Rats in the 31. floor?!

arnestockholm

Hello,

well I had some real strange experience last night. Well I am staying in Bangkok and in the same condo since nearly 2 years. And really feeling very comfortable here. The condo is a very well maintained one and I would say my condo is also very well cleaned. But last night I woke up from a very strange sound. It first sounds something or some one is running around the condo when I wake up. But than I locate the sound in the ceiling over me. It sounds like a not to small animal is running around and doing some fieping or squeaking sounds over and over again. I trie to find it when using a light to see in the AirCondition vent but does not see anything. But when I use a broom to knock on the ceiling its running around. I have to admit that this sounds a bit scary for me. So I moved to another sleeping room in the condo. As mentioned its in the 31. floor. What could it be? A rat?

Any idea how to deal with it? Should I start a manhunt or any other options? Thanks for your help!! Greetings, Arne

Sorry for you... for 1 rat you can see, there are 100 you don't!

Check if your neighbours do have the same visits, because treating only your appartment is not a long time solution.

You're never more than six feet away from a rat (the four legged type) in the UK, in the City the numbers are seriously scary, makes you think what Bangkok must be like by comparison:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20716625

Condo management should handle in a well managed property.

Having said that, I was in a well known Chinese restaurant on Sukhumvit near Asoke recently and there were rats thundering up and down the ceiling....

I lived in a Bangkok fruit forest for many years and had an army of rats to contend with that stole full blocks of soap and other large items.
I used to catch them in a Thai-style metal rat trap - a large metal box, luring them in with fresh squid, then take them for diving lessons in the irrigation canals that ran through the garden. None of them passed the class.

One evening a visiting friend left the lid off the rice pot and one of the rats dropped in for a meal, dipping its paws in and out to grab the rice and eat it. Wld've been cute if it weren't a rat. Other than invading the property, none of them actually came anywhere near me intentionally. The owner, who lived next door, did nothing about them.

• Like 1

This is Thailand... Rats have probably scurried over the beer you drink, the food you eat and the house you live in.... Get a cat and be done with eat.... My mousers did a great job till my cat hating Norwegian neighbor took it upon himself to kill them....

• Like 1

You can buy rat traps very inexpensively here, they comprise a mat that is coated with a very sticky substances which traps the rat after a short while the rat will die. Our previous landlord used them in a house we stayed in and they work very well.

Yes they work great, as long as you don't mind hearing the rats screaming for 24 hours as they try and free themselves (biting their limbs off if necessary). Illegal in some western countries.

Yes they work great, as long as you don't mind hearing the rats screaming for 24 hours as they try and free themselves (biting their limbs off if necessary). Illegal in some western countries.

Utter nonsense, it's a silent process, there is no sudden pain, unlike reading your posts!

Join me outside my neighbour's kitchen and explain the 'silence'. I didn't say sudden, so your insult doesn't really work...

I have the same problem.

Two alternatives:

1. If the security guard is from the North East Thailand, ask him to catch it. The next day they will be selling barbequed rat kebabs outside your condo.

2. You can buy "Trap-A-RAT" Plastic Glue Mats in Tesco and Tesco express. Just bung them up in the ceiling void with a small piece of fish such as sardine. When you catch them put them in a plastic bag and throw the mat in the dust bin.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

We live in a house in a country village, every now and again we heard scurrying sounds up in the roof area, above the ceilings. The problem got worse and worse until it sounded like a small army marching around up there. I opened the trap door and put our cat in, 24 hours later complete silence.

Occasionally the same thing happens, scurrying noise, in with the cat, quick time problem solved.

Now I often find the cat sitting on the floor gazing up at the trap door, obviously wanting to go back for some more fun.

I say get a cat.

Unless the cat retrieves the dead bodies, you are going from one problem to another, IMHO, worse one. There are few thngs worse than a decaying rat carcass that is inaccessible to you. It is the big drawback with using poison for vermin as they will seek out a place to die.

The sticky baited mats are good in this respect..............wink.png

• Like 2

Utter nonsense, it's a silent process, there is no sudden pain, unlike reading your posts!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! excellent answer!

You can buy rat poison. It's small pink pellets and very cheap. Just leave them scattered around near where you think the rats are. They will soon find them. They work great and you never see or hear of them again. But we warned, Don't tell your wife about it as she may add it to your food if you have money or are insured.

Use "Stun" rat bait (Green) sold in Tesco Lotus. The rat will have to drink water before the poison activates. Therefore, it won't die in your ceiling, but somewhere near the drain. Works better than Ars (pink).

Be careful if you have pets or kids around.

Sorry for you... for 1 rat you can see, there are 100 you don't!

Check if your neighbours do have the same visits, because treating only your appartment is not a long time solution.

You're never more than six feet away from a rat (the four legged type) in the UK, in the City the numbers are seriously scary, makes you think what Bangkok must be like by comparison:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20716625

eh?

The article you link to says 'Assuming you're standing at a given spot in an urban area you would be at most 164ft (50m) away.

Saying you're always 164ft away from a rat doesn't have quite as much of a fear factor as 6ft away, but it's much more of a realistic estimate.'

• Like 1

Sorry to disagree. While in Brunei, as I left my house I heard this screeching and saw an army? of rats glued to the top of a gate post. I don't like rats, but this seems a bit cruel. I used to catch them in a cage trap( they seem to loves bread soaked in fish sauce) and give them a sporting chance when I let my dog do what dogs do. A few got away with it but not many. All over in a trice.

Sorry to disagree. While in Brunei, as I left my house I heard this screeching and saw an army? of rats glued to the top of a gate post. I don't like rats, but this seems a bit cruel. I used to catch them in a cage trap( they seem to loves bread soaked in fish sauce) and give them a sporting chance when I let my dog do what dogs do. A few got away with it but not many. All over in a trice.

You're right, your approach seems much more palatable and humane!