Why do I need a residency certificate when I have Retirement visa?

Floater 7

I tried to buy a new Honda scooter, had a check for the total amount, have my retirement visa good for a year, and was told I need to go get a residency certificate before I could buy. Why? I already had to establish residency to get the retirement visa.

Yes it is required. You might be able to avoid this obligation if you have registered on the house registration and can provide a signed copy of this.

I think you STILL need the residency letter but you can use that document to get the letter instead of a phone bill etc.

Because you do. This is but your first lesson in thinking passively to attain your goal of peace & happiness in Thailand.

Besides, you may have changed your address since the visa.

In which case he would have already notified immigration. rolleyes.gif

OP try not to think too much, thinking, logic and reasoning are not on the curriculum, so it won't help you.

Just do it (or not).

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

How long has this been going on ??? I have brought two car's and a M/C before and never had to show a R Certificate didn't even have a retirement Visa only a two month holiday visa for the fist car and M/C but had a 1 year visa for the second. Yes and they were all in my name.

Because you do. This is but your first lesson in thinking passively to attain your goal of peace & happiness in Thailand.

Besides, you may have changed your address since the visa.

In which case he would have already notified immigration. rolleyes.gif

You must be joking--a joke within a joke.

How long has this been going on ??? I have brought two car's and a M/C before and never had to show a R Certificate didn't even have a retirement Visa only a two month holiday visa for the fist car and M/C but had a 1 year visa for the second. Yes and they were all in my name.

At a minimum of 5 years that I can attest to, longer term members may be able to give you a more precise date or time frame

At a minimum of 5 years that I can attest to, longer term members may be able to give you a more precise date or time frame

It was required 14 years ago when I registered a vehicle in my name.

have my retirement visa good for a year

An O-A visa issued by an embassy? Or maybe an extension issued by Immigrations?

And the vendor will keep the certificate as proof of where you are residing. Unless you're buying your scooter from an Immigrations office, the fact that you have a visa, or more probably an extension, doesn't really give the vendor any evidence of where you live.

Relatively new laws or rules concerning expats often come about because some expats created a problem that required a solution. Of course it usually is a fairly small number who create the problem, but then a much larger number who end up being inconvenienced and who blame the government for the irrationality of the rules.

Similarly, for example, there are now more stringent vetting requirements for people who want ED visas or extensions. And if you want to get a marriage or retirement extension you may have to prove the money used to prove your financial viability has been in the bank for several months.

Why did these things come about? Because a lot of people were using ED visas or extensions without any plans to do much in the way of studying. And, some people were shifting large sums of money from one bank account to another days before applying for a marriage or retirement extension, so they didn't really have the money to support themselves. They just borrowed it briefly from a friend.

And there will probably be more rules coming along as a small number of farang screw-ups cause problems for the 90% who try to follow the spirit and letter of existing requirements.

So at least some of the rules that seem excessive are a consequence of problematic farangs. Other rules may not make sense to you because you don't really understand why you have to do something. Your failure to understand something doesn't mean it makes no sense.

Edited by Suradit69

The dealer needs the "certificate of residence" for the DLT, to put the book into your name.

You will always need a "certificate of residence" (or a copy of your yellow tabien baan, if any), if you transfer a bike/car, new or 2nd hand, into your name.

So simple.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I just couldn't figure the logic. Ok if I have a work permit (I am guessing because showed proof of residency for) but not for retirement visa. Went to Immigration and got two. One extra for drivers license. Now I am thinking maybe I should have got about five of them, just in case. Can I use one for drivers license AND motor cycle license? Or do I need to go back and get a third?

OP, forget logic; its their country and their rules :)

I bought and sold a bike, the transactions were about one week apart. used the original to buy the bike and tried to use a copy to sell a bike (Pattaya.) The nice Immigration guy refused the copy, citing his concern "Police Guarantee, Police Guarantee!"

Immigration is all about collecting papers and justifying their existence :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I just couldn't figure the logic. Ok if I have a work permit (I am guessing because showed proof of residency for) but not for retirement visa. Went to Immigration and got two. One extra for drivers license. Now I am thinking maybe I should have got about five of them, just in case. Can I use one for drivers license AND motor cycle license? Or do I need to go back and get a third?

Make some copies and try to use the copies rather than the original. Bring along the original to show.

Might work.

Edited by JSixpack

I dont think copies will work, just get the certificate that you need. They are only valid for a month or so, also, it has to state the reason for the certificate. Of course, if you are buying a car, and selling the old one, at the same time, then you should get two certificates.

Make some copies and try to use the copies rather than the original. Bring along the original to show.

Might work.

With a half decent printer ALL copies are originals wai2.gif

• Like 1

Might work.

With a half decent printer ALL copies are originals wai2.gif

whistling.gif

Not the same thing, but I recently used a copy (from an indecent printer) when opening a bank account. Sometimes it just depends on the time, place, and person--TIT. Hence I say it's worth a try.

• Like 1

The residence certificates from Pattaya immigration don't state an expiry date or a reason for being issued.

what they do state is date of issue your age,nationality,passport number, visa type,date of entry,date admited to stay in the country

and of course the address you've told them you live at

if you are getting drivers licences car + bike at the same time the DLT will except 1 original and 1 copy

the immigration office will try to sell you 2 originals.

post-2109-0-92413800-1390380298_thumb.jp

The residence certificates from Pattaya immigration don't state an expiry date or a reason for being issued.

what they do state is date of issue your age,nationality,passport number, visa type,date of entry,date admited to stay in the country

and of course the address you've told them you live at

if you are getting drivers licences car + bike at the same time the DLT will except 1 original and 1 copy

the immigration office will try to sell you 2 originals.

attachicon.gifresidence.jpg

Then later Immigration will accept the DL as proof of address for issuing another residency certificate.

Gotta love it! :)