Angor wat

Fabulousheart

I saw the other post about mini van to angor wat. Ironically I was in a travel agency yesterday asking about trip.The agent called and of course the amount is not the same in the brochure. I do not want to fly.

1)Is there a way to go to angor wat with a small group that is not in crappy mini van?

2) is there any good quality places to stay near angor wat? (I got really worried when she said the hotel has hot water)

3) if not any small group way can someone recommend a private tour agency?

I would be leaving from Jomtien area.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Go to Bangkok, get a train to the border, From there , get a bus.Do not, I repeat,DO NOT be talked into going in the back of a ute. Where the train drops you off, people will try to get you to take a truck, its a pickup, a horror trip if ever there was one. The bus will take you to the town near the Wat, good hotels, town ok.

Go to Bangkok, get a train to the border, From there , get a bus.Do not, I repeat,DO NOT be talked into going in the back of a ute. Where the train drops you off, people will try to get you to take a truck, its a pickup, a horror trip if ever there was one. The bus will take you to the town near the Wat, good hotels, town ok. P.S. How long you been in SE asia?? Two minutes?? Never ever take a mini bus, not even 100 yards.Never take a bus if you can fly or go by train.If I can preempt the knowalls, I know trains have accidents , but, more chance of survival.

Edited by aveabeeror2

A word of caution on hotels in Siem Reap. Most of the ones used by travel agencies are out on the airport road - nice places, but pretty far away from the enter of town if you want to walk around a bit at night.

When we went, we discovered the Steung Siem Reap Hotel, a delightful place right in the center of town - two blocks from Pub Street. Staff were superb.

http://www.steungsiemreaphotel.com

There are also fast, comfortable buses that go to Aranyaphratet (border) from somewhere in Pattaya. Probably on Sukhumvit. It's a popular visa run destination. Also many classes of buses leave Mo Chit station (BKK) to Aranya many times a day.

Hotels in Siem Reap range from backpacker guesthouse to high class hotels. From the small city, you hire a tuk tuk or Camry taxi to take you 1.5 hrs to Angkor Wat, which is the general name for the many tens of temple complexes outside town.

Note: You must be new to SEA if you hesitated when the hotel noted it has hot water. Every hotel has at least inline water heaters. The tourist industry in SEA knows farangs like hot water showers so they habitually mention it.

Any recommendations on transportation? I was told only can go to border from pattaya then take another vehicle at border. Also I have heard nightmare stories about the van trips so would like to avoid that if possible. Also I have been coming to sea for 12 years but always stayed in western hotels before this trip so the hot water never came up.

I thought this would be easier to do but as in everything Thai time and let go let go.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Any recommendations on transportation? I was told only can go to border from pattaya then take another vehicle at border. Also I have heard nightmare stories about the van trips so would like to avoid that if possible. Also I have been coming to sea for 12 years but always stayed in western hotels before this trip so the hot water never came up. I thought this would be easier to do but as in everything Thai time and let go let go. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Gunna tell you again, for the last time, pay attention as I may ask questions .Go to BK,catch train,at border take aircon bus to Sien Reap, stay there for the night. (and as someone has mentioned, the bus from the border will prob. take you to a out of town accomodation.Get in to town to stay) Next day, motorbike taxi to the site.You have to pay to visit now, and,so you know what it is your looking at and not just some scratches on rocks, pay for a guided tour. End of story.

Thank you avear but again I would like to leave from pattaya not bkk especially now with protests. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am sure there are trips from pattaya but with mini bus.

The survival rate for going with minibus is something like 99.99%, not too much to worry about.

If you are concerned about that, you should not be staying in Thailand in the first place.

• Like 1

If there is a group of you check on hiring a van for your group then it will only be your group no fat guy. Also if you rent the van with driver you can keep on him about speed to not drive too fast. I have always had good luck when I rented a van with a driver they have always been good drivers and not fast. have fun!

• Like 1

Thank you avear but again I would like to leave from pattaya not bkk especially now with protests. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Lucky lucky last time. The 5 times I have taken bus trips to visit the WAT, the buses crashed every time with dozens of deaths. RIP in anticipation.

Lol what a jaded comment. No i am concerned that the mini bus is full of usually very fat fallong and I am 6'4" and would rather ride for 6 hours plus in something more comfortable Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You can easily get a bus from Pattaya to Aranyprathet, do a quick Google search. Then take a private taxi to Siem Reap, it's about 50 USD and the road is perfect. You'll probably be able to share a taxi. The nightmare van rides you heard about are from years and years ago before the road was paved. There are all kinds of choices of hotels in the main town of Siem Reap, do a Google search or use Agoda or whatever. There's one star to five star hotels, and something near Pub Street is a good location. You'll have to hire a tuk-tuk or taxi to get to the temple complex regardless of where you stay. Get a guide as well.

You can take the Mukdahan Bus from the bus terminal at Pattaya North Rd and go until Aranyaprathet. There you will need to get from the bus station to border. There will be discussion with tuktuk drivers or the motorbike taxi folks.

For the border scams and evisa try the usual travel forums or google.

On the other side of the border you might hire a taxi or two depending on the size of the group. The famous scam bus will steal a lot of time from you and you might also be detained by the company in their SR "compound" in order to extort more money.

You can book online numerous hotels in the center of SR no problem.

I doubt that you will be able to rent a Van all the way to SR because of the border and law. If they saw so, it means they have another Van waiting on the other side.

You could, of course, also hire a Van in Pattaya to go directly to the border. Friends of mine did this years ago and it made sense financially. Plus you avoid the bus station tuktuk drivers.

SR has probably well over a million tourists per year and is a fully developed tourist center with all you might possibly need. So no worries. People who tell otherwise usually want to scare you in buying something overprices be it a transfer, a room, a guide, a tuktuk to the temples whatever you can think of.

Do a little reading about Angkor or get an official guide.

Depending on your time budget you might also like some more remote temples (Koh Ker for example).

Get up really early and be at the park around 5 AM. Then get back around noon, take a break and return around 3.30 to 4 pm to the park for the sunsets.

PM me if you like some more info and links to websites. Cambodia trips are very popular when it comes to play games. Seems failed real estate guys found a place where they can still use their lack of ethics. ;)

Have fun. Angkor is a unique place and you will always remember it.

Hi, why don't You change Your mind ? With Bangkok Airways it's about an hour or so..I think I paid (June last Year for a roundtrip about 6000 baht). Visa on arrival. Hotel pick You up at the airport. As another post said stay in the city..so You can just walk to the restaurants etc. Look at Agoda. One day taxi to the temples 10 US. Take a bus, hire a taxi here and there probably the same price in the end and it'takes a lot of time :)

i respect if You are scared of taking an airplane, if that's the case just ignore my post.. have a good trip..

I just came back from four days in Siem Reap. Get a hotel in the centre of town. There a several to choose from. A real nice one is Royal Crown Hotel and Spa where I stayed. Or if you prefer a cheaper but still clean and close to everything - Mekong Boutique Hotel.

Do not make a booking with Legacy Air. I did that mistake because I liked the convenience of going to Utapao as I live in Bang Saray. But the only thing Legacy Air does is to book you on a flight on Angkor Air and you have to go to Bangkok anyway! Legacy Air promised to pay for the taxi fees, but they did not!! If you want to fly with Angkor Air, better book with them directly and save some money. Legacy Air is a scam.

Should I book a tour guide prior to arriving? Any recommendations on English speaking guides? Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not necessary, plenty around.

When I was there a long time ago, we had a tour guide that spoke good English and we also had one of those motorbike rickshaws. We booked everything in the morning via the hotel and off we went.

So how do you get over there? By chartered helicopter?

I just came back from four days in Siem Reap. Get a hotel in the centre of town. There a several to choose from. A real nice one is Royal Crown Hotel and Spa where I stayed. Or if you prefer a cheaper but still clean and close to everything - Mekong Boutique Hotel.

Do not make a booking with Legacy Air. I did that mistake because I liked the convenience of going to Utapao as I live in Bang Saray. But the only thing Legacy Air does is to book you on a flight on Angkor Air and you have to go to Bangkok anyway! Legacy Air promised to pay for the taxi fees, but they did not!! If you want to fly with Angkor Air, better book with them directly and save some money.

I just called Lagacy, they said they fly out of Utapao. I think every other day. 0920 087 508

Well, that is the problem. They tell you that they fly from Utapao. That is what they told me too. And I booked the flight and paid for it. Then the day before my flight they mailed and told me that the flight was with Angkor Air from Suvarnabhumi. So, what they tell you is not true!

Well, that is the problem. They tell you that they fly from Utapao. That is what they told me too. And I booked the flight and paid for it. Then the day before my flight they mailed and told me that the flight was with Angkor Air from Suvarnabhumi. So, what they tell you is not true!

Well I believe you since it is run by Russians now.