non payment of rent.

The topic title says it all.

Just wondering about the steps to evict a tenant for not paying her rent. The tenant (farang) has been renting for awhile but have now not paid the last 2 months rent. The 1st month she said she transferred the money "but it must have been delayed by the bank" and this past month it was the same excuse she was on holidays and transferred the money "it must have been delayed because of new years".

Since I'm not in Bangkok I have asked her to show the transfer slips to our rep there.

So far nothing. So I'm wondering what steps is required to lock her out. The condo is fully furnished and i dont want anythng to go missing. Basically I'm planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

Yep . . . . and, of course, recombinate the lock.

Wish we could do that back in the Old Country.

Rather than using those green garbage bags, I suggest stuffing her worldlies into several of those big-@ss roughly rectangular woven plastic zip bags you can pick up in Pratunam for 100 baht. Chose a plaid one, a New York one, perhaps if you can find one, a Spider-Man one and maybe a Barbie one.

The idea is to get her out but portable.

Her next logistical challenge will be calling a cab and after that telling him where to take her.

She'll figure it out when she sees you've invested 400 baht.

• Like 2

That's one of the worries, that there will be more damages then the deposit will cover. Our rep had a look in Nov to service the ac and all was good then. Of course until then rent was paid on time.

I have inform our rep about cutting off power and water and also getting the condo to kill the pass card.

• Like 1

Some people just don't get it.

You - the landlord - did not get the rent on time. She said that it was a bank problem - Wrong. It is her problem.

Pay the rent as per contract. If / when the bank comes thru, either get a refund or a credit toward next months rent.

Cry, whine, snivel - unbelievable !!

• Like 2

Yep . . . . and, of course, recombinate the lock. Wish we could do that back in the Old Country. Rather than using those green garbage bags, I suggest stuffing her worldlies into several of those big-@ss roughly rectangular woven plastic zip bags you can pick up in Pratunam for 100 baht. Chose a plaid one, a New York one, perhaps if you can find one, a Spider-Man one and maybe a Barbie one. The idea is to get her out but portable. Her next logistical challenge will be calling a cab and after that telling him where to take her. She'll figure it out when she sees you've invested 400 baht.

A further possibility is to pack her stuff (as already mentioned), but lock it up in another room (if available within the condo building).

Give her the message: 'Your out, pay your arrears and you get your stuff, it's already packed', perhaps also add 'not picked up in 14 days it gets thrown away'.

Sorry to be so severe but I had a luxury house for rent for several years in Pattaya.

Every tenant was farang, out of about 10 total tenants I had problems with maybe 6 farang tenants (mostly serious building / furniture / swimming pool damage, plus non payment of rent, plus several attempts by one female farang tenant to reduce the rent 'the weather has been a little cooler so we haven't been using the pool so much so I've cut 25% off the rent this month', and when first rent payment was due 'I know the rent is 50,000 (signed proper contract) but my bank will only allow a transfer of 40,000 per day, so I'm reducing the rent (total per month) down to 40,000.)

Edited by scorecard

just curious and not specific to this thread. If the locks are indeed changed by (absent?) owner/landlord then the tenant can also then change the locks ............... and so on and so on. How is that resolved?

She is that low on funds that she doesn't have an extra month (or more) of cash to cover rent/utilities/food ? Maybe time for her to move to a cheaper place and you find a tenant that isn't on the verge of starving to death every month (may want to consider installing safety nets around the balcony if you have one as well).

just curious and not specific to this thread. If the locks are indeed changed by (absent?) owner/landlord then the tenant can also then change the locks ............... and so on and so on. How is that resolved?

1. Locksmith.

2. Break it open, and if possible deduct it from any deposit held, or take something of approx. same value to pay the costs.

Actually all of this spelled out in the contract I used as a landlord. The contract also said that the tenant cannot change the locks without the owners written permission and must within 12 hours personally contact the landlord to come and pick up a set of the new keys.

This did happen two times (in both cases because the tenant had given extra keys to the new bf / gf then decided they didn't want them around anymore.

On both occasions someone from my family went to the house, checked that the new keys did work and took the keys away.

Wow, so glad I don't have to rent my place from the bunch of lovely beautiful people out here. So glad I don't behave as them when one of my tenants happens to be late for whatever reasons.

Haven't you pricks ever heard about the words "understanding", "tolerance" and "compassion" ?

Sure, your point is valid. And I have allowed longer time to pay when requested and the whole situation explained and I believed it to be a genuine case.

But also true that when you can see clearly that your being taken to the cleaners you are entitled to get tough. Tenant moved in, rent paid for a few months, then new car etc., appears, end of next month 'I can't pay the rent'.

Payments have been made.

The reason I gave the tenant leeway was because she has always been on time for the past year. She is blaming an online banking cockup.

Are you getting the feeling people are not reading the posts just the initial one.clap2.gif

• Like 1

If you rent out for example 1 y,give them a reduction of 20%,

they pay in advance 12 times the renting price + 2 months of deposit.

Otherwise i don't rent out .

(and yes ,the good renter will do this)

I never had any problem with cheap charlies.

Some real estate comp.,bring you a client and ask 1 month comm. for a

years contract ,and after 1 month the renter leaves the house and you can do

nothing.So in those cases ,agree with the real estate guy that you will pay the comm

monthly.He doesn't like it ....show him the door.

I'm the boss,not him.

• Like 2

If you rent out for example 1 y,give them a reduction of 20%,

they pay in advance 12 times the renting price + 2 months of deposit.

Advance 12times the renting price?

Apart from that, I do the same. I ask for 1 month's advance.

A further possibility is to pack her stuff (as already mentioned), but lock it up in another room (if available within the condo building).

Give her the message: 'Your out, pay your arrears and you get your stuff, it's already packed', perhaps also add 'not picked up in 14 days it gets thrown away'.

Sorry to be so severe but I had a luxury house for rent for several years in Pattaya.

Every tenant was farang, out of about 10 total tenants I had problems with maybe 6 farang tenants (mostly serious building / furniture / swimming pool damage, plus non payment of rent, plus several attempts by one female farang tenant to reduce the rent 'the weather has been a little cooler so we haven't been using the pool so much so I've cut 25% off the rent this month', and when first rent payment was due 'I know the rent is 50,000 (signed proper contract) but my bank will only allow a transfer of 40,000 per day, so I'm reducing the rent (total per month) down to 40,000.)

How did you get back your owed rent in the examples you gave scorecard?

Yep . . . . and, of course, recombinate the lock. Wish we could do that back in the Old Country. Rather than using those green garbage bags, I suggest stuffing her worldlies into several of those big-@ss roughly rectangular woven plastic zip bags you can pick up in Pratunam for 100 baht. Chose a plaid one, a New York one, perhaps if you can find one, a Spider-Man one and maybe a Barbie one. The idea is to get her out but portable. Her next logistical challenge will be calling a cab and after that telling him where to take her. She'll figure it out when she sees you've invested 400 baht.

She paid the rent and following your stupid "advice" he would have now an empty apartment.

• Like 1

Wow, so glad I don't have to rent my place from the bunch of lovely beautiful people out here. So glad I don't behave as them when one of my tenants happens to be late for whatever reasons.

Haven't you pricks ever heard about the words "understanding", "tolerance" and "compassion" ?

Those "lovely" people would throw out a long term tenant out for temporary, few weeks of money problems and then wonder, why the apartment is still empty half a year later..

• Like 1

Hey Timwin , can we share ;-?

I respond to a lot of these forum conundrums in the full knowledge that a good many of them are outrageous trolls.

If you rent property for a living as do I and many others on this board, you soon learn that business conducted according to the rules works best.

This tenant is training her inexperienced landlord to accept her stories.

Tenant two months behind ? You run an ad after the first delinquent month and when she goes into the second month you kick her out.

An empty rental is just an opportunity to move forward with a new tenant who'll afford you a better night's sleep.

But hey, you run your rentals your way and I will rent mine my way.

No, not heard of that when someone is taking the piss.....she has a contract, stick to it...
  • Like 1