Warning from CIMB Thai: Baht 'could come under severe pressure'

webfact

A 3% move from 33. What am I missing? Is that considered large in currency trading?

depends how much money you are moving around. quite a big deal for me atm

Good point... it is 2kB for us more each month, and I doubt rents will go up to match. Medicines and local food, maybe. Imports certainly.

I think we can assume that whether the election takes place or not next month, it will be the end of february at the earliest before we could see a new govt, with that uncertainy there will be no upward trend for the baht before march and that assumes the elction goes ahead. Even if it does will the PRDC acept that result? Does not seem likely so unrest is still there and the baht weakens further. I see no signs in the forseeable future that the downturn will reverse, indeed next week it could accelerate even more. The forseeable future by the way I think to be june and would not be surprised if went on past that a way as well. Not much will change until the politicians sort out the way forward, what hope do you see of that and when?

In the mean time, we will still benefit from the decline of the baht, the other question is would you take adavantage of the weak baht to bring money in or is the situation just to volatile? I think a lot of us here are ponder this very point.

To think this time last year this board was full of blokes promising 30 baht to the £ was on its way facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif pagespeed_url_hash=4031585225 width=24 height=18>

Errrr... it did go under 30.coffee1.gif

29.11 on April 25th 2013

http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/USD-THB-25_04_2013-exchange-rate-history.html

Edited by allan michaud

To think this time last year this board was full of blokes promising 30 baht to the £ was on its way facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif pagespeed_url_hash=4031585225 width=24 height=18>

The baht dropped to under 30 for a pound?

Do tell when did this happen? BS

A 3% move from 33. What am I missing? Is that considered large in currency trading?

The baht has gone from 43 to £1 to 54 in a matter of months, a 20% swing. Whilst preeminent there is more to world currency than the dollar. Even with the dollar its a 15% swing, not 3% as you say - and yeah that is considered rather large in the space of barely 6 months.

Errrr... it did go under 30.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2220208811 width=32 height=24>

The baht dropped to under 30 for a pound?

Do tell when did this happen? BS

The baht has gone from 43 to £1 to 54 in a matter of months, a 20% swing. Whilst preeminent there is more to world currency than the dollar. Even with the dollar its a 15% swing, not 3% as you say - and yeah that is considered rather large in the space of barely 6 months.

my mistake, I thought he put dollars.

• Like 2

Yeah actually i knew this would happen, because when one thing is for sure then this: Thailand cannot exist with at least one major crisis per year. But there´s always sunshine after the rain.

I´m just tired of the "hooorrray Thailand is falling apart choir"

Those that exclaim ""hooorrray, Thailand is falling apart" most likely would cheer the pain and suffering of others regardless of the situation, cause or outcome. Certain groups get nourishment from violence, chaos and negativism which, in turn feeds the beast called hate, bigotry and destruction.

I am sad to see turmoil and discord in any society and watch with the hope that this crisis is ended peacefully and swiftly.

There is a distinct difference between opinion and hate. Civility and compassion for the present situation is an alternative. Unfortunately, for some, those behaviors and beliefs don't exist or are muted.

Yeah actually i knew this would happen, because when one thing is for sure then this: Thailand cannot exist with at least one major crisis per year. But there´s always sunshine after the rain.

Those that exclaim ""hooorrray, Thailand is falling apart" most likely would cheer the pain and suffering of others regardless of the situation, cause or outcome. Certain groups get nourishment from violence, chaos and negativism which, in turn feeds the beast called hate, bigotry and destruction.

I am sad to see turmoil and discord in any society and watch with the hope that this crisis is ended peacefully and swiftly.

There is a distinct difference between opinion and hate. Civility and compassion for the present situation is an alternative. Unfortunately, for some, those behaviors and beliefs don't exist or are muted.

Nothing to do with hate, all about making money.

Anyway, they won't let me join their country, so why should I give a flying @#$% about them.

While I'm making money, it's good.

PS

How many Thais felt sorry for you when the exchange rate was bad.

Did immigration let you keep less money in the bank, did they heck!

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

Well as we are reminded repeatedly. Its their country, falangs don't get involved bla bla bla.

Just sit down and enjoy the view as these idiots wreck the country for a month or so. Its funny. Falangs who do nothing but give to the country being told to <deleted> off by thais who seem very content to steal beg and rob fron their country.

And we are supposedly the enemy. Lol

• Like 2

I wouldn't buy a new car. Not with Thailand importing 90% of their fuel. See how much the petrol prices go up. And if petrol goes up, everything goes up. A dollar a litre is a dollar a litre anywhere..

A diesel one then........ it has been 29.999999999999 for quite a while now.

It's been 30.43 in Phuket for ages.

Thats the FAT..

Farang Added Tax smile.png

up country my location its been 30.59-30.71 without the farang added tax!

£1.00 = 54.43 THB as of now. Interesting to see how this stands by the end of the week.

For everyones sake, I hope the currency remains fairly stable and that Tourists are not put off in coming to Thailand. I for one, wouldnt be, I'd just avoid Bangkok.

29.11 on April 25th 2013

http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/USD-THB-25_04_2013-exchange-rate-history.html

Someone needs to check what currencies they are quoting !!

The Baht has been overvalued for years, and nothing, from economic woes to disastrous policies such as the rice mortgage scheme, from the 2006 coup - popular though it was - to the 2010 demonstrations, blockades and arson, has had the slightest impact. The recent falls, while long overdue, are hardly indicative of a trend that will be accelerated by just another political crisis.

Unless CIMB is privileged to sensitive inside information.