Thai government fears coup plan in the works

webfact

Thai government fears coup plan in the works
Lindsay Murdoch
SOUTH-EAST ASIA CORRESPONDENT FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

BANGKOK: Thailand’s democratically elected government fears the country’s powerful military will be lured into staging a coup if anti-government protesters shut down Bangkok again next Monday.

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is also facing legal challenges to her government's plans for a snap election on February 2, including the possible laying of charges against 381 MPs for trying to change the constitution last year.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission is deciding whether to lay charges against the MPs over a government bid to reform Thailand's Senate, which the Constitutional Court ruled on November 20 was unlawful. The country's upper house is made up of 76 elected members and 74 appointed ones, and the government had wanted to make it fully elected.

Sunisa Letphakkawat, a spokeswoman for the government, has raised suspicions about a “secret” plan by anti-government leaders to organise a small violent attack on protesters during the shutdown, which would set a coup in motion.

“If a coup happens, it would result from the [failings] of the government,” he said.

The highly politicised military, which has staged 18 coups or attempted coups since the 1930s, has emerged as a key player ahead of next week’s political showdown as Ms Yingluck’s grip on power becomes increasingly precarious.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/thai-government-fears-coup-plan-in-the-works-20140107-hv7q8.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2014-01-07

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TIT (This is Thailand)

Foreigners can not expect Thai's to adhear to Western Ways and Thinking.

Thai Culture and thinking is not the Same as the Western World.

True Western Democracy in Thailand ??????????

Why do you think there have been 18 Coups or attempted Coups in modern history ?

Pretty sure the Mlitary would not interveine in Politics if everything was going "smooth as silk" here.

• Like 1

I am not red and I am not yellow but just a fellow on the side line and in my opinion there are apparently to kind of democracy. There’s Thai democracy and there is free democracy which the rest of the world are using.

In Thailand Yinglock will win the next election and she will win again and again as long as her government use state money to pay overprice for rice and indirectly buy votes.

Somehow that doesn't seem fair

• Like 2

All the posters from western democracies when they get to Thailand chuck it out the window in support of coups, forgetting about their own roots. They are the worst kind of hypocrits!

Really hypocrites!!! the most often used insult out there. Just think of all the wonderful leaders in history who remained true to their youthful ideologies

Hitler. Boy he stayed true to his beliefs

Pol Pot. Unswavoring in his ideology

Mao. Never compromised an inch

Ian Paisely Not an Inch

Etc.....

Does that mean Yinglick will be joining her brother in exile?

I dunno... She certainly has a certain appeal to the people to the people of the North and N.E.. She'd be perfect for charity work and causes for the poor if she remained neutral and was willing to get her hands and her feet a bit dirty. She could be brilliant if she actually cared. Most of the anti government posters here see her as not really capable of leading a government. It's just not her thing to be honest and we feel a bit sorry for her. But she could in a neutral position do a lot of good. I think it would be a humbling experience in the beginning for her and I doubt that she would achieve the the status of Mother Teresa, but if she truly loves Thailand and Thai people, and if I was her adviser, that's what I'd tell her.

Do what's good for Thailand... Not for your Party or yourself.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

If the government is too weak and ineffectual to deal with the protestors then for sure a coup is the only way to fix that problem. Pro-Shinawatras can blame Suthep all they want but it was Poo's useless and corrupt government that allowed the situation to become so bad in the first place.

Now they can't disperse the crowds because the Shinawatra police are just as useless as their masters and they refuse to resign because they want to cling onto power. The army won't help them either. Right now, the only way this problem is going to be solved is with a coup with a military junta in charge for a couple of years while they try to force the Dems and the PTP to work together without Shinwatra interference.

So this is what happens to people's political views when they live in Thailand for too long.....first time I have ever actually witnessed someone in support of a military junta.

• Like 2

All the posters from western democracies when they get to Thailand chuck it out the window in support of coups, forgetting about their own roots. They are the worst kind of hypocrits!

Comparing this country to the Western democracy I grew up in, requires a large stretch of imagination. The lot of them would be banned and/or locked up.