Thaksin 'urges Yingluck to stay' as Prayuth demurs

webfact

POLITICS
Thaksin 'urges Yingluck to stay' as Prayuth demurs

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra almost gave in to resignation demands by the anti-government protesters on Sunday - but changed her mind at the last minute as her brother, former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, called to ask her to stay on and push for the February 2 election, sources said.

In a phone conversation with Army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha a day before the protesters' Bangkok shutdown began, Yingluck told the commander she was tired of the political tension and asked for his recommendation.

Prayuth declined to offer suggestions and said it was her call to make any decision. If anything untoward happened, it would be the prime minister's responsibility, he said.

Yingluck told Prayuth she would give an answer by 4pm Sunday. Many expected she would announce her resignation, the source said.

Yingluck later called a meeting with Pheu Thai Party executives and talked via Skype with Thaksin, who said the Constitution did not allow her to resign, according to the sources.

If she did resign, the protesters would ask the court to rule that she had violated the Penal Code's Article 157, which punishes officials who abandon their duty. She would face a jail term, he warned.

Separately, Army chief Prayuth told his subordinates to prevent violence during the anti-government protest.

To protect themselves from being attacked by unknown parties, soldiers should dress in plain clothes while guarding the many buildings of government agencies and their command posts, according to a source.

The military has deployed troops to act as security guards to many government agency buildings such as the Prime Minister's Office and the Government Complex, as well as protest sites.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-14

• Like 2

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What authority does this man have from a legal standpoint on this situation?

Could this article (if taken from statements directly from her and also possibly from the brawler himself) be an admission of associating with and acting on behalf for the benefit of a known fugitive?

If Thai law does not cover this kind of activity then perhaps it is time Thai law was modernised into the digital era to reflect this type of crime. This goes not only for dialogue between PTP and Thaksin but all other fugitives of the Kingdom - he is not the first and will not be the last unless the law is changed.

None, just like you

With the history of brother telling this government weret/when to jump, the legal problems they find themselves in, I think it may behove the PM to find another legal advice colomnist.

The Feb. 2 target, by many accounts/even recomendations is not going to happen, aministy propests appear slim to none. Maybe Thaksin may best look for a new line of work, aong with rest of those facing legal proceedings currently and not a what if/ maybe situation.

• Like 2

Forgot to say in my earlier post that if the story is true it's interesting she asked the army commander for advice. Of course she probably knew how family and the party grandees would respond or was it a question of asking Prayuth if resignation was a good idea before he and his merry men removed her from office.

• Like 1

I find it very difficult to believe that the rest of the world would accept Yingluck being held accountable if "something happens". What kind of rubbish is this? Thailand would become (even more of) an international laughing stock in the event that an elected PM is held responsible for the actions of anti-democratic street thugs. That would lead to sanctions, trade embargoes, investors fleeing the country, ASEAN intervention. It's complete rubbish. Classics case of blaming the victim.

Why is it so difficult to believe? The reds pushed for Suthep and Abhisit to accept responsibility for the results of the 2010 riots when they were in charge, so why wouldn't the current PM be held accountable for any results of actions taken now?

There is a big difference between the situations. In one case, someone bending over backwards to avoid confrontation, in the other a direct order to use force. In any case, I do not support pursuit of those responsible in 2010, preferring amnesty as a pathway to reconciliation

Direct order?

Provide proof if you can.

I'm sure you can't because it didn't happen

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The crazy thing is, if YS did resign as requested by the protesters, the Democrats probably would have the cheek to try and charge her for abandoning her duty!

Much in the same way they said the elections had to be postponed as parties could not register, it was there bloody protesters stopping people from registering.

I think the only feasible way out of this is for YS to resign with assurances that she would not be charged for AOD, and some relatively neutral person like Khun Anand to take charge for a period of time, perhaps 4-6 months until a new election can be called. Her resigning and handing over to a People's Council partially elected by the PDRC is simply unworkable and would never be accepted anywhere.

The fact that this is Suthep's one and only goal and has made it clear he won't negotiation leaves me with little doubt that the true reason for the protest from Suthep's perspective has little to do with corruption, vote buying etc

I find it very difficult to believe that the rest of the world would accept Yingluck being held accountable if "something happens". What kind of rubbish is this? Thailand would become (even more of) an international laughing stock in the event that an elected PM is held responsible for the actions of anti-democratic street thugs. That would lead to sanctions, trade embargoes, investors fleeing the country, ASEAN intervention. It's complete rubbish. Classics case of blaming the victim.

Why is it so difficult to believe? The reds pushed for Suthep and Abhisit to accept responsibility for the results of the 2010 riots when they were in charge, so why wouldn't the current PM be held accountable for any results of actions taken now?

There is a big difference between the situations. In one case, someone bending over backwards to avoid confrontation, in the other a direct order to use force. In any case, I do not support pursuit of those responsible in 2010, preferring amnesty as a pathway to reconciliation

Direct order?

Provide proof if you can.

I'm sure you can't because it didn't happen

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is not even a matter in dispute. Mr Abhisit has very publicly acknowledged the ordering of force in 2010. Just look at the BBC interview on the matter. It is not in dispute. My personal view is that it is time to move on from those events, tragic though they were, in the national interests. In the same way, I wish people would stop the obsession with Thaksin and get on with rebuliding the economy.

• Like 1

Should it not read Thaksin called her and TOLD her to stay on and probably in no uncertain terms.

But in reality it isn't that simple. Thaksin does not influence every decision the govt makes. lol. He makes decisions his sister doesn't know about (or agree with). And his sister makes decisions he doesn't know about (or agree with). Thaksin is also influenced by his coterie of advisors and during his term as PM he was often goaded into taking deliberately adversarial positions by his key aides, particularly Pansak. It's like in 2010, everyone thinks Thaksin alone was the one responsible for scuppering the 'deal'... yeah, well, part of it. But remember all the people on his side that stood to benefit too.

Who has power in terms of making executive decisions right now? Yingluck and Prayuth.

Edited by Emptyset