking their brains to find a rare difference to dis(respect) me on this ;-) )

Edited by bundoi

I guess my point is that my daughter is an American. So correcting a native English speaking American for saying Zee instead of Zed is pretty silly. I do understand having uniformity in a class but at the same time, a teacher singling out a student for not pronouncing something the same way as a teacher is a little silly. When I teach, I state how I pronounce things but if student pronounce, spell or use grammar that is from a different vernacular, I don't correct them.

When my daughter comes home in tears because she doesn't want to be an American anymore, it is pretty hard.

I spend hours a day with my daughter and find it scary in just 6 months with only 1 hour a week, can create such a serious transformation.

As for American vs. British school. I did write that she goes to a Thai school. Also she is 4 so trying to force a foreign accent on a student is pretty rigid.

We are not talking about Thai students who have no background in English, we are talking about children that are raised in an English speaking household.

I would never in my life correct a British accented child to change. I would not make them feel different. I would only correct them if they used words that weren't accepted either way.

As for how I know what the teacher does. I don't always trust everything my daughter says but when she comes home in tears and screams about wanting to go to school, I took that as a sign. Most 4 year olds especially ones that love social interaction tend to like school. My wife sometimes observes the class.

Teachers shouldn't be raising their voices and yelling at 3-4 year olds period, let alone for not singing the ending of a song the same as others.

My kids went through bilingual school with basically an experience the other way around.

The Americans were enforcing what you were mentioning the other way around which I found rather funny.

I told my kids to say to the teachers that American English was created by Microsoft and that there is only one English.

One American teacher took it quite seriously which I found very pathetic.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2