Thai government fears coup plan in the works

webfact

QUOTE(Holger Grafen):
"WHERE ARE THE RED SHIRTS!!!!!!!!!!! Don't they get it? If Suthep wins they will lose everything! Even the right to vote! Even their fundamental rights. If their leaders are not able to leave Thailand in time, they will spend the rest of their lives in prison. Yingluck will be exiled for the rest of her life. And after the election reform Thai-democracy will become similar to Singapore: 50% of the parliamentarians will be appointed by the government before the voting even starts. And therefore the ruling party will stay in power no matter the outcome of the elections."

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a matter of interest where where you educated?

one class ahead of you for the year before you needed to repeat

sorry I apoligise for that i just could not resist it

But do I have to remind you what you and I thing does not matter

One day you will let t sink in all our opinions mean nothing

this is there country

and we have no rights here we are just visitors

By the way are you American ?

Dear God I hope you are not Australian. Or Ozzie and pissed at least!!

QUOTE(Holger Grafen):

"WHERE ARE THE RED SHIRTS!!!!!!!!!!! Don't they get it? If Suthep wins they will lose everything! Even the right to vote! Even their fundamental rights. If their leaders are not able to leave Thailand in time, they will spend the rest of their lives in prison. Yingluck will be exiled for the rest of her life. And after the election reform Thai-democracy will become similar to Singapore: 50% of the parliamentarians will be appointed by the government before the voting even starts. And therefore the ruling party will stay in power no matter the outcome of the elections."

Interesting. Thais at the moment have the freedom and ability to act like idiots and to do and say what they believe. If they are upset now, imagine what they will be when they lose the right to act like idiots and voice their opinions. Some learn at an early age to be careful what you ask for as you just might get it. Much more difficult lesson to learn at an older age as the consequences are not so dire when young.

I have been curious and the guy talking about his wife with an MS or MA being out in the streets peaked my curiosity even more. Don't these protestors have jobs or are employers just giving them all free passes to take as much time off as needed for the protest. I just cannot reconcile how responsible well educated people would ditch responsibilities and work schedules to participate in a mob rules mentality.

• Like 1

All the posters from western democracies when they get to Thailand chuck it out the window in support of coups, forgetting about their own roots. They are the worst kind of hypocrits!

My country has never had a government as corrupt and incompetent as this one. If it did, I'd want a coup there too.

No - they'd just get voted out at the next election...

Hub of coup's, sounds like something new for TAT to promote.

You could be onto something there.

The last time there was a coup the tourists lapped it up, having their photos taken with soldiers holding orchids and sitting on their tanks. And it was the one time in my ten years here that there was no childish political squabbling, no violence on the streets and no Shinawats dominating the media.

It was almost like the Buddhist utopia Thailand so loves to claim to be! smile.png

It looks like things are headed for the military coup some here are hoping for.

If the Army General intends to hold the goverment responsible for any violence (although not his position in 2010) then it will certaintly be easy for Khun Suthep to further stoke the fires of rage and hostility and achieve his glorious quest. I find it hard to accept that this is the best way for Thailand to move forward, following this dear-leader wanabee. I don't know how many who support the current government will react, but it seems likely this will only serve to devide the Thai people even more.

Suthep may be the savior for his whistle blowing throngs but he may well end breaking the thing he claims to want to fix.

All the posters from western democracies when they get to Thailand chuck it out the window in support of coups, forgetting about their own roots. They are the worst kind of hypocrits!

Maybe there was a reason they left their democracies. Ok, a coup or two every decade is a bit much, but every 20y would clean the air nicely. Or one could put a cap on the politicians service time, say max. 8y and out.

QUOTE(Holger Grafen):

Interesting. Thais at the moment have the freedom and ability to act like idiots and to do and say what they believe. If they are upset now, imagine what they will be when they lose the right to act like idiots and voice their opinions. Some learn at an early age to be careful what you ask for as you just might get it. Much more difficult lesson to learn at an older age as the consequences are not so dire when young.

I have been curious and the guy talking about his wife with an MS or MA being out in the streets peaked my curiosity even more. Don't these protestors have jobs or are employers just giving them all free passes to take as much time off as needed for the protest. I just cannot reconcile how responsible well educated people would ditch responsibilities and work schedules to participate in a mob rules mentality.

My wife has a BSc, her sister's husband has an MBA. They, and I (I know stupid farang, don't need reminding) along with another sister , MIL and all the kids/grandkids, went to the protest march on the weekend. Yes they still have to work during the week. All are from Isaan originally FYI and are really disgusted what is happening to their country under the Shin regime.

They really cannot see any way out of this mess other than taking to the streets. Voting in an election didn't work - just an ongoing campaign to bring back Thaksin whom they despise.

They truly believe that Suthep may be the change the country needs in the short term.

That remains to be seen in my opinion, but that is what they think at the moment.

• Like 2

QUOTE(Holger Grafen):

You know all of this how?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

QUOTE(Holger Grafen):

You know all of this how?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'd like to know how too. Please enlighten us.

Image search with "Thailand coup 2006" brought interesting facts: http://blogs.reuters.com/blog/archives/2660

“If I can’t dance I don’t want to be in your revolution,” said Emma Goldman, or at least she probably said one of the several common variations of that quote. It is not appropriate to entertain soldiers while they are on duty, a Thai colonel told Reuters after a troupe of 10 women in tight camouflage vests and shorts posed with soldiers and tanks while making a music video.Sorry, Emma, it’s hard times… Leaders of the Thai coup have banned go-go girls from dancing near tanks and troops, as a distraction from the serious business of power.

cheesy.gif Gotta love the Thais.

Image search with "Thailand coup 2006" brought interesting facts: http://blogs.reuters.com/blog/archives/2660

“If I can’t dance I don’t want to be in your revolution,” said Emma Goldman, or at least she probably said one of the several common variations of that quote. It is not appropriate to entertain soldiers while they are on duty, a Thai colonel told Reuters after a troupe of 10 women in tight camouflage vests and shorts posed with soldiers and tanks while making a music video.Sorry, Emma, it’s hard times… Leaders of the Thai coup have banned go-go girls from dancing near tanks and troops, as a distraction from the serious business of power.

cheesy.gif Gotta love the Thais.

It's called a Claytons coup, "the drink coup you have when you're not having a drink a coup.

If the government is too weak and ineffectual to deal with the protestors then for sure a coup is the only way to fix that problem. Pro-Shinawatras can blame Suthep all they want but it was Poo's useless and corrupt government that allowed the situation to become so bad in the first place.

Now they can't disperse the crowds because the Shinawatra police are just as useless as their masters and they refuse to resign because they want to cling onto power. The army won't help them either. Right now, the only way this problem is going to be solved is with a coup with a military junta in charge for a couple of years while they try to force the Dems and the PTP to work together without Shinwatra interference.

why Yingluck should resign??? Because of Suthep? Because of a brainless leader of a mob? No way...! Y. is elected by majority of Thai people and will win again!!

The Anti Government Protesters seem to hate democracy.

Thailand had an elected Government and an Opposition with all the necessary checks and balances on abuses of power.

The majority of Thai people are not stupid and do not wish to see their wonderful country self destruct through greed and intolerance.

Its time to stop the nonsense.

"Anti Government" seems to be more like "Anti Thailand"

It is so very sad.

• Like 1

If the government is too weak and ineffectual to deal with the protestors then for sure a coup is the only way to fix that problem. Pro-Shinawatras can blame Suthep all they want but it was Poo's useless and corrupt government that allowed the situation to become so bad in the first place.

Now they can't disperse the crowds because the Shinawatra police are just as useless as their masters and they refuse to resign because they want to cling onto power. The army won't help them either. Right now, the only way this problem is going to be solved is with a coup with a military junta in charge for a couple of years while they try to force the Dems and the PTP to work together without Shinwatra interference.

So this is what happens to people's political views when they live in Thailand for too long.....first time I have ever actually witnessed someone in support of a military junta.

Very little to do with living here for too long. Everything to do with the alternative being a continued dictatorship by a criminal thug and his greedy family a la Ferdinand Marcos. Just about anything is preferable to this.

• Like 1

Lost in space......(forget the name of the program)

Thailand had an elected Government and an Opposition with all the necessary checks and balances on abuses of power.

And a government coming up with all kinds of dirty-tricks and underhand tactics to curcumvent the checks and balances... 3am voting after the house speaker declared no vote until the following morning ring any bells?

• Like 1

QUOTE(Holger Grafen):

My wife has a BSc, her sister's husband has an MBA. They, and I (I know stupid farang, don't need reminding) along with another sister , MIL and all the kids/grandkids, went to the protest march on the weekend. Yes they still have to work during the week. All are from Isaan originally FYI and are really disgusted what is happening to their country under the Shin regime.

They really cannot see any way out of this mess other than taking to the streets. Voting in an election didn't work - just an ongoing campaign to bring back Thaksin whom they despise.

They truly believe that Suthep may be the change the country needs in the short term.

That remains to be seen in my opinion, but that is what they think at the moment.

educated middle class...is that an oxy moron

Wow Now there is democracy for you. If the minority can't win an election then stage a coup and take control against the majority.

I wish you would try some intelligent argument for once.

When the government is as utterly crap and corrupt as PT there comes a breaking point. It has nothing to do with winning elections or not, it has to do with corruption, brazenly flouting the law and gross incompetence !

Minority, majority - who cares !? PT have done a terrible job and they broke the law, they need to be sorted out...

'....democratically elected......get what they deserve.....' yeah yeah, blah blah blah, heard it a million times and still don't buy it....bah.gif

Like your style. Always the articulate and impressive arguments that leave little room for reply.

So tell me why the PT government should be allowed to stay ? Show me shining examples of what a great job they have done ? Show me how their acts have benefitted the country without causing problems in their wake ? Come on, impress me....

You must know my Thai wife

she keeps telling me that when a Northern Thai is educated they go to Bangkok because thats where the good jobs are

and the demoncrates have never lost an election here in many many years

Laughable...Dems got destroyed in Bangkok in 2005...just 8 yrs ago..."dems have never lost an election in Bangkok in many many days" would be more accurate: " In Bangkok TRT won 32 seats; Dems 4; Chart Thai 1". (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2005)

And, it will make my day if "demon-crates" is a typo or voice-to-text error!

The majority of Thai people are not stupid and do not wish to see their wonderful country self destruct through greed and intolerance.
It is so very sad.
As many Thais have freely admitted themselves, what they have here is very far from real democracy. Partly because it was done wrong at the start and partly because the 'government' have perverted things to favour themselves instead of democracy. What we have here is Thaksinocracy
There were some of the checks and balances though not all and the 'government' has been trying hard to remove them as best they can to allow Thaksin's return worry free. For example there are courts that have ruled their actions unconstitutional and PT 'don't recognize the authority of the court' and argue they have no right to judge them and they should be able to do what they want. Moreso the 'reds' protested outside the courts, tried to intimidate the judges, threatened to kidnap them and tried to pressure them into quitting their jobs - pretty much like Suthep is doing to Yingluck right now ( minus the kidnap threats ). When this failed PT tried to have them removed through legal means but they too failed. This is NOT democracy. In a democracy, the word of the court is final, you accept your punishment with grace.
This I agree with absolutely. Many of the reds don't seem to understand that by giving them the rice money they have bankrupted everyone. There needs to be better education. Also the 'rich' can buy what they want through corruption and this needs to be stopped and they need to be educated in the rule of law. Good education and the reduction of corruption would help improve things greatly. We need aan agency like the DSI that will actually do it's job properly like the ICAC in HK or the KPK in Indonesia without being bought and without fear of reprisals.
Agreed.
Nope, it is anti Shinawatra. If the Shin's would leave then the rest would be accepted. Thaksin is the problem and his family by association since he uses them to do his bidding. If they left then the protests would stop. But there is so much more mo9ney to be stolen from the 2.2 trillion baht loan if they are in power and if they can push it through that they refuse to leave till they have bankrupted the next 20 years or so as well as the past 2 1/2.
It is so very sad.
  • Like 1

why Yingluck should resign??? Because of Suthep? Because of a brainless leader of a mob? No way...! Y. is elected by majority of Thai people and will win again!!

My friend, calm down. The Peoples Democratic Republic Of North Korea recently "elected" a new leader. He had his Uncle ripped apart by starving dogs. Russia has elected Putin yet again, once as President and again as Prime Minister and again as President (for life in reality) Think again before you vote what could and will most likely become a dictatorship.

QUOTE(Holger Grafen):

educated middle class...is that an oxy moron

Why so?

Do you think any Western democracy would tolerate an inept, corrupt, government that openly cavorts with a fugitive criminal who instructs their every move? A government that lies, cheats and acts illegally for its own benefit?

This reporting is again piss poor and misleading. Why not mention the fact that parliament has been dissolved, the government has acted illegally and refuses to answer questions or be held accountable, has consistently lied and defied the rule of law.

How do you think a Western Democracy would react?

Too much emphasis on "democratically elected" rather than "behaving in accordance with democracy".

• Like 1

The Minister of Defense and Prime Minister is concerned about a potential coup in the making. That's laughable inasmuch as if it did happen, it would theoretically be treason and sedition since she is the army's Commander in Chief as Minister of Defense and PM. It's a laughable state Thailand is. Who would want to do business with a country like this or travel there to spend hard earned vacation money?

There were some of the checks and balances though not all and the 'government' has been trying hard to remove them as best they can to allow Thaksin's return worry free. For example there are courts that have ruled their actions unconstitutional and PT 'don't recognize the authority of the court' and argue they have no right to judge them and they should be able to do what they want. Moreso the 'reds' protested outside the courts, tried to intimidate the judges, threatened to kidnap them and tried to pressure them into quitting their jobs - pretty much like Suthep is doing to Yingluck right now ( minus the kidnap threats ). When this failed PT tried to have them removed through legal means but they too failed. This is NOT democracy. In a democracy, the word of the court is final, you accept your punishment with grace.

When the act of amending the constitution (according to the procedure laid out in that very consitution) away from a coup-imposed unelected senate is deemed an unconstitutional act of 'corruption', that tells you all you need to know about the Thai courts and their stance vis-a-vis democracy.

In Thailand, loyalty to the court system and loyalty to Democracy are sadly not compatible values, as it should be, but rather opposite attitudes.

• Like 2