Schengen question for Thais living in UK with work visas

The cook in our local Thai restaurant has asked me to get some info on applying for a Schengen visa for him and his wife. They live here legally and both have the necessary work permit/whatever it's called here.

His Mum who lives in Thailand intends to visit them in the UK in March. She already has both a UK visitor's visa and a Schengen visa for herself.

What they would like to do is for his Mum to come to the UK first and then all three of them visit first Germany then France.

He and his wife have previously applied successfully for visas to Germany to watch a footie match (he's bonkers about the Bundesliga facepalm.gif )

What does he need to do that they can do this please? If he gets a visa from the German Embassy will it allow him and his wife to visit France? Is it a Schengen visa?

All help much appreciated.

I second that: a visa delivered by any of the Schengen nations ( that includes France and Germany) is a pass for the whole territory

However, the visa has to be applied with the representation of the country where the stay will be the longest.

In any case, if they are legit in the UK, the visa should be granted without any difficulties as they have a steady job and address to go back to.

Edited by alyx

Doesn't really matter; as beano says they should apply to the country they will be spending the longest time in; or the only country they'll be visiting if it's just one.

So if flying direct to Germany, they apply to Germany; if travelling through other countries to get to Germany, they still apply to Germany.

Unless touring in more than one country, in which case they apply to the first country they'll enter.

As already said; once issued a Schengen visa is valid for all the Schengen states.

Unless touring in more than one country, in which case they apply to the first country they'll enter.

Just be aware that at least one consulate in Bangkok will not process the application, but will still retain the fee, if an applicant intends to enter via that country and spends even hours longer in another Schengen Area country whilst touring.

is not the first country they arrive in they get it from but the country they will be staying the longest in

Isn't it what I said exactly? Actually in answer to your post stating they should have no problem getting a visa from the German consular section

My second remark was meant to point out that, not only they might not spend the longest time in Germany but also they would not to enter Schengen via Germany, unless flying there from UK

I will also add that, even in the case of a ( personal ) tour they have to apply with the nation where the most time will be spent or, if the number of days are equal, with the first Schengen nation intended to be crossed

Edited by alyx

Just be aware that at least one consulate in Bangkok will not process the application, but will still retain the fee, if an applicant intends to enter via that country and spends even hours longer in another Schengen Area country whilst touring.

I second that