Pizza Company - Delivery Charge

Yaaklenmai

This is the very reason tipping should be banned.

Rather, service charges should be banned, not tipping. In many cases, restaurants keep the service charges, which is bizarre since the elevated price of restaurant food (compared to the cost of making yourself) already includes the various labour costs involved. So these restaurants have basically usurped the money that used to go to lowly-paid service staff....

They also tried that with flights...

The flight is super cheap but at the end they add, airport charge, security charge, luggage charge, etc etc it was banned in many countries.....

Same counts for restaurant...someone should make the joke and tell he don't pay the service charge, he orders direct in the kitchen and picks it up there biggrin.png

Firstly, I agree with what some are saying about percentage tipping in Thailand. Tipping 150b to a pizza delivery driver is just... nuts!! Over the years I have watched the delivery charge go from 20b (already pushing it coz it should be free really especially considering how overpriced pizzas are to start with compared with other food in Thailand), to 30b (starting to get silly), and now recently it has increased to 40b which is quite franky ridiculous.

Anyone who compares prices or tipping to the US or any other western culture is missing the point. Thailand is not a tipping culture, and people who over tip are not repsected by Thai people, in fact as others have stated, it just makes us look like mugs. And when people start to *expect tips* without increasing the level of service accordingly, and the tippees start jointly deciding amongst themselves what constitutes and *acceptable or mandatory* tip then we find ourselves in a situation like the USA is in now. A very slippery slope. Mr "Not in Kansas Anymore" please stop it because ultimately you're just urinating in the water supply.

Returning to topic, I order 1112, 1150, 1711 etc WAY less now than before thanks to the ridiculous charges, which helps my wallet and my health no doubt. However when I do, I do always tip the driver but the amount is less now on average due to the new charges. And usually it is whatever coins are left in relation to the bill, and certainly never more than 20!

best of luck with your health and your wallet....................things change. when we do, then we really notice. change is good. one can clearly see those who never had to live and support themselves and families from tips. fact is, we don't have any consistent clue on what management does with any money add on to our charges. if you can't afford it, try doing without. that works without hiding behind any culture story. I've yet to meet one person anywhere on Earth that hasn't turned profit from, doing without. it is a virtue. cultures change, grow and advance, people, places and things. not one thing in your post brushes near anything but what is about you. boring person, with narrow mind. closed to any new thought. are you the water supply? if so, agree, there is already enough urine.

• Like 1

Tipping the delivery driver will make his day. He will tell everyone in the store, and come home tell his wife about his awesome day. I tip in the usa $5 in good weather and $6-10 if the weather is bad. I cannot see myself ever tipping less even if in thailand. So minimum 150 bahts. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What do you need I will deliver it now.

• Like 2

This is the very reason tipping should be banned.

Rather, service charges should be banned, not tipping.

Banning either of them would work... the point is that the customer shouldn't have try and figure out who gets what, as it tends to spoil the meal/taxi ride etc.

I tip them anyway.

Curiously I asked one of them last week when they deliovered my Pizza - they DON'T get the 40 baht, they work for minimum wage - I would suspect the P Comoany keeps it for upkeep on the Motorcycles and heating elements..........and I may add that this is a strange subject - Who would think for one minute the driver got the 'delivery charge' in Thailand?? And I agree wih one poster on the 'dog poop' entries, "Get a Life" it's as if they have nothing else to do with themselves 'cept to criticize and bombard us with vulgarity ................ okay that may not even be a real word, but it fits some people.............

Tipping the delivery driver will make his day. He will tell everyone in the store, and come home tell his wife about his awesome day. I tip in the usa $5 in good weather and $6-10 if the weather is bad. I cannot see myself ever tipping less even if in thailand. So minimum 150 bahts.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I do tip and I am happy to make someone happy. But timing 150 thb is ridiculously high. That is spoiling the market and in my view over tipping is not a sign of respect. It's showing off and showing power... I think we have enough of that in Thailand. TIP: Tip 40-60 baht to the delivery Guy will make you look nice, and not like ignorant "farang".

I supported my wife and child from tips for 4 years. I noticed those who have had to live on tips tend to tip more.

You are being timed and have to drive safely. Most likely fired if you get in a accident. You don't get the delivery charge. Customers pissed that order took so long even though you probably broke some traffic laws to get it there. Half the customers want exact change back.

It's a horrible stressful job that pays next to nothing. So i do not see myself as ignorant for wanting to tip that much. I tip that much because i know their pain.

Go without if you cannot tip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From talking to Thais and from what I have read the service charge at all restaurants that is automatically added to your

bill goes to the restaurant owner and not the staff. Well, he may use it to pay the staff but it is not over and above there

wages. So I would suspect it is the same for the pizza delivery guys. The money may be used to fund there salaries but

not over and above there hourly wage and mileage. blink.png

From talking to Thais and from what I have read the service charge at all restaurants that is automatically added to your

bill goes to the restaurant owner and not the staff. Well, he may use it to pay the staff but it is not over and above there

wages. So I would suspect it is the same for the pizza delivery guys. The money may be used to fund there salaries but

Service charge is not a delivery charge.

Thank you. Anyone that does not want to pay for delivery, can run down and pick up it up.

I doubt the delivery charge is a big profit center for Pizza Co. They have to pay the salary of the delivery guy, cost of fuel and equipment (whether they own it or not) and take the hit for anything delivered late. Why should they not charge extra for delivery? Also, why should they give it to the driver? They already pay the driver whatever the driver agreed to work for.

People that don't want to tip do not have to tip, but they do have to pay for delivery, what's wrong with that?

Thank you. Anyone that does not want to pay for delivery, can run down and pick up it up.

I doubt the delivery charge is a big profit center for Pizza Co. They have to pay the salary of the delivery guy, cost of fuel and equipment (whether they own it or not) and take the hit for anything delivered late. Why should they not charge extra for delivery? Also, why should they give it to the driver? They already pay the driver whatever the driver agreed to work for.

People that don't want to tip do not have to tip, but they do have to pay for delivery, what's wrong with that?

My girlfriend will often tip people or give/offer them a bottle of water if someone's doing some work for us or helping us out in some way.

Speaking of which I just ordered a pizza from the Pizza Company about 10 minutes ago, it should be here soon.

The way the American system turned out is exactly what you would expect from a culture based on extreme greed and entitlement, it's not like that in the rest of the world.

Thongkorn, on 11 Jan 2014 - 18:50, said:Thongkorn, on 11 Jan 2014 - 18:50, said:

all that fabulous Thai food and you are eating sh.t , your choice your money i supposes.

again comparing Thailand with the UK ,

Hmmmmm......specially when they staff it with chilly peppers and you need the fire brigade to put the fire out!

Doesn't matter if you tell them Mai pet....just ignore you.

Again.....I live in Isaan.......may be it's different in the "elite" parts of Thailand!

Here in Pattaya, the pizza comes sans peppers, at least at NY Pizza on 3rd Road. Classic and delicious. The diver gets a rip from me in consideration of him negotiating the chaos driving it to my abode.

As for "elite", Issan is a lovely place where I plan on relocating later in the year. Wonderful people and elite in my book. And I mean that in a complimentary way. :)

Edited by Benmart

An interesting sidenote: Thais are apparently the biggest tippers in Asia (see, for example, http://www.travelandleisureasia.com/travel_news/1511158/thais_are_asias_top_tippers.html). My gf will even leave some baht in the room when we check out for the hotel staff... I always thought that was a nice touch that never occurred to me in my pre-Thailand days.

An interesting sidenote: Thais are apparently the biggest tippers in Asia (see, for example, http://www.travelandleisureasia.com/travel_news/1511158/thais_are_asias_top_tippers.html). My gf will even leave some baht in the room when we check out for the hotel staff... I always thought that was a nice touch that never occurred to me in my pre-Thailand days.

I've noticed my girlfried doing the exact same thing - when we're about to check out just before we leave the room she goes back into the bedroom to leave a tip under the pillow for the cleaner. She said she puts it under the pillow so the cleaner will find it instead of the guy who checks the room / minibar during the checkout process.

Edited by ukrules

The way the American system turned out is exactly what you would expect from a culture based on extreme greed and entitlement, it's not like that in the rest of the world.

Yeah, in the US I can get a wide variety of fresh, healthy foods in most any area of the county, most any time of the year. I can buy strawberries in December at a market in Alaska, and fresh salmon in August at a market in Arizona. I can also go to to a clean restaurant most anywhere in the county and get a great meal prepared to order, and delivered to my table steaming hot by a competent and friendly server.

You're right, it's not like that in the rest of the world.

Edited by mogandave
  • Like 2

A delivery charge is a delivery charge and I'm not going to pay for the same thing twice. If an unscrupulous employer is playing games with money that's supposed to be compensating his delivery people, it's on him and between him and those employees. I refuse to let him/them make it MY problem. Here, US, UK, Pizza Hut, Pizza Co., Pizzas-R-Us, Mon, Thu, Sat, full moon, low tide, Christmas, Kwanza, Ground Hog Day ... doesn't matter. If there's a delivery charge on the bill, no tip unless there's something above & beyond deserving of one. And mere on-time delivery of a still warm pizza is expected, not above & beyond. Pizza Hut even has (or had, I assume they still do) the eggs to say on their website that tipping, over & above their delivery charge, IS expected! What BS!! So, I don't order out from Pizza Hut, and somehow life goes on. Back in the states - those exceptionally and uniquely greedy states, lol - they've got plenty of competition not pulling the same scam anyway.

Edited by hawker9000

We tip 150. I could care less if it ruins it for other expats. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Awesome :-).

Sad others do not understand. Go pick it up if you refuse to tip.

We tip 150. I could care less if it ruins it for other expats. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I tip. But I wouldn't tip 150 baht. I hardly see how tipping 150 baht for a 300-400 baht pizza is helpful in the long term. The attitude doesn't really sit well either tbh.

I tip. But I wouldn't tip 150 baht. I hardly see how tipping 150 baht for a 300-400 baht pizza is helpful in the long term. The attitude doesn't really sit well either tbh.

That's okay as long as you see the importance of tipping a delivery driver. I tip above the normal amount just because I did that job for 4 years and it sucked.

The delivery charge is a scam in all countries. In the end the customers who refuse to tip because of it only hurting the driver(the company cares less).

I see all my Thai friends tip at restaurants, when getting a pizza delivered and even in a coffee shop with a "tip" jar also at hotels for the maid. I always do the same. Some people tell me the delivery guy gets a part of delivery fee. I usually tip about 40 baht more. They do not think I'm nuts but do think non tippers are cheap. I am in Bangkok and not in the sticks. The guy who says he tips a minimum 150 baht is just trying to get you all going and pissed off. He is lying but it really does get people on here so upset. How people can turn this simple thread into saying America is a culture of entitlement is really plain ignorance. How can you generalize about over 310 million people? . Why can't different countries and cultures have different systems? I don't. Think pizza here is very good anyways.

• Like 1

Awesome :-).Sad others do not understand. Go pick it up if you refuse to tip.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
Awesome :-).Sad others do not understand. Go pick it up if you refuse to tip.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
I usually order 3 or 4 pizzas.

That's okay as long as you see the importance of tipping a delivery driver. I tip above the normal amount just because I did that job for 4 years and it sucked.

The delivery charge is a scam in all countries. In the end the customers who refuse to tip because of it only hurting the driver(the company cares less).

Wrong. It's the employer hurting the driver. Not the guy paying his bills.

Wrong. It's the employer hurting the driver. Not the guy paying his bills.

How does that make sense? 2 wrongs do not make right. By you refusing to tip the company still got there delivery fee and you got your food. So the only loser is the driver.

Pick up your food if you do not want to tip.

• Like 1

I wonder this in restaurants as well.

Often they will automatically add 10% to your bill. I assume it is going to the waiter, considering they were the one who gave me service. But who knows. I usually drop a bit more just so I don't seem like an <deleted>.