Censors Reverse Tack, Da Vinci Code Approved

george

I am sick of the incessant winging that goes on in this forum. It appears that any opportunity some ppl get to whine about Thais and Thailand they all jump in. Where I come from there is a saying ‘If you don’t like it, there is a boat in the morning’. I presume most of the whiners actually chose to live here, so either shut the f### up or find somewhere else to whine about. I chose to live here and love it for the people, the places, the food and the life style.

Nuff said

There ARE other forums...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‘Da Vinci Code’ cleared to screen, without cuts

Controversial Hollywood thriller The Da Vinci Code will be shown in its entirety in Thailand after Sony Pictures threatened to withdraw the release of the movie if the climax was to be cut.

The government’s censorship committee had earlier decided to cut about 10 minutes from the end of the movie in response to complaints from Christian groups that it insulted their faith.

After intense negotiations with Sony Pictures yesterday, both sides reached an agreement under which Sony was allowed to screen the full version of the movie, with disclaimers stating that it is a work of fiction to be added to the beginning and the end, said Arm Chareonsiri, Sony Pictures Thailand’s marketing director.

“There will be no cut,” said Arm in a phone interview yesterday.

“I am so glad for the Thai audience. They won’t have to buy pirated copies to see the whole movie.”

Sony Pictures used its right not to release the movie in Thailand as a bargaining chip with the government, said Arm.

“The headquarters said if the movie doesn’t pass censorship then it will not be released in Thailand. So we told the committee that this is going to be bad for Thailand because we would be the only country where the movie won’t be shown,” Arm said.

Christian groups expressed satisfaction with the decision, saying Sony Pictures had apologized for its religious insensitivity and agreed to help them distribute nearly 200,000 booklets separating fact from fiction for movie-goers.

“I accept the decision,” said Thongchai Pradabchananutrat, chairman of the Protestant Coordinating Committee.

“We just wanted to discipline the company and tell the public that this is not the truth. I think our protest had put the company in a very awkward position over the last few days, and the whole country now knows that this movie is untrue. So we completed our goal and I am thankful to the company for their cooperation.”

Christian leaders had earlier expressed concern the movie might mislead audiences in predominantly Buddhist Thailand, in which Christians make up less than one percent of the population. Thongchai said while some conservative Christians might not be satisfied with the decision, most people accepted it.

The film will be released in more than 80 cinemas today.

Source: ThaiDay - 18 May 2006

I am sick of the incessant winging that goes on in this forum. It appears that any opportunity some ppl get to whine about Thais and Thailand they all jump in. Where I come from there is a saying ‘If you don’t like it, there is a boat in the morning’. I presume most of the whiners actually chose to live here, so either shut the f### up or find somewhere else to whine about. I chose to live here and love it for the people, the places, the food and the life style.

Nuff said

There ARE other forums...

Yes there are other forums and like many of you I choose to read this one because there is normally some useful comments and interesting points. In response to getting a life, i have one thanks, a very nice one here in Thailand away from the A-holes back in the west. my big fear is that they will discover how terrific this place is and start flooding in making a mess of it just like thier own crappy countries. Lets face it the discussion is about movie ITS NOT REAL!!!! We all have choices and if you think your beliefs will be damaged by watching it then either dont watch it or question if your belief is not strong enough. If you have read this far then you are excersising your own right to view free speach :o

If it's NOT real .... then ....

1) why read about it to this point in the thread?

2)Get upset about it enough to be a tit?

3) Be upset that people are talking about censorship and religion .. when what you want if for people NOT to think Thailand is a great place?

This was not a real vote, this was just a rubber stamp vote, for the sake of some

idiot government officials trying to justify there useless jobs.

The movie is being releases today, logistically they couldn't have stopped it

if they voted unanimously for cutting it.

To see what it felt like to be an idiot government official, everyone in my office voted to see which one of us would fly home after work in a helicopter.

My friend Dave won with 6 votes to 5...................never mind the fact that we don't have a helicopter.

You gotta love these useless commitees and the people on them, at least we voted on our lunch hour, these geniuses are actually calling this sort of silliness "work".

Huh? They would rightly NOT be concered with delaying the pening if the copies of the film were not ready

it was just a respectful but poorly thought out reaction to a complaint from a religious group .... and the proper response when they thought it through

There's a huge problem with Hollywood movies in general regarding the smearing of all things Christian; be it the setting fire of a Christmas tree, a horrific killing taking place at the same time showing a church scene, killing of priests, priests portrayed as evil, pissing on santa claus etc etc. We've seen this stuff over and over in movies for many decades. I rarely see a movie where there is no trace of this type of thing. No, banning is not the answer but they really pushed it hard in the face of Christians this time. As for me, I am non religious but I must say I get tired of all the shit thrown at the cross in movies. I could site example after example of this crap: In Fast Times at Ridegemont High a kid sitting on Santa's lap pisses on him; gee what's the message there? Caddyshack has a priest on a golf course get struck by lightening, hahaha so funny. The great classic The Godfather has the climactic end murder scenes intertwined with a church scene. When was the last time we saw a star of David get desecrated and laughed at? Perhaps if we saw rabbis get pissed on and laughed at then I wouldn't think anything off it. It seems they push the shit farther and farther, this may well be the farthest yet but then again maybe not. Hollywood is full of scum

OMG ... you know NOTHING about religion .... the "Christmas Tree" is Christian? "Santa Claus" is Christian?

for that matter even Christmas being Christian is kinda silly ... the dates are not historically accurate ... wrong season ... but the church needed a holiday to cover the pagan celebrations of the winter solstice

then the repeated remarks of Rabbis being pissed on? Anti-semetic much?

oh well ... didn't expect much more from your other posts contents

<<pardon folks ... am NOT slamming Christianity ....>>

Please explain to me which part of Santa Claus, Sinterklaas, Saint Nicholas is not based in Christian tradition?

Thaibebop made the same claim and I would be interested in knowing if the Santa Claus of today isnt a derivative of life of a christian saint, then where did the story come from?...

I realise the Christmas we celebrate is a reworking of the Saturanlia, and the tree itself is rich in pagan symbology, but not too sure how you dismiss old St Nick so easily.

As for you accusation of anti-semetic remarks, it seems once again you overlook the spirit of the post, which makes an interesting point whether you agree or not.

At no point does anyone say they would like to see a rabbi pissed on, but that the christian church is often used in inappropriate ways in movies, while other faiths are not treated so lightly. It is a parallel, albeit a bad one.

As for Thai censorship, its entirely arbitrary. The vote numbers are just spin.

...saying Sony Pictures had apologized for its religious insensitivity...

Huh? It's a movie made from a book. Does this mean that the books publisher should also apologize?

When the big religious movies of the 20th were being made, The Robe, Greatest Story Ever Told etc, should the film makers have considered apologizing to the Jews, Mithradaietists, followers of various Egyptian, Assyrian, etal pantheons? New century, new politically correct view points I suppose.

Consider this. When Salmon Rushdie came out with a new take on Islam, he got sentenced to death and still maintains a pretty low profile. Dan Brown, to my knowledge, is still able to walk the streets.

A bunch of cartoons take a swip at Mohammed, the creators get dragged across the world's media. South Park, Simpsons and other's make fun of christianity, yet they do not cause debates in the UN.

hmmmm... :o

no problem thailebop, lets just see some rabbis get pissed on

Since Santa has nothing to do with Christianity then there would be no equivalent in pissing on a Rabbi, would there? :o

monochaser, from what planet did you recently arrive to earth? Maybe the kid was over-excited or had a weak bladder (as kids can have)? Or did you witness an 'on purpose' pissing?

Reading your initial post was like trying to watch a yoyo being operated at insanely high speeds.

Remember when they tried to ban the Life of Brian

Now the D code

really

maybe they need to put pasties on the rude bits and get on with it

:D

Blessed are the cheese makers. :D

Look. I-- I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'

For that he was stoned... I wish I was stoned. :o

Remember when they tried to ban the Life of Brian

Now the D code

really

maybe they need to put pasties on the rude bits and get on with it

:D

Blessed are the cheese makers. :D

Look. I-- I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'

For that he was stoned... I wish I was stoned. :o

Jehovah Jehovah Jehovah Jehovah Jehovah :D

I guess with all the fuss we'll have to see it, whether it's good or not. The protesters have done a good job of promoting their nemesis.
Based on yesterday’s less than enthusiastic reviews after the screening at the Cannes Film Festival, the movie can use all the promotion it can get.

---------------

Maestro

I guess with all the fuss we'll have to see it, whether it's good or not. The protesters have done a good job of promoting their nemesis.
Based on yesterday’s less than enthusiastic reviews after the screening at the Cannes Film Festival, the movie can use all the promotion it can get.

---------------

Maestro

Not so sure about that - everyone who read the book will see it. (that alone will make a mint)

‘Da Vinci Code’ cleared to screen, without cuts

<snip>

After intense negotiations with Sony Pictures yesterday, both sides reached an agreement under which Sony was allowed to screen the full version of the movie, with disclaimers stating that it is a work of fiction to be added to the beginning and the end, said Arm Chareonsiri, Sony Pictures Thailand’s marketing director.

</snip>

In that case they should add the same disclaimer to the frikkin bible. Until that is that they can provide proof that anything in the NT.

<snip>

Christian groups expressed satisfaction with the decision, saying Sony Pictures had apologized for its religious insensitivity and agreed to help them distribute nearly 200,000 booklets separating fact from fiction for movie-goers.

</snip>

This is the part that really frosts my nipples :o Exactly what "facts" are they going to separate from fiction?

xtians can not claim that any of the story of jc is fact until they provide proof. And I don't mean a toasted cheese sandwich that may or may not contain the likeness of his farkin' mother. I mean real, testable, repeatable proof.

Edited by slackula

Has it occured to anyone that Thailand might want this film banned to reduce its Buddhist population exposure to an alternative faith.

Its the type of thing they'd do if they could get away with.

After all, there would appear to be carpet ban on all Western music on the 6 terrestial Thai TV stations which only ever broadcast Thai music.

They're not keen on Western influences here.

Slim .... ummmm NO

as for music ... ever turn on your radio? Watch AF? etc etc TV is broadcast for the most part in Thai here (on your "terrestrial" channels ... start seeing "Western Music" in Thai and you'll see it on tv here. <why would you broadcast something in a foriegn language that the vast majority of the population doesn't understand on local TV?>

Thais just don't much care about other religions being here ... one way or the other ... which comes from ... their religion. Learn more about Buddhism and you may understand that.

Saw the movie last night...full theatre...mostly Thais with a few farangs. There was a Thai language intro and finale statement saying the movie was not about truth but about a story in which a lot of content were opinions.

Also interesting was that you all had better bone up on your French language since a lot of that language is spoken in the movie and the French subtitles have been replaced by Thai subtitles! As far as rating the movie...I would say 2 to 3 star with Tom Hanks having a weak role and performance...not an Oscar candidate for sure. The French dick and the crippled Brit gave fine performances IMHO. The book was much better than the movie.

Few movies I have seen can measure up to the book...one exception being the Godfather 1 and 2 movies based on Mario Puzo's book. I won't bother buying the DVD since I think one viewing of the movie is enough for me. I know for sure we won't see any Angels and Demons since it would have to be filmed in Vatican City and Pope Benny would never, ever give his imprimatur and nihil obstat.

Slim .... ummmm NO

Thais just don't much care about other religions being here ... one way or the other ... which comes from ... their religion. Learn more about Buddhism and you may understand that.

I agree. Buddhism has a deep root in Thailand. It's very unlikely that being exposed to foreign culture will make them convert to another religion.

It's all about supply and demand. If it doesn't have enough demand, the supply just has to give way.

Saw it last night also. Very well done.

Never seen a movie with this much text in THREE languages. Makes it authentic, but hey....no subtitles, so how can you follow what's being said... Except English, about 10-15% French & Latin. My French is OK, my Latin is not. Of course the French is poken fast. So be aware, or what for the DVD.

Saw the movie last night...full theatre...mostly Thais with a few farangs. There was a Thai language intro and finale statement saying the movie was not about truth but about a story in which a lot of content were opinions.

Also interesting was that you all had better bone up on your French language since a lot of that language is spoken in the movie and the French subtitles have been replaced by Thai subtitles! As far as rating the movie...I would say 2 to 3 star with Tom Hanks having a weak role and performance...not an Oscar candidate for sure. The French dick and the crippled Brit gave fine performances IMHO. The book was much better than the movie.

Few movies I have seen can measure up to the book...one exception being the Godfather 1 and 2 movies based on Mario Puzo's book. I won't bother buying the DVD since I think one viewing of the movie is enough for me. I know for sure we won't see any Angels and Demons since it would have to be filmed in Vatican City and Pope Benny would never, ever give his imprimatur and nihil obstat.

Slim .... ummmm NO

as for music ... ever turn on your radio? Watch AF? etc etc TV is broadcast for the most part in Thai here (on your "terrestrial" channels ... start seeing "Western Music" in Thai and you'll see it on tv here. <why would you broadcast something in a foriegn language that the vast majority of the population doesn't understand on local TV?>

In that case idinasia why is it when you walk round the PC shopping malls like Pantip Plaza in Bangkok or Kosa Mall here in Khon Kaen do you more often or not, hear Limp Bizkit, Eminem, Dr Dre, 50 Cent, Korn etc etc etc blasting out and not home grown Thai music (with the exception of Bodyslam and 5 Club) ?

I have yet to hear any music by the bands I've mentioned (or similar) on the 6 Thai terrestrial stations(which the Thai authorities have under their control - effectively) yet its clear that this is what the Thai youth want to listen to.

There's is only one reason for this. The Thai authorities wont allow it and if you think the Thai's run this country according to the teachings of Siddhartha Guatama you need to be taking those rose coloured glasses off for a minute and having a look around.

Edited by slim

Slim .... ummmm NO

In that case idinasia why is it when you walk round the PC shopping malls like Pantip Plaza in Bangkok or Kosa Mall here in Khon Kaen do you more often or not, hear Limp Bizkit, Eminem, Dr Dre, 50 Cent, Korn etc etc etc blasting out and not home grown Thai music (with the exception of Bodyslam and 5 Club) ?

I have yet to hear any music by the bands I've mentioned (or similar) on the 6 Thai terrestrial stations(which the Thai authorities have under their control - effectively) yet its clear that this is what the Thai youth want to listen to.

There's is only one reason for this. The Thai authorities wont allow it and if you think the Thai's run this country according to the teachings of Siddhartha Guatama you need to be taking those rose coloured glasses off for a minute and having a look around.

Slim, what do you know about Media & Marketing?

What you identified in your post are 2 very different things...Television & Music. Let me refresh your memory..."why is it when you walk round the PC shopping malls like Pantip Plaza in Bangkok or Kosa Mall here in Khon Kaen do you more often or not, hear Limp Bizkit, Eminem, Dr Dre, 50 Cent, Korn etc etc etc blasting out and not home grown Thai music (with the exception of Bodyslam and 5 Club) ?"

Audio is entirely different compared to Audio Visual media...2 entirely different audiences. This is especially so in non English speaking countries. Here's some logic for you...it's easier to LISTEN to MUSIC (& like the tune/beat etc) than it is to try to assimilate the music PLUS the graphics. There is no doubt that many Thais like Western MUSIC but the MUSIC VIDEOS have very little extra value for Thais, due to cultural differences. Images of these music videos mean little to non Westernised Thais.

By the way, I do think that the Thai authorities DO limit the western influences but not in the way that you speak of.

ok elkangorito explain to me why the 3 satellite music channels available in Thailand (Ch V, MTV and VH1) broadcast a full range of both Thai and western music videos 24/7 if "MUSIC VIDEOS have very little extra value for Thais" ?

The answer seems clear to me - the Thai authorities either discourage or wont allow the broadcast of western songs/videos on the 6 terrestial channels. UBC they have less control over and couldn't be seen to be censoring what their youth watch.

Music is music and the best music comes from the west. Why do you think that any western artist or group sell out when they perform in Bangkok .

You'd think at least one of the executive producers of one of the 6 terrestial TV stations would say

"I know - lets have a music video show and feature all the weeks latest video releases from around the world.......................er..............no....... on second thoughts......I dont suppose anyone would watch"

As far as the language being a barrier. Its my understanding that Thailand is chronically short of English teachers as the number of English speaking Thais is way down compared to her neighbours (Cambodia and Vietnam) so shouldn't they be encouraging English on the television?

(by the way, my Thai isn't all that good - but I'd watch a Tata Young music video any day of the week)