will we be effected?

cashpower

i am flying to bangkok today with my wife to stay for 5 days at the shangrila hotel executive suite to do some shopping and then heading off towards the southern parts to look at purchasing a few condos. will this shut down effect us? if it does i am going to be EXTREMELY upset. we have paid for childcare , tickets, and many other things to organize this trip. i will write to the thailand government if we are effected in any way and we will take our investment money elsewhere. we dont want our trip ruined by a few selfish people who dont think of others. thanks for any advise.

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would cut the shopping short and head for the condo purchases first, the Shang is within easy walking distance of the BTS so you should be ok getting around the major shopping (it was however packed at 6AM today).

• Like 1

thankyou crossy, is the bts public transport? we are not really comfortable with public transport and would prefer a driver. we have already payed for the hotel

The BTS and MRT are indeed public transport (metro rail), easy to use and cheap, going to be very busy though.

Driving around BKK is going to be a nightmare as major intersections will be blocked, you stand zero chance of getting to the central business district by road.

Oddly (or not) when I drove into town at 6.00AM this morning traffic was minimal and there was space at the park & ride, MRT was jammed mind, looks like the locals are using the two rail networks as the protesters have vowed that they won't be shut down.

It's not regular in the sense of it happening frequently, but this shutdown may last for quite some time, or descend into something even more chaotic and fraught. If you have access to a driver with intimate knowledge of Bangkok's road network, that may save you some time and frustration. Depending on where you plan to shop, however, the BTS or MRT may be the only feasible option for accessing some of the shops. Now might be a time to check out the outlier malls (Central and Mega BangNa, for example - in fact that strip of BangNa-Trat Road has huge shopping complexes and large specialty shops all along it!).

Edited by householder

The MRT might not be as busy after peak hours,say between 10.30am to 3pm when those who want to will be at work.

Also,staying at the Shangri-La you are near the river so could use a riverboat taxi to get about a bit.

Definitely dont use a driver....it could well be a nightmare.....and dont wear red or yellow clothing !

• Like 1

thanks for the information, i wish we had been told about this earlier. of course it is expected that sometimes one will encounter unexpected delays in this part of the world but as we have no interest in the local politics we should not be expected to know about every minor squirmish when seeking investment opportunities. indeed, it would have been nice if someone had let us know when the bookings were being arranged

thanks for the information, i wish we had been told about this earlier. of course it is expected that sometimes one will encounter unexpected delays in this part of the world but as we have no interest in the local politics we should not be expected to know about every minor squirmish when seeking investment opportunities. indeed, it would have been nice if someone had let us know when the bookings were being arranged

Depends how far back you booked this - the shutdown date and details was announced in the first week of January and an indication was given in December. If you booked earlier this wasn't known and so nobody could have advised you.

Had you booked between the initial concept of the shutdown being floated and today, this is perhaps something the travel agency could/should have advised you of, so that you could check the situation and decide for yourself whether to travel.

At this stage though you are unlikely to suffer any loss, only some inconvenience depending on where your itinerary takes you, and it's certainly not unsafe to travel to Bangkok in general for now. Hopefully just some delays are the absolute worst you encounter - which in fairness you would have had to deal with even without the protest, given the state of Bangkok's traffic system even on a good day! :D

Edited by householder

OP...as for me ...when I travel, I do a little research on my own....ie... google!

If you are going to be upset about the shutdown....there really is no one to blame other than yourself (and possibly your travel agent for their lack of knowledge of the situation in Thailand and failure to inform you)

You will be inconvenienced ....how much ....don't know ...but be prepared for long waits....

And NO this doesn't happen all the time....You just happened to book your trip doing a "historical" moment in time for Thailand....Enjoy it!

• Like 1

the bookings were organized by my staff and i am not aware of any warnings being given. nevertheless, we will be having some very stern words with the embassy if we are inconvenienced in any way. we were certainly not expecting to be herded onto public transportation like cattle with the local inhabitants.

I think they are all a bit pissed off about corruption. and incompetence

its a bit like brown and blair signing up for Euro and upping tax to 50 % or so. The corruption is just better hidden in the UK, or its like capital controls being imposed and the country being turnecxd into a fascist police state in the us, but they are just a bit more blatent there.

• Like 2

the bookings were organized by my staff and i am not aware of any warnings being given. nevertheless, we will be having some very stern words with the embassy if we are inconvenienced in any way. we were certainly not expecting to be herded onto public transportation like cattle with the local inhabitants.

Haha This guy is going to be raped/robbed in Thailand by local inhabitants with that attitude, and too right lol

Sure these normal poor people are extreme infectious, dirty, smelly and of course extreme dangerous. I would warn everyone of the upper class like "cashpower" to come into contact with them. And it is of course the duty of the embassy to prevent any contact with the locals crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Or maybe he is just a troll....

• Like 2