Foreign numb nuts on stage

jkinbkk

All foreigners in Thailand should know that it's best to stay out of this, or risking being deported:

attachicon.gifimmigra (1).jpg

So why are the Thais so fearful that foreigners might join a protest??

Apparently is it a security issue. If a tourist is injured in a demonstration it can scare many other tourists off. Also if a group is standing and protesting and the other side sees them they might aim for the "farang" since it might make a bigger impact.

Also I would like to the thread, that I have Thai friends, that is thai born with foreign parents, and of cause they look exactly like farang but has never left the country. They can both vote and demonstrate. But my friends do not, but I believe there can be others.

If these tourists haven't already gotten the picture that it's probably best to avoid Thailand nowadays due to the political situation altogether, I don't know what else it will take. Why do people still come and put up with all this inconvenience? Nobody is forcing them to come here. If I wasn't working here right now, I certainly wouldn't be visiting Bangkok right now. There are plenty of other and better destinations to visit just in this region alone, no need to come to Thailand and especially to Bangkok right now...some visitors just don't get it.

Some tourists do get it,adventure tourism.It's all about seeing the world,its not all wats and beachs you know.I was a spectator in1991,great experience.

Edited by louse1953

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@OP: Whether you agree with what they are doing or not is it not better to actually be part of what THEY believe in rather than being the mighty keyboard warrior dissing those that actually get off their sofa?

Whoa! What they believe in has absolutely NO relevance, here. Tourist or otherwise, we have NO right to get involved! We are guests in this country and should not forget that! Crikey, life can be difficult enough for us farang who actually live here, without numskulls like this drawing attention to ourselves - especially at a time like this!

We all have rights,they don't' stop when you cross a border.Hide under the bed if your scared.

• Like 1

Neither side wants foreign tourists getting involved (even if they are legal citizens). God forbid this turns ugly, hundreds of people could lose their lives and it would be nothing more than a bullet point in most major western papers. But the first time a foreigner is killed or badly injured it becomes front page news on every newspaper around the world. Regardless of which side ends up winning this (both are equally corrupt) they are going to need the help of foreign nations (especially the UK, Australia and the US) to run this country. The last thing they need is dead tourists on their hands.

Right,get people from the above countries to help,they are such fine examples.

I think they are often winding the crowds up with xenophobic statements that they really can't be sure what a farang is going to say and thus can't be sure of the crowd reaction.

Being anti corruption doesn't make anyone agree 100% with Suthep. Their positions are contradictory and I am sure they wouldn't want any unpalatable truths on stage.

Some tourists do get it,adventure tourism.It's all about seeing the world,its not all wats and beachs you know.I was a spectator in1991,great experience.

Quite - I was a spectator in 1992 when there was real trouble. Certainly an experience and wouldn't want to witness it again.

NO forwigner has ever been deported for taking part in a demonstration that I know of.

Some people are paranoid wooses.

Quite - I was a spectator in 1992 when there was real trouble. Certainly an experience and wouldn't want to witness it again.

NO forwigner has ever been deported for taking part in a demonstration that I know of.

I think a couple of Farangs were deported a few yrs back for doing that, one was Australian, as mentioned in an earlier post.

• Like 2

not sure about what happened to this moron, but i would hazard a guess....... wink.png

One word for them, STOOPID! Pee off home to march outside Thai embassies and stop giving the rest of us a bad name you idiots. Things operate differently here and we are best off totally out of the picture.

• Like 2

Xpatmike - I'm sick to death of being told expats here are 'guests' in this country.

Guests don't buy condos, lease land, build houses, volunteer if possible to help those in need that their hosts ignore, marry the host's daughters and take on their kids or stay for as long as 20 years or more.

Nor do they leave their brains at the door when they come in.

Dictionary definition of 'guest' - a person visiting one's home by invitation; a visitor received and entertained gratuitously; a person honoured with hospitality by an organisation, government, etc - ad infinitum.

Suggestion - find a more apposite word and use it, or keep your inferiority complex to yourself!

• Like 1

We all have rights,they don't' stop when you cross a border.Hide under the bed if your scared.

Maybe on paper, but once you have been in Thailand for some time, perhaps a week, you'll understand the reality and it is that foreigners do not have rights. Do you think the police or immigration department or military care about your rights? Ask the Rohingya or the Burmese workers.

If the police won't even follow the most basic of protocols which is to advise a foreigner's embassy when they arrest a foreigner, do you honestly think they are going to listen to you if you lecture them on "freedom of expression".

In any case, the law is there in all its full glory. Go back and read what George and SeaVisionBurma posted earlier in the thread.

A foreigner who insists that he has rights usually realizes otherwise when left to languish in an overcrowded jail cell. Thai prisons are not pleasant places to be. It is not being scared to avoid participation in the protests. Rather it is common sense and prudence.

• Like 2

Xpatmike - I'm sick to death of being told expats here are 'guests' in this country.

Guests don't buy condos, lease land, build houses, volunteer if possible to help those in need that their hosts ignore, marry the host's daughters and take on their kids or stay for as long as 20 years or more.

Dictionary definition of 'guest' - a person visiting one's home by invitation; a visitor received and entertained gratuitously; a person honoured with hospitality by an organisation, government, etc - ad infinitum.

Suggestion - find a more apposite word and use it, or keep your inferiority complex to yourself!

The reality for most foreigners is that they are indeed viewed as a guest. If and when the Thai nation has no use for foreigners it will do to them what Idi Amin did to the S.E. Asian community, or the Egyptians did to its expat community.

You are absolutely correct if you say it is wrong and the examples you give illustrate the validity of your view. Unfortunately, there is a big gap between what is and what should be. One need not live in fear and one can assert himself, but the hard cruel reality is that if some Thai official wants a foreigner out of the country it can and will be done, once they suck as much money out of the person as they can.

Nonsense. Foreigners have been and will be continued to "ask to leave" if they engage in unlawful activities. It can be done in a no fuss manner without official fanfare. It occurred during the Redshirt protests. It is easier to do with someone on a basic tourist visa. Typically the people on work visas or retirement visas do not get mixed up in demonstrations. It is usually the younger kids who do not appreciate their actions or the guys without a pot to piss in that make the mistake.

• Like 1

Maybe on paper, but once you have been in Thailand for some time, perhaps a week, you'll understand the reality and it is that foreigners do not have rights. Do you think the police or immigration department or military care about your rights? Ask the Rohingya or the Burmese workers.

If the police won't even follow the most basic of protocols which is to advise a foreigner's embassy when they arrest a foreigner, do you honestly think they are going to listen to you if you lecture them on "freedom of expression".

In any case, the law is there in all its full glory. Go back and read what George and SeaVisionBurma posted earlier in the thread.

A foreigner who insists that he has rights usually realizes otherwise when left to languish in an overcrowded jail cell. Thai prisons are not pleasant places to be. It is not being scared to avoid participation in the protests. Rather it is common sense and prudence.

Well I still await the law the significant prohibits tourists from entering legal protests.

For example foreigners enter protests against the WTO in countries. So anyone got the law stating the foreigners are specifically barred from public protest.

Nonsense. Foreigners have been and will be continued to "ask to leave" if they engage in unlawful activities. It can be done in a no fuss manner without official fanfare. It occurred during the Redshirt protests. It is easier to do with someone on a basic tourist visa. Typically the people on work visas or retirement visas do not get mixed up in demonstrations. It is usually the younger kids who do not appreciate their actions or the guys without a pot to piss in that make the mistake.

Unless it's a criminal offense, under the constitution, they can't kick me out as I have Thai dependents.

• Like 1

Well I still await the law the significant prohibits tourists from entering legal protests.

For example foreigners enter protests against the WTO in countries. So anyone got the law stating the foreigners are specifically barred from public protest.

Big difference between joining a protest against the WTO in a nation that protects free speech, and joining a protest with the stated purpose of overthrowing the government in a country where they can throw you in the hoosgaw for saying something unfavorable against certain entities, and anyone can sue you for defamation even if what you say is the truth.

Joining a protest may be illegal- or it may not. Who cares? Working to overthrow the existing government will get you tossed out of just about any country you may visit, if they don't just toss you in jail.

Unless it's a criminal offense, under the constitution, they can't kick me out as I have Thai dependents.

cheesy.gif

Ya figure trying to overthrow the existing government may be considered a criminal offence under some law or the other?

When this all blows over, there will be hundreds of people poring over thousands of hours of videos and seeking retribution against those "on the other side". The big question is, which side will be doing the prosecuting and which side will be doing the defending?

They're still laying charges against people for 2010 and earlier. How long are you willing to look over your shoulder for the guys with the handcuffs?

Id have thought afer 20 years you would realise youre still just a guest.

Being able to buy a condo hardly makes you Thai.

If a Thai was on BBC TV right now telling us Brits about British politics i'd think he should clear off.

Edited by ffaarraanngg
  • Like 1

Can't pin a law down on it except perhaps covered under 'being rowdy'. biggrin.png

However the 2010 demonstrations did state as such - Thailand To Jail Foreigners at Political Rallies. The OP in the link does specify migrant workers but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't more encompassing.

Then we have in 2010 - Briton Arrested In Thailand Over Red Shirts Mass Protests and that was the 2nd Briton.

And also from 2010 - Briton And Australian Face Trial Over Thai Unrest. The Australian, not sure of the Briton, was jailed and released early due to ignorance (judge's comments) and deported.

The reasons were inciting riots but since this demonstration has been tagged as an act of insurrection/overthrowing a government who knows what could happen to a foreigner.

Quite. I too, am fed up with being described continually as 'a guest' who is supposed to grovel with gratitude for theso-called 'privilege' of being here. I pay large amounts of money as required to secure visas and permits to enable me

and my family to live and work here. I pay taxes and feed money into the economy. I choose to do it because

it is it is sufficiently profitable and my family are happy here. It is of course true that many people here

do not extend the same courtesies and considerations to non-Thais that Thais receive in other countries, but they are not alone in that!

Tourists and visitors are a different issue.

It doesn't matter what YOU think about your status here, the FACT remains that this country belongs to the Thais and it is UP TO THEM how welcoming vs xenophobic they want to be.

THEIR attitude is that we are tolerated to the extent we spend money here in ways that benefit the powers that be - and a very small number of us may contribute in a positive way otherwise - and NO pumping dollars into the poor upcountry villages is NOT considered to be of value by TPTB, they would prefer that sort of visitor stay away completely no matter how many houses they build or buffalo vet bills paid.

Any time a foreigner is perceived as butting in where our opinions aren't wanted, interfering in Thai business, will only cause friction and resentment, no matter how brilliant any of us may be in our ability to solve Thailand's problems, our advice and assistance isn't wanted.

Even when they PAY for such foreign advice they ignore it anyway.

So remembering that we are indeed temporary guests here - up to the point you get permanent residence, and even then you're opinion won't be welcome just they are less likely to kick you out - this is the way to have a smooth stay while we're here. Not a question of being afraid of anything, just choosing the best strategy to go along to get along.

There are of course those who love risk and conflict - the above only applies to those who value smooth relations and peace of mind.

• Like 1

I assume you have a PR then ? With temporary stay the immigration may just decide to cancel the permit to stay, dependents or not.

Yes, I had a friend got deported, was raising two children his wife had abandoned then she died but he had no legal standing, kids had to be put into an orphanage.

His biological son hadn't been properly registered so wasn't eligible to return home with him, had to pay a Thai family to take dare of him for over a year while he got stuff sorted via DNA testing.

Thai government didn't give a toss, international treaties and constitution BS aside. . .