Racing in Thailand

bazmlb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you need a roll cage for the drift events ? & do you know if you need the racing license to enter in the gymkhana events ? I know you don't need a roll cage to go to Bira circuit in your street car on any day if you want to go practice. Would like to know because nearly finished getting my 1982 KE70 Toyota Corolla ready for some fun. Cheers. Couple of photos of her... attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389685081.192524.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389685127.274677.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As for the Cage, Definitely not for gymkhana, but yes for any of the drift series.

How about a 1UZ?

not really what i am looking for, trying to get away from a Nissan motor and back to a BM motor

Nissan didn't make the 1UZ.

I am not saying they did, but I don't want to go from a Nissan motor to a Toyota, the goal is to get a BM donk back in there.

Do you need a roll cage for the drift events ? & do you know if you need the racing license to enter in the gymkhana events ? I know you don't need a roll cage to go to Bira circuit in your street car on any day if you want to go practice. Would like to know because nearly finished getting my 1982 KE70 Toyota Corolla ready for some fun. Cheers. Couple of photos of her... attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389685081.192524.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389685127.274677.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Gymkhana discussion continues here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/696627-gymkhana-trial-4-bangkok/

cheers dude

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Do you need a roll cage for the drift events ? & do you know if you need the racing license to enter in the gymkhana events ? I know you don't need a roll cage to go to Bira circuit in your street car on any day if you want to go practice. Would like to know because nearly finished getting my 1982 KE70 Toyota Corolla ready for some fun. Cheers.Couple of photos of her...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389685081.192524.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389685127.274677.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Very nice KE70 you got there!! Silver or Blacktop 4AGE you running? Seems like there firewall is untouched? I looking at doing something like yours on my stock standard KE70 I brought last year. Car scene seems to be a bit more quiet up north as I in Lampang... Another option is keep looking for one that been done up, as it might be cheaper in the long run. You done all the work yourself in yours?

Hi,

Where did you source all the parts for the 5-stud E36 brake conversion?

Cheers

I do not have the entry information yet for each series, but will post it once available.

The costs per day can vary per series, on average it is 3,000 baht per race day, and an extra 500 baht to practise on the Friday prior to races.

Fuel? as an example a car of 800kg and 240hp consumes over 6,000 baht of racing fuel per weekend, so without tyres you are up for nearly 13,000 baht for a weekend.

Having sponsors help in covering costs and also provides them with a way to showcase their brand and have a day where they can invite clients along to an event where they are a sponsor.

EBC brakes have kindly provided a set of brake pads for the car so far, just about every car in the Nitto series selects EBC to use, a different set will be needed once the car gets a brake upgrade to Disc/Disc, BMW E36 discs will be fitted front and rear and a 7 series master cylinder, the 7 series was chosen as the lines are 10mm, the M series E36 uses 12mm and would require different couplings.

The brake conversion is fairly simple:

For the front, a wheel bearing change is done and E36 rotors fitted, adapter plates fitted to position the E36 calipers correctly for the new discs are also fitted.

The Rear gets new swing arms from an E36 complete, making a fairly easy conversion, this also changes the car to 5 stud wheels as opposed to the standard 4 stud. The Handbrake is the only difficult part as we are going from drum to disc.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you need a roll cage for the drift events ? & do you know if you need the racing license to enter in the gymkhana events ? I know you don't need a roll cage to go to Bira circuit in your street car on any day if you want to go practice. Would like to know because nearly finished getting my 1982 KE70 Toyota Corolla ready for some fun. Cheers.Couple of photos of her...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389685081.192524.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389685127.274677.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Very nice KE70 you got there!! Silver or Blacktop 4AGE you running? Seems like there firewall is untouched? I looking at doing something like yours on my stock standard KE70 I brought last year. Car scene seems to be a bit more quiet up north as I in Lampang... Another option is keep looking for one that been done up, as it might be cheaper in the long run. You done all the work yourself in yours?

Hi man,

Thank you very much. Sorry for the late reply I check this thread all the time but only on my phone & didn't even see your post ! It is a Blacktop 4AG-E. Yeah I am not sure of the car scene up north. When we go back to my wifes home in Roi-Et don't really see many old cars or anything as well. Khon Kaen seems to have a few. It has took me quite a while to get into the scene but it is getting better & better. On the firewall it has not been modified and doesn't need to be with the right cooling set up. I would just look for one that is in good condition and had all the hard work done. 90% of them have 4AGE 16v in them. I didn't put the motor or anything in mine it was done at a very good shop but can't seem to remember the name !. I bought it like this with it pretty much everything done to a very high standard with genuine parts. I was looking for months before I found it & it is a KE70 from Japan. I have been upgrading the suspension, new exhaust quite a few things on the interior etc. I am keeping it as period correct as possible so finding the parts I want takes a while, but its part of the fun !

I am more of a 'street racer' and have never been to the track or entered any events, but that is going to change. Planning on entering some Gymkhana and getting some time on the track. I dont have a roll cage & dont really want one but see what happens and will probably end up getting one if it is going to restrict my chances of entering stuff. I hope to put it in some shows and car meets but it all comes down to if it fits with my roster of work.

cheers

Some more photos -- ( the dash picture is a little old, have put a new drivers seat in)

post-146097-0-02148700-1391050376_thumb.

post-146097-0-84590900-1391050495_thumb.

• Like 1

Cool thanks.

I just seen on Gymkhana X that the date has been moved again from the 9th of Feb to the 16th of Feb.

IS there any where to go practice in Bangkok? I have found quite a big open area that is free (sometimes there is a bus/truck parked in there because there is a bus depot across the road) and set out a few tires and done a few laps but I'm not sure if I am really allowed to be doing it. The surface is not the best also. So anyone know of any other places to go ? I know they do the D-1 drift competitions HERE but can you go there also for a drive ?

thanks

Is a race suit now required to enter Gymkhana events ?

No it isnt, you dont need a helmet either, optional

That was just for the practice Baz. It's very easy going there...

For the events (Gym X) you do need a helmet, and for some of the classes you need to wear a suit also. Next year you will apparnetly need a suit for all classes in Gym X.

If the event is a Nitto event you only need to wear a helmet.

• Like 1

Actually no.

They have new (big) sponsors this year and some famous Japanese guy is coming to do an event as well, so i think their hand was sort of forced.

But usual Thai style, they only put the announcement out about the suit less than 2 weeks before the first scheduled event. So a lot of people were unhappy - me included.

A GYM X organiser must be a racewear dealer:whistling:

He is trying to make a better image for media and photos at the event to gain more publicity, like wearing a suit to a business function, it comes across a lot better and also helps in obtaining sponsors to run the event and make it better for everyone.