Fan in the micro oven

ezzra

Have you read the manual? Maybe that's what it's supposed to do.

What make/model is it?

It's a Whirlpool Pizzolo model, and it was working fine with the fan starting

when cooking start, but not now, it take the fan it a while to get going...

Some microwave fans don't kick on until the heat within the unit reaches a certain temperature, but normally that temperature is pretty low like around 115F. A thermostat in the unit determines when the minimum temperature has been reached. However, the microwave ovens I have owned and the one I currently own the exhaust fan turns on immediately. If the fan is suppose to kick on immediately the problem could be a bad main control board, fan, or thermostat...on even magnetron.

Does the magnetron still seem to cook food as fast as before or takes much longer? If taking a lot longer maybe it ain't working at full power which is preventing the need for the fan to kickout on immediately? However, the microwaves I have had owned always use the magentron at full power when energized and simulate lower power settings (i.e., like 50% power) by turning the magnetron off and on for certain lengths of time and the fan keep running during those periods when you could here the click turning the magnetron off for a while. Like for 50% power the magnetron may be on 15 seconds followed by 15 seconds off time....then this cycle repeats....but my fan always keep running during the off time...and as mentioned, it always turned on immediately when starting to nuke something.

Thank to all on goo advice, I think soon, I will have no choice but to schlepp this beast

to the repair shop for a look over, just to safe, and if I can find a reasonably priced

good size and powerful replacement, I will retire this one for good...

quite possibly the fan bearings have become sticky with old oil from the bearings. If you can get to the fan, try spinning it with a finger and see how easily it spins. If the fan is sticky, it won't freely spin for several seconds.

If it is relatively easy to get to the fan, a light penetrating oil can "loosen" the oil and restore the fan to normal operation.

a good oil for this is ATF (automatic transmission fluid). use sparingly.